Skip navigation

South African mk1 citi

Back to the top

South African mk1 citi

Just bought a south African import mk1 citi 1994 in green planning to fix it up with a respray I  will put up some pictures tonIght :))

Mk1 Golf TinTop 5 door 2.0Litre Abf bottom end/Kr head Twin 40 webbers

Back to the top
Hi welcome. Nice to see another Citi Golf. There is a dedicated thread here: http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=41702&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 should you want any more inspiration.

Current MK1 rebuild elapsed time - 15 years and counting…
Is it normal to clean and paint bits of your car that will never be seen?
Not-so-new addition - 1996 MK1 Citi Golf (off the road for 4 years… and counting)

Back to the top
Thank you :)
My dad has a mk1 caddy (one with the chrome engine) normally seen at malvern with him, Have loads of parts from his to go onto mine such as set of mk1 wings, grill bumper ect but here is the picture of the golf

I have started by taking the grill, bumper, and wings off to show the rust on it, all the rust is practically on the front end

i am going to weld up the inner arches

going to get repair plates for the wing runners ( tips on where to get these???)

Tell me your thoughts
Very interested to hear them

Back to the top
Good to see my old Citi still going  8) looks like the front end has suffered from UK winters though - well worth fixing and keeping on the road, they're pretty rare in that colour. Those alloys were an ebay bargain £24 for the set with nearly new tyres! I shall be following this thread with interest!  :D

Back to the top
were there no arch liners fitted on the citi models then?

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
Nice to see some home grown cars making their rounds in the UK  :D   I owned a red CitiGolf Sport when I was in my late teens and loved the car…

Current Garage:

Daily Drive: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant

Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline

Project Fes: 1982 Golf GLS 1.5

Project FeO: 1966 Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Back to the top
Nice one, saw this one was on gumtree & if it was closer I would have been tempted to get it :)

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top
Oh i never seen it on gumtree, i bought it off a guy called andreas who is a mate of a guy called rob who is helping me with this rebuild, he is a cracking car welder and mechanic but we have agreed that i am to do most of the work giving me the knowledge, anyway, today i spent an hour grinding off the sealant

Then i red oxided it to stop it from rusting

Got a day off work tomorrow so will be doing the same on the other side and ordering the wing mounts tonight, anyone know if i need to order a new front slam panel with light holders and stuff for the mk1 wings i have to fit right? because if not i will just order the apron for the bottom panel gonna line the wings up tomorrow hopefully and start welding, there is a hole around the windscreen so that is gonna have to come out which sucks but oh well. gonna keep the green because with a respray i think will look awesome.

Will update tomorrow :P

Back to the top
Wow - That is quite a bit of rust for not such an old car  8O

Current Garage:

Back to the top
yeah south african mk1's aren't built for uk weather i suppose but not a problem because i plan to re-seal most of it to stop it from happening

Back to the top

Bmartin92 said

yeah south african mk1's aren't built for uk weather i suppose but not a problem because i plan to re-seal most of it to stop it from happening

True and despite being made on the same line in Uitenhage in the Eastern Cape, South Africa there is a lot of difference between an original MkI Golf and a CitiGolf…

Current Garage:

Back to the top
like?? i am replacing the front end with mk1 wings, grill , bumper and apron which will spray with red oxide and stone chip in green, jonC who owned it before let me know that welding was done on the back half so gonna look into that and see what it is like

Back to the top

Bmartin92 said

like?? i am replacing the front end with mk1 wings, grill , bumper and apron which will spray with red oxide and stone chip in green, jonC who owned it before let me know that welding was done on the back half so gonna look into that and see what it is like

Early CitiGolf's were very similar to original MkI Golf's, mostly with different paint scheme's, wheels, options, etc. but later ones the differences get more and more, with the last having a completely different front end, rear end, doors, bumpers, mirrors, windows, dashboard, seats, engine, etc, etc.

If you look at yours you will notice the front wings 'slant forward' whereas a MkI Golf 'slant backwards', the bumper is different, the grill is different, although they are somewhat similar to later MkI Golf Cabriolet's…

Current Garage:

Back to the top
I just found the SA spec air box scoop for it last night in the garage - you're welcome to it if you want it :). Also found 3 of the wheel trims lol. The previous owner replaced the wings around 2005/6 so I suspect it had already begun to rust at the front end by then :(

Back to the top
Oh sweet yes please, I will pay postage or tell me what shows your going to and I will meet ya, any bits you find for it I'll have haha, been working on it today, grinded the other side, red oxide and pulled out the wiring loom from front end so I can weld and paint, will update photos tonight :)

Back to the top

That is the rubbing down of the off side inner arch

Then I red oxides it :))

These are not on normal mk1s I don't think but they go through the inner arch onto the car frame so I cleaned them up and red oxide them

Then I removed the wah bottle wiring loom and other things so welding won't melt anything :))

Will be working on it on saturday afternoon for abit and the wing mounts come on Monday :) can't wait

Back to the top
Pm me your address and I'll send the scoop down once postage price is confirmed .:) I'm guessing you're not too fussed over the wheel trims? Lol

Back to the top
Anyone know about buying an induction kit for one of these? the airbox screws onto the carb and then goes to a box, would need the screw so it seals on the carb properly, any ideas give me a bell, might chop up the box i already have though for the fitting onto the carb but thats later, gonna get it sprayed first

Back to the top
Got the patern wings that were on th caddy and tried them on and they fit pretty well :) now they in the back of the golf, gonna clean and stonechip the inside so it doesn't rust again :) can't wait to crack on welding next week, anyone know the paint code for the green

Back to the top
Not sure of paint code. It's very similar to dragon green.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.