Skip navigation

Chortles Project Green Rivage. New roof time....

Back to the top

Chortles Project Green Rivage. New roof time.....

Made em myself, got the stuff off e Bay, the elastic straps were £1.79 plus P&P no more than a couple a quid or so. The buckles came withe the elastic too so it was a case of sewing the straps that go round the seat legs and then attaching the press studs on the other. The clips stayed on the other end so you can adjust the tension.

The Velcro wasn't much. the most expensive bit was the press stud kit, but it comes complete with all fixings for 12 sets of press studs plus the tools to apply, that came in around £6.00.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
wow break the bank haha, thanks for the info, didnt realise the straps wer diy, they look professional. good work.

mk1 golf - resto
mk3 polo breadie - daily banger

Back to the top

dal said

Are you going to change the needles colour on the dash back to white, only the Sportlines had red needles?

Cheers

Davie

Thats wrong info.

Back to the top

BigNormRivage said

dal said

Are you going to change the needles colour on the dash back to white, only the Sportlines had red needles?

Cheers

Davie

Thats wrong info.

You sure? I thought it was only Sportlines with the orange needles? If your clocks are original orange needle sets (as in a genuine clock set rather than painted needles) the fascia panel around the clocks should be a dark silver/grey against the black clock faces, rather than black on black.

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
top work on windbreaker mate !

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
There was a thread about it before and quite a few people with Rivages knew there clocks were original and had orange needles.

Ive since been in touch with the original owner of my car (about other bits) and the needles were orange from factory

Back to the top

BigNormRivage said

There was a thread about it before and quite a few people with Rivages knew there clocks were original and had orange needles.

Ive since been in touch with the original owner of my car (about other bits) and the needles were orange from factory

Ah, cool, can't remember seeing the other thread. Possibly VW using what was available at the factory towards the end of production?

Good to know you've traced back to the original owner.  8)

Bringing it back on topic, yours is looking great Chortle, you've done a nice job on the deflector!

Back to the top
Went into my shed today and seen the indicators, my roof rack, radio, bonnet and bumper, boot etc & just so want to get my car sorted. No way is it gonna be ready for AGM with this weather, so still coming in the Rivage as it is.

Back to the top
no point in rushin it mate, it will look sweet when all done :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Hey Carl, hows the Rivarge coming on? Been looking through the thread and it makes good reading. Looking forward to seeing it again. Is there any news on the re-spray? It will look the dogs danglys after that.

Banner

Back to the top
Tiny update lol,

New rubber rocker gasket fitted at the AGM.
Cheers Glen and Dek.

Going to see jelly next week for some tinkering.

Need to take the clocks out and sort the MFA screen and the broken mile reset stick.

Back to the top
Still got the clock parts here if you need them dude.  8)

Back to the top
Hi Gav,

Sorry fella not got back to you.
Pm me a price and I can decide.
Save me a job of going of going round the scrappers.

Back to the top
Well I managed to get some Green bits from a Rivage being broken, so massive thanks to Dek and Jelly Belly for giving me a hand, have changed the bonnet, tailgate, drivers wing, front bumper.
Rear bumper to do yet, but decided to freshen up the arches with new paint.

(pics to follow)

Whilst at it I picked up a Hirscmann automatic Ariel off e bay last year, mine was snapped on the car when I got it, so it needed replacing anyway.

I noticed the connections were the same on the old ariel which turned out to be an automatic one as well.

So the swapping over should be simples….
turns out that the radio that came with the car never tuned in and I needed an adapter for the back of the  lead so it would fit the Ariel socket on the stereo, a quick trip to the motor factors and £2.49 I was good to go, or not. Jelly discovered that the PO had just chopped the cables off and stuck them together with tape so that's why no signal was getting to the stereo.
So the new cable was put in after a bit of a faff.
So just got to shorten the power cables to the ariel motor and that's all done.

So I set about the sorting the clocks out as the MFA was dead.

I had a donor set I was going to cannibalize, but luckily Gav had some bits left over, so had them so cheers Gav.

You can see why it wasn't working blown resistor and diodes..

The donor set I put in for time being, so I could use the car, turned out to be dead too. Nothing at all.
So I swapped the Voltage regulator over from the original set and they worked.
Happy days.

I managed to get hold of some new regulators, but these were slightly different. So needed a little work.

Easy to remove one screw and slide out.

Old regulator at the top. New one with straight legs and one showing how the bends in the outer legs need to be.

The new Regulator doesn't have a kink in it like the old one on the back plate, so didn't sit flush.
So just trimmed these 2 black spots down and then screwed the new one in place.

It was easy to swap the mileage reset stalk as it just unscrews..

So clocks all built back up and ready to go back in then I noticed rev counter needle….
I pulled the needle off when I needed to swap the circuit board underneath, now it just hangs down.

Any Idea of a fix anyone?

So took the wheel arch covers off, to find all this body work glue.

Any idea on whats best to use to remove it?
Just been picking at it really.

Once that's all off, its paint and waxoil before the kit goes back on.

I had noticed my Alarm had stopped chirping and I wanted to know why all the functions bar from the noise worked. I managed to get hold of an installers guide to my alarm and it states the siren housing etc needs a 12V+ feed and checking around with the meter showed there was no supply.
So a new + supply found and sorted and I am chirpping again.

These siren boxes have a back up battery in them also and its common for these to cause a no noise problem too.

So looked for a spare and no luck.
I remembered as a youth the old cordless phone we had, great big Ariel on it, with talk time of 3 minutes lol.

On changing a battery in one of these phones a couple or three times before, realized they were similar, so a look on e bay for cordless phone batteries led me to two 3.6V batteries, although the one for the alarm is 7.2V by connecting them in series, Pos to Neg I will get the 7.2v anyway and at an extra 5o mAh to boot, these were the closest I could find to the origional battery anyway.

All I will do is swap the plastic insulating sheet over and solder the wires together and wrap in some tape and re cable tie them back in.

No difference in size.

Once that's done will put the arch liners in, covers on and good to go…..!!!!!!!!

Back to the top
I had a similar rev counter problem once. What I did was to take the cluster apart again so the plastic housing was off, but then clip all the rev counter wiring back in again. Then do the MFA secret settings trick, I think it's turn on ignition, hold in MFS button and at the same time turn off ingnition, the. Turn back on. Or something like that, do a search and you'll find it. Actually I bet you know it off by heart any way! One of the settings on MFA in this mode is digital rev reading. Now you can glue the needle back on in the right place.

Hope it helps, Bob

Back to the top
If the rev counter is knackered, you can swap it with another one. I did this eventually when my rev counter packed in completely. Isn't it only a couple of small nuts or bolts?

Back to the top
Not sure fella, need more info on the reset thing your on about me thinks..Please.

Do I need to wind the needle spindle in like a clock spring then hold in place while I drop the needle back on?

Need to experiment really..

Back to the top
Here you go for the MFA settings:

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=103287&highlight=mfa+secret

I pulled my rev counter needle off using a fork, just slid it under the needle and twang, off it came!

Back to the top
Yep I used a fork too.

loving that info….will have a play when the other stuff is sorted.

Just need some good weather ahead so I can get painting away, mop and polish the rest of the car, really want to get the roof done before winter I guess..

Back to the top
Has the needle just slipped past the stop?

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.