Skip navigation

South African mk1 citi

Back to the top

South African mk1 citi

Yeah cool thanks taken the centre console out with all the rusted screws, all the insulation was soaking, stained in rust, seats came out, carpets come out to show the bad welding that has been done, gonna start welding soon the. Gonna treat the floor, clean the carpet before it all goes back in, here are the pictures

Rust coming through from the arch and sill on drivers side

The welding was obviously just a patchwork for the mot, gonna do it properly this time and cut out all the old welding

Needs the sills done on both sides, gonna treats and colour the floor myself as it won't be seen and doesn't have to have a perfect Finnish but won't let the floor pan rust again so think the back carpets will be coming up aswell £150 for new carpets so gonna see how well these clean up, oh yeah and on one side the carpet was held down by a nail haha hope that wasn't you Jon haha finding lots of south African money all of the car

Mk1 Golf TinTop 5 door 2.0Litre Abf bottom end/Kr head Twin 40 webbers

Back to the top
Not guilty of the nail lol. Welding was to MOT standard only - cost a flippin fortune that year (thanks to the vendor with the dodgy MOT and no mention of any advisories as I mentioned in the PM ;-) )

Back to the top
Wow -  A lot of work ahead with all that rust, good luck  :wink:

Current Garage:

Daily Drive: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant

Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline

Project Fes: 1982 Golf GLS 1.5

Project FeO: 1966 Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Back to the top
Not too bad though, wing mount panels should be here today so can get on with it :) I'm happy with it, dunno about when it comes to the rear end, what's it like Jon???

Back to the top
It's a few years ago now, but jacking points were main concern. Spare wheel well was just starting to go and rear arches beginning to rust but not too bad then

Back to the top
Yeah spare wheel is proba about the same, solid but surface rust gonna clean that up and gonna check the rear arches aswell but got the front first lol cheers

Back to the top
Took the rear carpet out tonight bit of more rust haha knew it

New wing mount panels came so should start cutting tomorrow

Back to the top
Cut the drivers side mount out, need to do abit more cutting and grinding before welding here are some pictures

Back to the top
Scraped all the sound proofing off the floor pan to have a better look at the floor, few tiny rust holes, anyway here it is…

Back to the top
Today I went out and firstly took out the back floor pan sound proofing which was challenging,

Here is the rust on the rear footwells

After that I cut the off side wing mounts

Then as I was just about to leave wind up the window and no glass, so had to take the door card off to find more rust haha

Back to the top
Today, lovely whether so scrubbed the carpets and hung them out to dry, not paying £150 for new carpets for a daily driver, anyone got a grey boot carpet???

Back to the top
Haven't been updating much as had a lot of work on and my girlfriend hasn't been going gym as much haha
Been working on these over the past 2 weeks though,

Bit of welding on some thin stainless sheets

Gonna crack on after easter, need to get the wings lined up and the mounts on before i go on holiday 2nd of may :)

Back to the top
bolted on the wing mounts to hold for welding over today and yesterday, managed to get both sides bolted on so get it welded next and then can check the wings and send them to my brothers workshop to spray them... or should i wait untill new scuttle panel and slam panel are welded on... what you think?????

Back to the top

Back to the top
allis ready to weld now just waiting for some time a decent whether, took the drivers seat out as had a rip in it, my mum is gonna try and fix it or i might get some leather or green stripe material and see if she could use the pattern and make some new, not sure yet

Back to the top
Haven't updated in a while been to turkey for 2 weeks, come back to abit of welding done on the drivers side wings and wings have been sprayed by my brother. Took the rusted slam panel off today,

Decided that once th welding is done I am gonna put the wings back on and interior in and use it for abit before the full respray.

Back to the top
So… haven't updated in a while but i got the the drivers wing side welded up, looks a treat considering it was all gone with rust, been cleaning up behind where the slam panel is going to be to paint with rust beater before we put the new slam panel back on,

Was starting to loose interest but i have it again as went down to run to the sun on sunday. lots of inspiration!!!

Back to the top

Back to the top
Not very good pictures but painted behind where the slam panel is going to be so can weld the slam panel on soon. not bothered about engine bay at the moment so just painted it with the rust beater at the moment to keep it from rusting.  Started repairing a rip that i had in my seat, been looking for some seats but because of the budget i can't really afford £500 on some mint seats.

Back to the top
nice project

was it a bargain then

:wink:  :wink:

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.