Skip navigation

Intermittent Fueling Issue (Mk1 Caddy)

Back to the top

Intermittent Fueling Issue (Mk1 Caddy)

Hi There,

My poor Mk1 Caddy has been off the road for the last few days due to an intermittent fueling issue.

The car starts fine and I can drive away as normal with no problems but for only a certain amount of time, sometimes its 10 meters or sometimes its 30 miles.

The Issue:

The car will be fueling as per normal and then suddenly the fuel is restricted and will start spitting, this causes the car to jump or ''kangaroo'' until it eventually stalls… When this has happened I found it impossible to drive unless i have the choke all the way out.

Like I said the issue is intermittent, I have driven 10 meters and it occurs or 30 miles and it occurs so it can't be affected by heat.

Rectifications:

I have stripped and rebuilt the carb, and also had a friend of mine adjust the fuel ratio and ignition timing on a rolling road.

I then removed and tested the lift pump to see if it holds a vacuum which it does, the arm also doesn't show signs of wear.

I have dropped the fuel tank and removed the 'what i thought was a sender pump' which turned out to be the fuel gauge.

I am a bit stumped at this point, I was thinking it may be a blockage or kink in the fuel line, but then that wouldn't be intermittent surely?  :dontknow:

I'm 18 and its the first water cooled VW I have owned so any advice or other possible causes would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Many Thanks

Dan

Back to the top

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
What reg is it?

I had an F reg caddy and did the following.
dead points and condensor. cheap and chips and well worth looking at. probably look at the dizzy and rotor to. make sure you have the right coil fitted. caused no end of troubles with mine, i had a later electric ignition fitted rather than one for points ignition.

my last caddy had similar issues,

Back to the top
Thanks For Responding!

UPDATE:

The caddy was in absolute bits, the tank was out, carb removed etc…

I ended up just replacing parts just to rule them out, I replaced:

Condenser,
Dizzy Cap & Arm,
Vac Pipes,
Carb Flange,
Lift Pump.

All for the grand total of £42.40 :)

But still no joy, I drove two minutes down the road and the same thing happened!

I really have no idea… :(

Back to the top
hi mate i had same problem on a mk 1 golf and my caddy, one had rust in the tank the other had water and the remains of a bumblebee in the fuel tank.i cleaned my tank out but i think im going to just buy a new one from gsf for 88 quid and i will also buy a new fuel vapour seperator just to make sure.
do tou have a clear fuel filter under the bonnet on the left?is it dirty?

Back to the top
Yeah the filter is clear and does not look too bad, but it is quite new.

I had the tank out today to fix the fuel gauge (as i must have put it in wrong last time :/) the tank looks quite nice and clean with minimal rust…

Back to the top
Hi again

Does anyone have any further ideas? the fault seems to be much more regular now and is now pretty much undriveable.

Thinking fuel tank will be coming down tomorrow, even though it looks fine just to make sure I am not missing something…

Please help this is driving me and my friends nuts!! there cant be much left!  :banghead:

Back to the top
I've just had the same issue, bloody annoying mine was water in tank, carb, filter, pipe pretty much everywhere! Culprit was the tank filler! Letting water in! I have drained system, fitted a mew fuels filler cleaned everything as best I can. Just awaiting a new fuel pump then I'll try again! Fingers crossed!

Back to the top

A kink in the fuel hose will give these symptons...i know the hard way through experience..but if you havent done anything to them previous to the problem starting then it can be ruled out...they dont twist on their own lol

85 Karmann GTI Cabby Black Edition

81 GTI Tin Top (1.8t "The Tarmac Muncher" )

Back to the top
hi
this is the thread i posted in mk1 chat, but must add it is intermittant
i have reported this problem before
the car is a clipper 1.8 with weber carb
the problem is that when going up hill and or putting your foot down to overtake the car seems to splutter and loose power but dipping the clutch and reving it seems ok, this happens when at 2500 revs and when going up hill putting your foot down or when cruising at around 50/55mph and wanting to overtake, each time the revs go up to around 3500 and then it splutters

so far from other thread i have put new
1 petrol pump
2 inline filter
3 fuel reservoir
4 service kit for weber carb, including filter
5 checked timing mechanically and electrically
6 new plugs
7 about 2000miles ago new dizzy and rotor arm
8 new plug leads
9  new rubber mount for weber carb to manifold
when i bought the car three years ago put new petrol tank and checked out the swan neck

about 500 miles ago new clutch

what can it be???????????????????? any ideas appreciated

could it be that when wanting more torque the clutch is slipping, i am ruling this out as i have been on a drive of some 100miles and no problem

Haydn

Regional Host South Wales

Back to the top
if the clutch was slipping it would rev high but not go faster.

spitting high in the revs might be timing advance?

check the hoses going from the carb to the distributor and replace them if you can, they will be pence :)

failing that, maybe carb mount not sealing right? i went through 3 of these before i got one that was good enough in my 1.1…

booze and boredom, the greatest mix :)

Back to the top
put new 3mm vacuum silicon tube, also used gasket seal on rubber mount to make sure it was sealed at joints rather than relying on o rings
with timing gun checked advance up to 2500/3000 revs

Haydn

Regional Host South Wales

Back to the top
I've just bought a 1.5 auto with very similar problems! So far I've changed fuel pump and inline filter, air filter, dizzy cap and rotor arm, plugs and leads and the seal between the carb and the inlet manifold! Still not running I'm thinking now it's a block jet or a sticking float as the fuel seems to be getting to the carb ok

Steve

Back to the top

hi

could a blocked oil system cause similar symptoms as mine cut out yesterday like it was fuel related then today i had oil buzzer warning?(fresh oil change and smack on the max level.

but on my old 1.5 it was the fuel tank for sure as i fitted a plastic filter and it never happened again until the filter was blocked with sand and rust i cleaned the tank out fitted new plastic disposable filter and she never did it again.

Back to the top
could a blocked oil system cause similar symptoms as mine cut out yesterday like it was fuel related then today i had oil buzzer warning?(fresh oil change and smack on the max level.

but on my old 1.5 it was the fuel tank for sure as i fitted a plastic filter and it never happened again until the filter was blocked with sand and rust i cleaned the tank out fitted new plastic disposable filter and she never did it again.

Back to the top
i had similar problem in a mk2 n blamed fuelling , even bought a new weber , turned out to be the insides of the dizzy

Back to the top
i have heard that before i just fitted a power spark electroic unit on mine but still the same.
i wonder how much a new dizzy costs.

Back to the top
there was clearance ones from gsf on ebay just now, its fairly unusual for vw and weber to have intermittant problems , is more like the gremlins associated with french cars . clean tank lines n filter , good pump n set carb - time to look at swapping other bits known to be good n working perhaps ?

Back to the top
any joy with this after? mine is not fuel related after listening to a mechanic saying fuel starvation or vacum leak or even carb iceing, i took the lead off from the coil after it cut out and was not sparking.
mine sparks one min then dont the next so mine isnt fuel related.

Back to the top

blackcherry said

any joy with this after? mine is not fuel related after listening to a mechanic saying fuel starvation or vacum leak or even carb iceing, i took the lead off from the coil after it cut out and was not sparking.
mine sparks one min then dont the next so mine isnt fuel related.

I just found this thread, I have posted a similar help thread, mechanic and I were working with it last night and it seemed to be intermitently sparking - any further clues?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.