Skip navigation

I got me a Golf gx

Back to the top

I got me a Golf gx

Right so iv'e removed all the nasty seam sealer from everywhere under the bonnet I know its there for a good reason only If i can help it i dont want to put it back on.

Is there a way i can protect the seams without it?
I thought of running a fingers worth of filler or even fiberglass over all the seems and sand them down for a nice Finnish, Only I'm wondering if its likely to crack? Sounds stupid but Is there any movement even slightly  likely to happen under the bonnet that might crack the filler/fiberglass?

Cheers Gav.

Back to the top

MK1G4V said

Right so iv'e removed all the nasty seam sealer from everywhere under the bonnet I know its there for a good reason only If i can help it i dont want to put it back on.

Is there a way i can protect the seams without it?
I thought of running a fingers worth of filler or even fiberglass over all the seems and sand them down for a nice Finnish, Only I'm wondering if its likely to crack? Sounds stupid but Is there any movement even slightly  likely to happen under the bonnet that might crack the filler/fiberglass?

Cheers Gav.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Back to the top
I know that on a polo (I'm assuming it will be the same on a golf) that the sealant helps the bonnet skin to retain it's shape. A friend got a bonnet acid dipped and the sealant coming out deformed it.

The thing about the sealant is that it is waterproof and flexible. How come you don't want to put it back? I'm doing a full strip down resto on my VW Derby and whilst I admit seam sealant isn't the nicest looking of things, it serves a very valid purpose. Surely vibration and heat from the engine would mean that filler or fibreglass wouldn't last long?

What about masking either side of the join then painting a neat line between? Looks better than just slapping it on I find.

Back to the top

charlie-says said

I know that on a polo (I'm assuming it will be the same on a golf) that the sealant helps the bonnet skin to retain it's shape. A friend got a bonnet acid dipped and the sealant coming out deformed it.

The thing about the sealant is that it is waterproof and flexible. How come you don't want to put it back? I'm doing a full strip down resto on my VW Derby and whilst I admit seam sealant isn't the nicest looking of things, it serves a very valid purpose. Surely vibration and heat from the engine would mean that filler or fibreglass wouldn't last long?

What about masking either side of the join then painting a neat line between? Looks better than just slapping it on I find.

Right I see only when I mentioned under the bonnet I actually meant in the engine bay itself like all around the turrets and all the way down to where the drive shafts come through those holes (not sure what there called) Its where water would run after the drainage holes in the shuttle tray I think its called?  The only reason I don't want to put it back on is as you mentioned Its bloody ugly stuff :)  

I did think that there might be a chance of filler or fiberglass cracking Not so much from heat It shouldn't be near hot enough to do damage but vibration and slight flex might not help?
That said I see more and more smooth engine bays popping up presumably there a couple of tubs of filler involved In that process, I wonder how those folk get on?

Cheers GAV.

Back to the top
Ok so not much of an update money is too tight to mention. I have managed to get a few coats of etching primer in the engine bay……:)

So I have had a change of heart after my mate decided to brake his seat ibiza cupra :)

Updates asap!

Back to the top
Nice use of king size rizla with sections missing ;-)
Lol

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top

funk-star said

Nice use of king size rizla with sections missing ;-)
Lol

You Dont miss much mate :)  Yh there for erm for………………….LONG cigarettes! :)

Back to the top
Jamacan style? Lol lol

Back to the top

funk-star said

Jamacan style? Lol lol

Lol   Ya mon! :)  Hey while your here mate I'm looking for a set of chrome waistline trims? 4 door and all :)

Back to the top
Can't help you on that mate.

Back to the top
Ahhh no worries mate just a thought.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.