Skip navigation

speed trap and flashing headlights

Back to the top

speed trap and flashing headlights

Was reported in the paper today that Lancashire Police had in place a mobile speed trap they handed out 20 speeding tickets and 20 "Miss use of headlights tickets for folks flashing to warn of the speed trap(like we all do, or should do)

Question, where does it state in any law, rule book about flashing headlights being illegal? highway code states not to flash headlights to intimidate other drivers.

Have the police over stepped the line here?
all a driver is doing when he flashes to warn a driver about a speed trap is helping to prevent a crime from being committed.

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top
I agree Andy.

All I'm doing is flashing a driver to make sure they are driving "safely", surely I'm taking onboard what they call these speed camera vans around here……."safety partnership vehicle"

:wink:

Back to the top
I'd imagine the "misuse of headlights" will be incredibly hard for the police to prove, in a court of law. The fact that they issued a ticket is the easy way out for them - plenty of people, faced with the prospect of a court visit and/or further offences, will bend over, pay the ticket and put it behind them.

"Misuse of headlights" would be incredibly easy to defend in a court of law - simply say you'd passed a slow lorry, or something, and that's a fair enough reason to flash headlamps.

As I remember, people have been done for it though - there was a famous case which was fought and lost, but can't remember the details of it.

Back to the top
Surely you could argue that if the purpose of the speed trap was to slow people down, then those flashing them were actually assisting the police in the course of their duties??

Its always said that they are "safety cameras" and not there just to collect revenue, therefore theres no harm done.

'91 Clipper Cabby
'02 Mk4 Tdi Estate
'67 Riley Elf
'79 Mini Clubman estate

Back to the top
So what would happen if i had a sign printed on my car and drove up and down past the police van saying "Warning Police speed trap Ahead, Slow Down" could i get done for that or would that be miss use of a sign?????

Back to the top

paul_c said

As I remember, people have been done for it though - there was a famous case which was fought and lost, but can't remember the details of it.
The guy defended himself and very badly at that basically he didn't put up the kind or argument I would have.

Back to the top
There's another one I remember, where someone had one of those big high roof Transit vans. He'd follow the police camera van and when it parked up, wait about 5 mins then park his van right in the way of its little camera window.

Back to the top

A5OPY said

So what would happen if i had a sign printed on my car and drove up and down past the police van saying "Warning Police speed trap Ahead, Slow Down" could i get done for that or would that be miss use of a sign?????

there was a case that a pedestrain was charged, having made a sign warning motorists of a camera van further down the road.
Point on his licence as well :dontknow:  :banghead:  :roll:

Back to the top
My works van has the screen wash stalk and headlight flasher on opposite sides to my car, I regularly flash oncoming cars before washing my screen. Is that now an offence?

Back to the top

JonP said

A5OPY said

there was a case that a pedestrain was charged, having made a sign warning motorists of a camera van further down the road. Point on his licence as well :dontknow: :banghead: :roll:
How the hell did they get away with that? what was the crime??
and how did he get points if he wasnt even driving or in charge of a vehicle??

Did notice today that this story was featured on Jeramey Vine show BBC Radio 2.

as far as i'm aware its not illegal to flash headlights if fact its in the highway code to use flashed headlights to warn drivers if the horn cannot be heard so it cant be illegal can it??

Back to the top
i can't remember what they trumped up to charge him with, I'm sure Jeremy Vine covered it at the time.

I just remember he made a sign and stood on a bridge warning drivers.

Back to the top
My TomTom Live sat nav has a function to upload mobile speed camera sites at the push of a button, then other live users will get a warning. Funny how the UK law works.

Back to the top
But the real point is should we need warning?

Back to the top
hi all i travel to aberdeen from yorkshire there are 74 fixed camera plus 5 vans min  do i need flashing yes i do.

Back to the top

carling said

hi all i travel to aberdeen from yorkshire there are 74 fixed camera plus 5 vans min  do i need flashing yes i do.

I think the point he was making though, is that if you simply kept to the speed limit, it doesn't matter how many camera vans or how sneaky they are, you won't get done for speeding.

Back to the top

Bella said

But the real point is should we need warning?
well there are signes by law that have to be there on the site of a speed camera so what's the difference?? both tell you to slow down!

Back to the top
I would say that the offence would be 'obstructing an officer in the course of his duty'.

The camera van has a civilian staff member in it - unless the officer is using his enforcement camera, which, by the time you've blasted past the van it would be too late!!!

Another example of the offence would be if you were arrested and gave false details in custody. That's what you'd be charged with.
Perverting the course of justice is for MUCH more serious issue and a flash of the headlamps wouldn't fit the bill.

They should be giving the ticket with the correct offence code otherwise it'll be an abuse of process!!

Back to the top

Dano said

I would say that the offence would be 'obstructing an officer in the course of his duty'.

The camera van has a civilian staff member in it - unless the officer is using his enforcement camera, which, by the time you've blasted past the van it would be too late!!!

Another example of the offence would be if you were arrested and gave false details in custody. That's what you'd be charged with.
Perverting the course of justice is for MUCH more serious issue and a flash of the headlamps wouldn't fit the bill.

They should be giving the ticket with the correct offence code otherwise it'll be an abuse of process!!

How can you be obstructing an officer in his line of duty if you flash your light is that what you mean or parking the van next to the speed van.
if its for flashing your lights  you are not obstructing an officer in the line of duty as you are preventing a crime from being committed same as it would be if you were to see a knife wielding yob about to stab someone and you did nothing as there is a police officer stood a few feet away if you did act and stop the stabbing would you then be guilty of  obstructing an office because you stopped a crime being committed?? as they said on the Vine show a legal mine field all this tends to do is get the public against the police as they feel they are just doing it to raise funds and not help make the roads safer. does not encourage you to help the police with their enquires if you have just been ticketed  for flashing your headlights does it?

Back to the top
I know your game!!!  :mrgreen:

I think that people are able to tell serious crime from a traffic infringement. A speeding ticket wouldnt stop a lot of people helping out if they saw a serious crime in progress or if they had information…….. after all with holding informaton could be seen as 'assising an offender'….. another moreseroiu offence!!  :wink:

Back to the top
We're not talking about withholding information though?

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.