Skip navigation

1983 5 door 1.8t conversion (NOW FOR SALE)

Back to the top

1983 5 door 1.8t conversion (NOW FOR SALE)

Well what a day i have had on the mk1.

Pretty much been on it since 10am till 17.00pm and got i would say a fair bit done along side my buddy.

Started off as i got to the unit my mate had fitted the starter motor with threded bar as bolts as i couldn't find any to fit.
He had also sorted the water hoses out to.

Next step was the gear shifter now i had a mk4 one come with the engine and from what i read every one was trying to stay away from these as they are large and have long cables, but this wasn't going to stop me having ago.

Basic is you need to cut about 10mm out the hole at the front for the box to fit snug and then drill the two holes to bolt it in a bracket will be needed to bolt the back of the selector from inside the car as i ran this box under the car in the exhaust tunnel.

Once i had this in the next setp was to fit the linkages up the the box and find the gears and what a nightmare this was but ounce found and all sorted the gearing was quiet nice.

Next bit was to put the loom in the engine bay to the fusebox in the engine this was pretty easy part from remembering what was what on the old loom lol  :banghead:

Anyway as i had left the ecu at home there wasn't much else to do plus we was no where near starting the car yet.

Next up was the larger servo for the breaks this was a fiddly job but pretty simple, then the new turbo inlet pipe was fitted this was tight and as we had the next job of fitting the intercooler we noticed the battery was in the way so we had to make it fit to suit the bay.

If any one has fitted one of these you know what a pain in the butt they are but its all sorted now. That was it for the day don't sound much but that lot took the hole day, will be back on it to mos hoping to have it running so all have your fingers crossed please :)

Back to the top
New sump fitted today. Having issues starting the car also killed the starter motor :(

Pictures of new sump.

More updates soon

Back to the top
Looking good so far mate can't wait to see it.

Back to the top
Having mega issues getting the engine running first not spark or fuel at all, got the spark but still no fuel.

Killed the starter off so had to get new one still not running.

Now we think its the extremal pump Arrgghhhhh

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

:dontknow:

Back to the top
I had the same problem with mine getting fuel but only for about 5 secs from starting and then it cut out and wouldnt start. I am running oem management and i dont have my rev counter working yet as i still need to get my rev counter converter but with this in mind the rev counter sends a signal to the fuel pump i believe so instead of using a no 2 fuel pump relay i used a number 18 which cuts all live on turning the ignition but keeps the fuel pump constantly running when the ignition is on, this is only a temp thing until i get the converter, maybe worth a shot?

Back to the top
Eninge running :)

Back to the top
well done

Back to the top

JonP said

well done

Cheers mate was a nightmare ended up being a fuse put in the fuse box that didn't need to be there lol and the ignition amp was little corded on the pin's wear it had sat for so long :)

Back to the top
Dust any body dust lol

Just waiting on exhaust pipes to make up my custom exhaust and then fit seats and carpet

Back to the top
Ok so the cars running and now it is time for the few last jobs before a good run in for the engine.

Next up was the carpet witch i brought of a guy from ebay and waited for about 4 months for it to be maid and i got to say it not worth the money or the hassle of fitting it witch was an awful fit but makes the car look better than the old one. The porsche seats went in next and sit really nice in the car just need to fit a live to them so the leaky part works.

Back on it weekend :)

Back to the top
Looking good, can't beat an FI powered mk1, it'll be embarrassing some drivers no doubt.

Back to the top
nice car  man loadsa nice bits on it too.Are u using the  original o2A  tower on the gearbox and just changing the (arms) over to the o2j  set up?

Back to the top

gafo said

nice car  man loadsa nice bits on it too.Are u using the  original o2A  tower on the gearbox and just changing the (arms) over to the o2j  set up?

The box is a 02a from a mk3 golf with a earlia 02j gear rod in it with audi tt short shifter and cable links. :)

Back to the top
thanks mate, is there any part no. on the bits you have there

Back to the top
Impressive work there mate, I just wish I could get a full, interrupted week to work on mine!!!  :banghead:

Back to the top

gafo said

thanks mate, is there any part no. on the bits you have there

witch parts you after the numbers for ?

Back to the top

Spidermonkey84 said

Impressive work there mate, I just wish I could get a full, interrupted week to work on mine!!!  :banghead:

Cheers buddy. I had to book the week off work and get on it lol

Back to the top
Just a quick update going to go for a different turbo set up going to have a K04-001 turbo with bigger injectors and a 3" MAF witch should give me 260-270bhp out of the tubby as they are a direct fit to the k03/k03s set up its not as much work involved as a K04 set up.

Back to the top
Brand new tubby arrived and second hand 310cc injectors for the turbo set up to go ahead soon as the 3" vr6 maf arrives, decided to do a catch can mod on the car to really simple but good benefits, will do a little how i did it and parts needed when i do it :)

Back to the top
:)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.