Skip navigation

1983 5 door 1.8t conversion (NOW FOR SALE)

Back to the top

1983 5 door 1.8t conversion (NOW FOR SALE)

nice collection of parts.

Back to the top
nice turbo choice. is your can 15mm outlets ?

Back to the top

peterg60 said

nice turbo choice. is your can 15mm outlets ?

Yer turbo will see me 260bhp witch is enough without a LSD  lol

Yes 15mm in/out lets 16mm pipe 3m of and a 15mm t piece only reason is the pipe will have to fit over the rocker cover outlet witch is 19mm so it will be a tight fit but then the pipe won't be hanging off the rest of the stuff i.e can ect

Back to the top
Did the catch can mod today.

Pretty simple but i got to say if you do this mod be very gentel when removing the not needed pipe from the crank breather as they are very brittle and snap like mine did.

Parts needed :

1. catch can with 15mm in and out let tips.
  2. 3M of 16mm piping oil/water anything like that.
  3. 6 1" D clips (the catch can one's will be to small)
  4. 15mm T peace
  5. flat head crew driver
  6. Alan key's
  7. Stanley knife or a sharp knife

Basically you need to remove all the breather pipes and simplise it as it is in the diagram you can remove the hokey puk (tip breather) from the intake pipe and just block that hole up and direct the pipe down the back of the gear box as i did just gets rid of all the tight bunched up parts around the DV.

Any question on this mod just as took me half hour to do.

Back to the top
Drove the car for the first time was ok but still have few bits to rub out and the mapping needs sorting. its over heating on the dash but its not if that makes sense also the window wipers are making the battery light come on and the positioning of the stalk is all wrong ???

Here is a pic of here at the min

Back to the top
car when it was running got a problem with the ecu poping still

Back to the top
Been having mega problems with the golf, ecu got spiked some how so had to strip the loom and re-put it back in. new ecu came the other day just waiting to have the immo removed and then once its working mapping time.

Back to the top
She is alive now after re-striping the loom and buying a new ECU had here over a tone today to naughty but nice…

Back to the top
So been driving the car few issues the ignition amplifier played up and then the coolant flange failed on me so had to order one from vw, got the parts today but also had to put a fuel relay in place today and fitted my new break lights i got from Paul cheers buddy here some pics

Also sprayed the intercooler black not so showie now :)

Back to the top
Hi mate how's it going I saw a car like yours in rugby on Sunday afternoon with the bonnet up was that you?????

Back to the top

simongolf83 said

Hi mate how's it going I saw a car like yours in rugby on Sunday afternoon with the bonnet up was that you?????

Lmao hello mate yer that was me and the Mrs the fan had packed up on the rad so she got hot and lost water.

Back to the top
Was going to stop and have a chat but I didn't put 2&2 together till I got to the parents house. Did you get it going in the end?

Back to the top

simongolf83 said

Was going to stop and have a chat but I didn't put 2&2 together till I got to the parents house. Did you get it going in the end?

Yer got it sorted in a fashion thanks to Paul coming to my aide,  think i need a new fan or bigger rad. Should of stopped you could of got wet too lol

Back to the top
I had the kids with me? Apart from the fan it's working fine then?

Back to the top

simongolf83 said

I had the kids with me? Apart from the fan it's working fine then?

Yer just need to sort the fan out then its being mapped :)

Back to the top
Ok so been having heating issues been trying to sort this for few weeks come to conclusion that the top fill rad is not working and or my thermostat might be playing up so after making a shourd and putting new fan on it i spoke to few people and now ordered a low temp fan switch and low temp thermostat and now going for a mk2 1.8 rad, going to do a flush on the system then put it all on at once.

Some pictures of my new fan and modified mk1 shourd

Back to the top
Ok so my low temp switch and low temp thermostat arrived today just waiting on the new rad also been and got myself some heavy duty rad cleaning solution and coolant/anti freeze ready for a proper job.

Awsome Neuspeed 108f thermostat link

neuspeed 180f 2pin fan-switch link

Will keep you updated lets hope this sorts my problem out before it go's for mapping  :?

Back to the top
Excellent work !!
 how do you find the cable clutch mechanism ?  what cable did you use? I am thinking of using the same setup on mine but have read mixed opinions on it.

76 ?
78 gls
83 gti 5v

Back to the top
used the seat cable and in my opinion with the vr6 clutch and the g60 fly its pretty nice i have not had any issues with it

Back to the top
So rad is here and i'm a little confused here what is the difference between the topfill and the mk2 1.8 with the header tank ? They look just the same bar the fact the mk2 1.8 rad has one more bar in it??? Oh well going to fit it anyway.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.