Skip navigation

Wipers playing up, now packed up completely!!

Back to the top

Wipers playing up, now packed up completely!!

Hello, Since owning my car (82 tintop) the wipers have never worked properly, no intermitant and very slow on the other two settings, sometimes only working when you push the stalk all the way up to fast speed then dropping it back down a click to medium speed. Anyway about a week ago they packed up completely for a day, worked the next day once, then packed up again and haven't worked ever since. I've now noticed their is a wire connected to one leg of the wiper fuse! Has anyone come across this before? Or have any idea if this could be connected to my problem? I also pushed the horn button through the steering wheel a few days previously, due to the weather being dry I'm thinking my wipers may have stopped working then without me knowing about it. Also since pushing the horn through I've had a constant drain on my battery. Any help much apreciated! Thanks, Tom.

Back to the top
Checked the relay mate?

If you can read this, thank a teacher,

If its in English, thank a soldier.

A soldier fights not because he hates whats in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him.

Back to the top
Sounds like a fuse box issue. Have you chased the wire to the fuse?

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
Funk star knows a 1000% more than me so do what he said

If you can read this, thank a teacher,

If its in English, thank a soldier.

A soldier fights not because he hates whats in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him.

Back to the top
I haven't checked either. Will try chasing the wire tomorrow. How do I check if the relay is faulty? Cheers

Back to the top
put another one in! get a mk3 golf 99 relay, that way even if it doesnt help you havent wasted any money as you'll have variable intermittent wipers once fixed ;)

sounds liek it may be the motor, mk2 and 3 golf ones fit just need to cut a length of wire off the donor, crimp spades on then pop into old plus with wire. again even if doesnt fix still a good upgrade anyway so no money wasted.

follow that bodged wire though! no matter what fault is that definitely isnt right

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thanks for the replys. I have ordered a new relay today. Will any of the other relays on my car work just to allow me to see if this is the cause of the problem. I also put a voltmeter on the wiper motor plug and do have a current there, I then tried removing the wiper relay tested again and still have a current, is this normal? Have followed the wire coming from the fuse and this goes to the back of the fan control switch, any ideas!?

Back to the top
no wiper relay is specific unfortunatly. you get ign live feed to the motor regardless of relay. this is so wipers park when wipersd off (and why they stick in middle of screen when ign off and park when ign on)

hmm, sounds liek fan ign live has burnt out or something so captain bodger has attempted a fix. either that or wiper ign live burnt out! remove the wire and see if the blower or wiper stops working

Back to the top
Just to add, I just read on another forum on here I should have two live feeds going to the wiper motor plug, I only found one which was the black and grey wire.

Back to the top
Will try removing the red wire now and see if the blowere stops working but unable to tell about the wipers as they are not working anyway.

Back to the top
Just removed red wire and still the blower works! grrr!!

Back to the top
only the 1 ign live feed, the other wires are live when you switch wipers on

Back to the top
I tried with the wiper stalk in all positions and still only a live to the black and grey wire?

Back to the top
ok, now if we get ign live to the wiper motor that means at least the fuse is ok, and in theory the wiper relay will be getting power. i take it the relay makes no clicky noises when you select intermittant? if not then look at the stalk and the wiring from it to the fusebox, plus the relay and the fusebox socket

Back to the top
Today my relay arrived from a 99 mk3 golf, although at first glance it looked the same their are actually two extra legs and so will not slot in place. Do I simply remove the extra two legs? Pleas

Back to the top
Please see pic. Original on left, mk3 one on the right.

Back to the top
which relay did you remove? was it #19? if not, wrong one ;)

Back to the top
I removed relay 11! Clearly the diagram I've been using is wrong. Where abouts on the fuse board is relay 19 situated? My diagram says its in the top left corner, does that sound about right?

Back to the top
The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

;)

does relay 11 have a VW part number on it?

Back to the top
I believe so but I am at work and have left the relay in the yard. Will have a look when I get back. The relay I took out was on the bottom row, third along from the left.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.