Skip navigation

Atommans Mars Red 1.1 Project

Back to the top

Atommans Mars Red 1.1 Project

Ive got a spare drivers side engine mount which is going cheap, its been slightly bent out a few mm in a vice, nothing that couldn't be rectified though, the bush has been removed too, ready for a new one.

Next time your down the factory (JP's) let me know if your still after one.

Back to the top
Nice looking motor, look forward to seeing this develop!

Back to the top
just managed to get on a machine and do a manifold  :)

Made it out of T6 Aluminium , I've got some ali tube to for the pipe work.

Now just need to get the engine in so i can work out how long/angle to make the maifold.

Back to the top
Bit more done over the weekend

1100 mount chopped off moved turned upside down and rewelded on in the right place for a big block

Engine finally ready to go in , did have to take the header off as it was never gonna fit with that on.

Supriseinly didn't take to long after about 10 mins it was in and bolted up to all the mounts  :)

Got the exhuast Manifold bolted back on to and also the gear linkage  and the Rad in and started plumbing it all back in.

I can start measuring now and start welding up my carb manifold  :)

does anyone know what clutch cable i need ?

I have just made my old one fit at the moment and it seem to work, io did have another one with the engone and box but the end is wrong on the pedal side.

Back to the top
Nice work :D

Liking the cnc'd inlet mount, wish I was still a machinist sometimes!

As for clutch cable, you can use a mk1 cable, gti for example as 5 speed. I used a mk1 diesel 5 speed cable as it bends 90 degrees as it leaves the bulkhead, and you can hide it around the back of the bay. Though I think the pedal action is a little stiffer because of the bend, but not too bad.

Back to the top
been down workshop today as i was feeling like i have'nt done anything on the car for days.

finished mocking up the inlet manifold for the bike carbs. so fitted it to see what it was like for clerence to exhaust etc

Also managed to get some steelies that clear my brake upgrade im gonna do, but they are only 6J so a bit of machining and

Now in two bits

just need to offer them up to the car and measure how much i can Band them  :)

im thinking 7's and 8's like my compomotives or maybe 8's and 9's  :D

Back to the top
Nice Project mate..... Have you changed the engine or kust modified the existing engine...

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top

allana13 said

Nice Project mate….. Have you changed the engine or kust modified the existing engine…

Yep changed the engine, it was only a little 1100 and i think the head gasket was starting to go and it didnt like the motorway on the way to work with the 4 speed box.

one of my mates had a mk 2 gti engine and box for sale so a deal was struck and now its 1.8 with 5 speed  :)

Back to the top
Looking great so far!  8)

Is that your splitty parked next to the Golf?

Mrs Choc Rolls Stock!

Back to the top

Choc said

Looking great so far!  8)

Is that your splitty parked next to the Golf?

cheers

nope not mine a friends I look after, it a OG RHD UK doormobile conversion, its pretty nice apart from his choice of colour  :lol: , but each to there own,

Ive had a few splits thou in my time

Back to the top
about time for an update, back from snowboarding now and been on the car all day today

fitted up centre console i was given, rev counter and oil trmp and pressure gauges, just need the sender for the pressure gauge,

bike carbs are on the back burner as have'nt had time to CNC the manifold, so got this twin weber manifold instead .

manifold fitted had to take the exhuast off first then refit it after bolting it up, fuel lines all plumbed in to. car started first time  :D
just need a blanking plug for the lambda sensor and tweak the timing a bit now, sounds awsome though  8)

Also started to fit the front arches and twin light grill and duckbill, had to wind up the front coilovers as the spoiler was on the floor  :lol:

I do like the single grill better but driving round the lanes in the dark round here i need the extra light,

just need to machine the other driveshaft this week and fit it and maybe then a test drive

Back to the top
Time for a quick christmas update,

turkeys on and wine is open  :D

Other drive shaft is now machined up and fitted, carb's are on, linkage is working but need to come up with a better solution as its a bit heath robinson :lol:

also need to fit a diesel clutch cable asa it fouls one of the filters at mo,

heres the first start up timming only set roughly at 0' to get it going

took it out for a quick test drive and then needed to adjust the gearlinkage as 1st and 2nd were in the reverse gate.

with a bit of  tweak to the timming and the linkage I took it out yesterday and gave it a bit of a test run in the old industrial estate in between rain

seems to go pretty well and pulls like train, bit lumpy on tick over but thats to be expected with a cam

exhuast is a bit leaky from one of the joints and there is an little air leak so a bit more work and i will take it up the rolling road and set it all up properly

Merry Christmas All  :D

Back to the top
took the car out for a spin yesterday, was all good until i broke down, problem seemed to be lack of fuel and had an airlock ?

so after a bit of plumbing at the side of the road i bypassed the feul pressure regulator and it seemed to solve the problem.

then stooped in a mates house for a cup of tea on the way home and managed to loose the gearstrick when itried to get it in to reverse  :lol:  

the only bush i didnt replace in the gearlinkage was the ball on the gearstick, another job for tonight  :)

Back to the top
Sounds like you're having fun with her. Good to hear she's up and running anyway. Good work  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Took the car out fore its first proper drive yesterday

And put some new wheels on it, In the proccess of sorting out bigger brakes so will need 15's on it,

Might sell the other 13's if anyone is interested, there 7's and 8's.

Also i have a 4 into 1 header on it and a stainless middle section with a silencer in it but the back box is way to loud,

Anyone know of a replacement thats pretty quite ? will a standard GTI back box rob it of power ?

Cheers

Gary 

Back to the top
Looks well mate.
Ive just took the 1.1 4 speed out of mine.
Keep us updated :-)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.