Skip navigation

Atommans Mars Red 1.1 Project

Back to the top

Atommans Mars Red 1.1 Project

Hello All

Finally found a decent Mk1 a few weeks ago off a freind, someone else was gonna buy it but let him down so i had a phone call saying it was mine if I wanted it  :D  

Main thing I wanted was a 2 door none sunroof shell that was solid and had'nt been muched about with to much, I wanted a bit of a blank canvas and didn't want to pay for a GTI that had been lowered, screwed and abused.

so eneded up with this 1.1 Golf C as im gonna be changing the engine engine size did'nt bother me.

Plan was to get it running, Slam it on coilovers with the wheels I had for it and MOT and drive it about for summer while a sort out engine and gearbox and do this next winter.

Heres the wheels  :) Compomotive CX's 7's for the front and 8's for the rear, the fronts were pretty good but the backs needed a good polish, after a few hours on my lathe in work going through the grades heres the before and after

and after a quick prep and some gold paint  :)

Coilovers turned up to

Been trying to get it going but from reading threads on here mk 1's are proned to rusty crap in the tank :roll:  after new points, condenser, cap etc etc. I got it running so i could get it out of the barn it was in.

Back to the top
Car has a reallt good interior to  :) headliner is real good and so are all the panels no rips and have cleaned up very well.

even the spare wheel well is in nice condition apart from a few scratches on the shock towers

Back to the top
A bit of a suprise with the door mirrors, the bloke said that some one had nicked the black plastic one years ago and he went down the scrappy and got some old one off another golf, turns out it was an ealry car with nice chrome mirrors  8)  

Now to the lowering my favorite part !! car's just look better slammed in my opinion,

Took a while working out which tyres to run, i wanted a bit of stretch but not to much so ened up with 185/55/13's on the 8" rears and 165/60/13's on thr 7" fronts

I thought i would just wind the coilovers right down to there lowest setting and go from there  :lol:

one side done with nice new disc's and pads and new rear drums.

Back to the top
Now to today's work.

Brought a friend a full fry up this morning and he dropped the golf off at my unit for me. nice one Dai !! but did have to raise the rear suspension a bit as we couldn't it get on the trailer  :lol:

started off by giving it a good scrub and steam clean to get the years of grime off it ready for a mop. Also took all the wheels off and gave it a good blast.

was quite suprised how well it came up

After a few hours of polishing and giving the glass a good clean it came up pretty well  :)

All ready for moday now to fingers crossed take it for MOT.

The only thing that i cant get working is the rear wiper ?

is there a relay for this on the fuse box ?

Back to the top
Looks like a nice base.

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
Looks nice and solid. Fingers crossed.

MK1 Cabby '90 R.I.P

'83 tin top gti

Back to the top
Good work so far

my rear wiper didn't work, was just a dirty sitch on the stalk quite easy to clean if you get the column cover off

good luck with the MOT

Back to the top
great base car and looking good!

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Managed to get the blower motor out and change it, took a while to suss out how to get it out the front  :lol:

one job left to do today before MOT at 2.30 pm  8O  just need to get the rear wiper working

and the rear camber shims have turned up so i can sort out the rear toe and camber  :)

Back to the top
Nice looking starting point you've got there!

Good luck with the MOT.

Back to the top
Good luck with the MOT!

Lovely looking Mk1 you've got there :)

Steff

I saw a crinkly peanut tomorrow

Back to the top
Very nice!! Its sits well, good tyre choices!

The Mk1 Golfs older and better looking sibling……..

Back to the top
Nice little car there.
I'm sure the rear wiper isn't part of the MOT for a car this age. You can always come back to it once the car is legally running around. Seized motors, seized linkage, dirty contacts and fuses have all conspired against me with rear wiper motors in the past. If you think the heater fan was hard to remove, wait until you have to replace the rear wiper motor without dinting the tailgate.

1980 Mars Red GTI BRMotorsport 142
1983 Black GTI

Back to the top
little update

Did'nt make it to MOT last week  :(  broke down about 18 times in all, then i friend came and towed me home.

cars seems to run fine then just run out of fuel then after a few minutes will start up and go for about 10 feet then die,

I have pulled the tank and cleaned it not really any rust in there  :? I have blown through all the hard fuel lines and they were clear to  :?

So i have put a new fuel pump on and checked that the tank breather is clear and now the car seems fine,

Also i had no centre caps for my compomotives so i thought i would make some in work as it was a bit quite today. I did a quick design the other day, so i just set up the CNC and let it rip  :)  

Heres the fronts which are flat

and the rears that stick out to cover the rear bearing covers

On the wheels
Fronts

Rears

Could'nt decide wether to make them all like the rears so they all look the same, so ended up doimg front and rears.

What you guys reckon ?

Oh and MOT is rebooked for tomorrow hopefully i will get there this time  :lol:

Back to the top
Right time for a bit of an update

Engine was a bit spluttery last few times ive used it but been given a 8v mk2 gti lump and box you thats gonna get fitted,

Been trying to locate all the right parts I need for the conversion after a bit of research theres quite a bit I need to convert from small block to big block.

A big thanks to the freindly guys on here for advise and help in getting the right bit's  :D  :D

Back to the top
mate those wheels are the bomb,jammy git stubling onto the wing mirrors.very jealous

Back to the top
Cheers man  :D

got the engine out last night to

all go this weekend hopefully

Back to the top
Bit of an update  :)

engine out

Strip and clean PB lump,

Back to the top
nice car mate, love them wheels.

Back to the top
bit more work done on sunday

fuel pump and reg mounted

Wrapped the manifold and messed around with where to place the carbs

Done some measurements and started machining up the flange for the inlet manifold today
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.