Skip navigation

Oil light and buzzer help plz

Back to the top

Oil light and buzzer help plz

Hi all, Hoping you can help. I put a new engine in my MK1 recently, found out since its an engine from a mk1 polo (1982). Engine is running sweet as a nut, but anything over 2000rpm and that hugely irritating buzzer cuts in… The light i can cope with. the buzzer i cannot. Have replaced the 1.8 bar sender but still the problem persists. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Dave  :D

Back to the top
check the wires are the right way round on the 2 sensors to start with, if you have 2 that is! the white 1.8bar sensor should have a blue/black wire, the blue/brown 0.3 bar will be the yellow wire

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
They are the correct way round. someone has advised earthing the yellow wire. should i do this?

Back to the top
if the oil pressures are as they should be and sensor is working this wont make any difference, but you can give it a try ;)

Back to the top
Gave it a try……….. Didnt work  :lol:

Back to the top
hi, i had exactly the same problem with my oil pressure sensor, 2000rmp buzzer and light, i bought 3 different sensors before getting the correct one from GSF, once fitted the problem went away, all i can say is try another sensor if you,ve done everything else and everthing seems fine.

Back to the top
if you buy a new pressure switch get it from vw, pattern ones are rubbish

Back to the top
I replaced the 1.8 bar sender with a pattern one from Euro car parts. You think maybe this has something to do with it?

Back to the top
could well be, the 1.8 sender is the one that triggers the buzzer over 2k

Back to the top

Chunktheskunk said

They are the correct way round. someone has advised earthing the yellow wire. should i do this?

Earth the blue wire :wink: Thats the one that operates above 2000rpm.

If not that then its the clocks.  Theres a little guide in the Electrical FAQ how to diagnose the problem :D

Back to the top
feck yes, its blue/black for the high pressure wire on a mk1, yellow is mk2 :lol:

Back to the top
To jump on the end of this; i am now having the same problem, went ahead and replaced both sensors (didn't need to but then at least I now know that they are both new).

But i still get the buzzer when over 2000rpm, i take it the next course of action would be to check the oil pressure with a gauge? Although with new sensors this shouldn't be needed.

Or/as well check valve clearances? I am a little confused by it, little thing was working fine, topped up the oil cause it was a little low, now leaving me with headaches from the buzzer.

Does the sensor go nuts if you put in too much oil …. I dont think that i have, the dipstick (in the engine not me) reads at the top of the two dimples on the stick.

Everyone loves pictures, my little 1.1 formel e block post new sensors … yellow wire to blue sensor, low pressure switch, green (but black/blue-ish post little block, which has always been there) to high pressure

If the sensors go on the other way round, the the oil light flashes away to its hearts consent … so working switches there i think.

Any help here chaps, thanks.

Back to the top
argh chocolate blocks! the devils work. you may have a dodgy contact in them, if it was me i would cut right back and solder in fresh wire.

did you double check the ratings on the old sensors that you took out, as im not sure if the small block ones are slightly different ratings

Back to the top
Tried earthing... still have the dreaded shriek! Halp plz

Back to the top
Oh, And Rubjonny. Can you send me a link to where i can get some GENUINE VW senders. Its drivig me nuts lol

Back to the top
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/find-a-retailer

click put your post code in, then tick parts ;)

Back to the top
Thank you very much mate.

Back to the top
Does anyone think using 10w40 oil might have been the cause? just looking at another thread and someone mentioned it as a possibility?

Back to the top
not unless theres something wrong with your engine!

Back to the top
All seems good so far. have had 2 mechanics look at it. They say oil pressure is fine. still the buzzing continues. Its funny because i got the car in such unmolested condition it doesn't even have a stereo. just a cubbyhole where it should be. I intended to keep it that way, but now i may have to install a head unit to stop me going completely mental!  :banghead:  

Just waiting on an email back from a VW garage re pressure switches. fingers crossed this cures it. Before bugjam.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.