Explanation to my fire, 16v issue resolved now please read

Back to the top

Explanation to my fire, 16v issue resolved now please read

I'm glad ur getting over your ordeal me old

You made me go out a buy a fire extinguisher

You always think it'll never happen to you

Back to the top

CabbyBrad said

Just effed the boot off alltogether? What harm would this do the knuckle?

Nothing, altho it is illegal.

Imagine if your taking a corner and a stone flicks up and gets lodged in the UJ mechanism preventing you steering and locking it up? Not good

Back to the top

Lee_dub said

CabbyBrad said

Just effed the boot off alltogether? What harm would this do the knuckle?

Nothing, altho it is illegal.

Imagine if your taking a corner and a stone flicks up and gets lodged in the UJ mechanism preventing you steering and locking it up? Not good

Lee dub is right its an straight mot failure!!!

Back to the top
Got my engine in with some fire proofing now hopefully come in handy for some others. Used 28m heat wrap, 10"x10" stainless plate, 2x exhaust clamps to clamp Mani to plate (2 1/2") and a plumbers mat (soldering mat) wedged between mani and plate. Also put aluminium tape around the boot which itself is flame proof.

Plate on mani literally hammered into place/shape

How it looks in

After engine ran 1/2 hour I felt the plate which was warm but touchable by hand very easily so is diverting/absorbing heat! Hopefully stop some 16v's burning now if people go through some similar steps in preventing.

MK1 Cabby '90 R.I.P

'83 tin top gti

Back to the top
Wow now that's a plate can't see you having any repeats buddy looks sort of space age lol.

Top work fella

It dunt fit

Back to the top
Yeah hopefully lol, amazing what a hammer does. Also cut those bolts off flush before it went on. Just gotta get it running right now.

MK1 Cabby '90 R.I.P

'83 tin top gti

Back to the top
Nice work, might do something like that for mine!

Mars red 1982 16v KR Conversion!

View topic: My 1982 16v - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
Bump, any chance this could be a sticky as it comes up ALOT?? I'm looking as my bays pty to replicate a shielding plate for the boot that bolts to the rack mounting point (hopefully) 

Back to the top
That's a great post topic and glad you had a lucky escape,  think I had a close call with mine, bought the car already converted to 16v with ashley manifold and when I ripped the engine out I found the same issue, the manifold wasn't wrapped at all and bloody close to the boot, so much so it had melted most of it, see the pics enclosed
I made a shield for the boot and a small plate for the bottom of the chassis leg where the downpipes meet as it's close, had some mirror finish stainless sheet kicking around so fab'd one up and it bolts on the steering rack mount, got more clearence now too though after cutting and shutting the ashley manifold about four times to get it right :ocf_emoticons__BangHead:         Nice post cheers

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.