Skip navigation

2e2 carb help please

Back to the top

2e2 carb help please

it could just be old oil thats been baked hard by the heat, the manifold will get very toasty :)

mk1/2 dont tend to suffer from valve problems as they have hardened seats, anything is possible though. but yeah i wouldnt worry about it for now, get it back together and see how it is.

you could get a compression test done to put your mind at rest regarding the valves!

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
P.S.

I should buy some new manifold bolts as putting them back in is asking for trouble when tightening that screwed up one back up!

Where's the best place? I bought the gasket and o-ring from vw heritage but am doubting they sell the bolts (no, haven't checked yet!). Might try a local German and Swedish but expecting them to be over priced.

Hopefully I could get the inlet heater o-ring and gasket from the same place.

umm, while I think of it, is there anything special I need or need to do when installing a new gasket? Never done it before.. Use a solvent to clean the area, any gasket sealant stuff needed?

Back to the top

rubjonny said

it could just be old oil thats been baked hard by the heat, the manifold will get very toasty :)

mk1/2 dont tend to suffer from valve problems as they have hardened seats, anything is possible though. but yeah i wouldnt worry about it for now, get it back together and see how it is.

you could get a compression test done to put your mind at rest regarding the valves!

Could well be. Gald to hear they have hardened seats as I've never paid any attention to that! Doesn't do that many miles anyway..

I am very good putting my mind at rest regarding cars - I have to to drive my old Mk2 Astra. So easy to talk yourself into striping the whole car down through knock-on unanswered questions.

Back to the top
yeah i would look at new bolts to replace any with chewed heads,. its worth giving vw a try as they arnt so bad usually on bolts.

as for gaskets nothing special to worry about just clean off any gasket residue and then give it a wipe over with some ind of solvent to ensure its clean and dry. then refit it the same way it all came off :)

looking at etka:
N  044 714 1 - socket head bolt, m8x80 - 1.68+VAT x2
N  014 751 3 - socket head bolt, m8x50 - 1.31+VAT x4

if you take your bolts to a local fastener place they should be able to match em up

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
I got the gasket and rubber o ring from vw dealership.  Didn't cost a lot.  They even had a new heater but that was over a hundred quid!

Back to the top

rubjonny said

yeah i would look at new bolts to replace any with chewed heads,. its worth giving vw a try as they arnt so bad usually on bolts.

as for gaskets nothing special to worry about just clean off any gasket residue and then give it a wipe over with some ind of solvent to ensure its clean and dry. then refit it the same way it all came off :)

looking at etka:
N  044 714 1 - socket head bolt, m8x80 - 1.68+VAT x2
N  014 751 3 - socket head bolt, m8x50 - 1.31+VAT x4

if you take your bolts to a local fastener place they should be able to match em up

I went to a nearish fastener place in the end who are well known for having everything, Clarkenwell Screws. was £4 for a set with the thread starting halfway down the shank and the hardened black ones too which should help prevent future chewed heads.

Back to the top

shandyandy77 said

I got the gasket and rubber o ring from vw dealership.  Didn't cost a lot.  They even had a new heater but that was over a hundred quid!

I decided to leave it as is for the time being - measures 0.9 ohms which is a bit higher than the stated 0.25 - 0.5 but at least has some resistance in the right ballpark and is not open circuit.
There are too many online users to list.