Skip navigation

Cabby without bumpers?

Back to the top

Cabby without bumpers?

The point of insurance is a good one.
Would this classify as a modification and as such must be declared to the insurance company?

Would they then insure you?

What would happen if you were involved in a crash.
The insurance company may decline and state the insure invalid, plus if you don't declare and then insure they would still not cover you.

So any other 3rd party would sue you for the costs of the damage and any personal injury.

What is the legal position and implications of running with no bumpers?

Someone must know as there are cars out there without bumpers?

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
I would say its legal so long as there are no sharp bits on the car when removed, you would need to tell the insurance company as the bumpers ar standard fitment to th car and so this would be a modification. I wouldn't think many would be happy to insure you as the mess it would make to the car in even a low speed crash would be expensive to fix.

Back to the top

chortle said

The point of insurance is a good one.
Would this classify as a modification and as such must be declared to the insurance company?

Would they then insure you?

What would happen if you were involved in a crash.
The insurance company may decline and state the insure invalid, plus if you don't declare and then insure they would still not cover you.

So any other 3rd party would sue you for the costs of the damage and any personal injury.

What is the legal position and implications of running with no bumpers?

Someone must know as there are cars out there without bumpers?

These are actually really good questions :P I haven't thought THIS far yet. I only thought about fender benders etc.
But insurance companies can't possibly refuse to cover the damage to OTHER cars and/or people because I'm missing bumpers? I live in Norway, and on my previous cars I've only insured my car so that it covers any damage to the other car and/or person. So i figured it wouldn't matter. The other car would get just as damaged no matter what, right? bumper or no bumper.

I'm Norwegian, so my English isn't the best!

Back to the top
Those 2 inari silver ones above are lovely!!!

Would look better with a rear bumper tho lol

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
I found one, and I'm sure now. Bumpers are going OFF!

Back to the top
I've always really liked to bumperless look, and have been internally fighting weather or not to do it.
The insurance question is an interesting one, and I will have to look into it when I get my quote; one can only imagine that the quote would be higher than a car with bumpers because more damage will be done without them!
No one plans on crashing, but it happens, I think I might find some bumpers I like….
The chrome small bumpers seem a good compromise; keep the 'boxiness' look like the no bumpers but just break it up a litttle

Back to the top

Downster32 said

I've always really liked to bumperless look, and have been internally fighting weather or not to do it.
The insurance question is an interesting one, and I will have to look into it when I get my quote; one can only imagine that the quote would be higher than a car with bumpers because more damage will be done without them!
No one plans on crashing, but it happens, I think I might find some bumpers I like….
The chrome small bumpers seem a good compromise; keep the 'boxiness' look like the no bumpers but just break it up a litttle

I'm quite sure I'm going to do it to mine when I get it. But not before checking with the insurance company, hehe. If I have to pay a little extra to be happy with my cabby, I'll do it!

Back to the top
this is what my cabrio looked like without bumper

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top

arf333 said

this is what my cabrio looked like without bumper

That's cool! You don't happen to have a pic from behind as well?

Back to the top
these are the only 2 i have, ill take some decent ones when car is sent off to body shop

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top

arf333 said

these are the only 2 i have, ill take some decent ones when car is sent off to body shop

Thanks! I really appreciate it :)

Back to the top

Here's mine at the mo…

Back to the top

Downster32 said

Here's mine at the mo…

Thanks! That looks sweet :)

Back to the top
The top one is nothing to do with me, just a picture I liked.

Mine is the brown/gold one, looking pretty sorry for herself at the moment. And the stance is a bit high.

I think if you do run no bumbers it's got to be lowered at least a bit

Back to the top

Downster32 said

The top one is nothing to do with me, just a picture I liked.

Mine is the brown/gold one, looking pretty sorry for herself at the moment. And the stance is a bit high.

I think if you do run no bumbers it's got to be lowered at least a bit

Ye I agree, that is a bit high for that look, IMO :) Thought of mentioning it, but didn't want to offend your car :P But I would lower it if i would go for the bumperless look. Your car still look awesome though!

Back to the top
Looked through a couple of topics in the meet/show section of this forum, and found a cabby without bumpers. There were several pics, and I hope no one minds that i took the pics from there and post here!
I found them on this forum: http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=113572

This car looks AMAZING! THIS car is close to perfection in my eyes. I can not understand why people don't think this looks cool

Back to the top
Looks great, but just looks like he's halfway through finishing the rebuild..?

Back to the top

Dom123 said

Looks great, but just looks like he's halfway through finishing the rebuild..?

I don't agree : P

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.