Skip navigation

Front bumper removed

Back to the top

Front bumper removed

I just removed my front bumper, but i dont know what to do about the indicators and the number plate. Is there anywhere i can put them back on without having to mess around the bodywork?
Heres a picture of what it looks like now :)

Back to the top
are you keeping it without a bumper? if yes then you could fasten the number plate near the splitter, as for indicators, you can get some round type that wound crew into the body with self tapping screws, i had a set on my beetle and they do look ok, still got em if you need a set

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
Im gunna keep it without. Well i was thinking of putting the standard indicators behind the grill and just trying to stick the number plate on :L

Back to the top
yopu can stick the plate on, get some 3m tape for car trim, its a couple quid off ebay, hold plates on well, just make sure all is clean first,  worth a try with the indicators and a tiewrap for trial runs

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
Ill have a look on ebay now :) Im guna have a bash with the indicators in a bit now :)

Back to the top
I used Rover 200 side repeaters and made a pair of small brackets which allow them to be bolted to the same holes which were used for the bumper. The number plate was screwed to the flat area of the front panel. I have a pic somewhere, if it helps.

If you use side repeaters, they will flash too fast, so you need to add a resistor circuit in parallel to slow them down. (Use Ohm's law to calculate the size of the resistor).

Back to the top
As this is a modification you should inform your insurance company. Also no sharp edges etc are to be left visible.

The other things is the damage caused should you have a frontal, with no bumper to absorb the hit.

Just a couple of points..

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Yeah, I hated running with no front bumper. I don't really like the looks and the tiny little indicators aren't that good for visibility, also the crash protection is messed up. Were it not for the weight saving, I'd not have done it though. Once the car's racing days were over, the bumper went back on.

Back to the top
Does make the car look different though..

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Oh cool, could you show me a pic of it?

Yeah im gunna tell the insurance company :)

Back to the top

Back to the top
Is that you PaulC in the drivers seat? So close to putting a face to the name! But not quite! Like batman, only minus the bat

Back to the top
Ah that looks cool :) I think im guna see what the indicators would look like behind the grill first before getting other indicators.

Back to the top
I think bumper less for a road car just doesn't work. It looks unfinished. Have you considered getting metal bumpers to replace the plastic ones? Would look alot better especially considering you have chrome trims all round it will really complement the bumper if you were to get chrome. If chrome bumpers isn't an option money wise then I would leave the plastic ones alone.

Back to the top

Speeding is like masturbation, everyone does it ,but it's not something you should record and put on the internet!! 

Back to the top
Track cars look fine without bumpers but not road cars

Back to the top

scotthomer said

this,

Mk1's without bumpers are ugly.

Back to the top

JonP said

scotthomer said

this,

so wrong and without justification,Photo 5 on the first page of my build thread is ugly??

Speeding is like masturbation, everyone does it ,but it's not something you should record and put on the internet!! 

Back to the top

collo16v said

JonP said

scotthomer said

this,

so wrong and without justification,Photo 5 on the first page of my build thread is ugly??

I never liked the look of the Mk1 without bumpers but mine was a race car, as soon as its race/track days were over the bumper went back on. I never liked the look without the bumper.

Back to the top

collo16v said

JonP said

scotthomer said

this,

yep

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.