Skip navigation

DX to ABF engine wiring loom conversion

Back to the top

DX to ABF engine wiring loom conversion

Hi mate. Just having a go at the golf today.

Just wondering what fuses I can lose?

I tried a relay in slot 3 but the ignition stays live with no key with a 4 pin relay but when removed it works as it should. I'm guessing this is obviously as it is the wrong relay and can't shut itself off. Just wish I'd had had time to order the correct relay earlier in the week :-(

Back to the top

DX to ABF

Do I lose the the yellow wire on the OBD socket?
Thanks again.

Back to the top
you can cut it out if you like, i just leave it in.  with the relay its a 30 you need for an abf, no other one will do unfortunately!

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

dx to abf

Hi mate, cheers for that.

i've got the loom rooted where i need it now. it doesnt look too bad. a bit messy around the round plug but were getting there.

i had a look at he ignition system and got a bit bamboozled. ive since been searching for all of your info but cani find it.:(

i've wired up the vag com port now, it was easy as the ciggy lighter already had some connectors which helped. i've also earthed the impb box to the steering rack.

Back to the top

Ignition wiring

Ive read through some info and I'm a bit confused as mine is a KR loom not DX so what do I cut?
TCI and ECU loom kR
1. ECU plug
2. Plug at side of KR ecu (red/yellow and black/yellow wires)

3.TCI plug

4. Battery earth
5.single connector to coil (black/white and a black wire spliced)

6. Would have gone to double plug for coil (green/white)
8 earth to rocker cover
9. Dizzy

Kr Engine loom

10. Red/black wire to the twin coil plug seen in this pic
11. Thick black (would have gone to the coil)
12.twin coil plug, x2 red/black wires (10 and another going into the loom, green white #6 of these pics)

Back to the top
if it was me id get another tci loom, then you can sell on the kr loom. but its up to you! did the dx loom your bought have the tci part on it? this bit is same on all carb/k-jet 8v with electronic ign so it wont reduce the value of your dx loom.

but either way, its dead simple. cut the abf coil plug off, bin the brown wire. put the black wire to your coil + (or bin this and leave whatever is powering the mk1 coil now)

take the tci plug and follow the wires from it. you want the black wire to the coil, and the green or red/black. on the kr loom the black wire will also be joined to a white/black, so you'll have to cut the spade off or the black/white to split off just the black wire you need. trace the brown wire from the tci this runs back to the coil -ve. then you need to tci pin 7 with a good length of wire. on the kr this runs to the ecu, on the dx this runs to the hall sender.

after all this you should have a tci plug with 4 wires. if its a carb/k-jet one you'll also have 2 more wires to the hall sender, these can both be cut off and binned. last step is to join the abf green/red to the tci pin 6, then plug in you coil black and red/black or green wires, and run the -ve to the battery. done!

Back to the top

dx to abf

Hi mate, the mk1 loom i have doesnt come with the ignition loom and dont really want to spend anymore $ ch-ching $ on the car yet, its had a fair few grand in no time at all already.

I'll have to use the loom i have i'm afraid. I'll go and have a crack at it now, i must say what you've said doesnt make too much sense to me yet, hopefully it will when i am looking at the two looms,

Back to the top
start at the tci plug and work back, you'll soon figure it out it only has 4 wires :)

Back to the top
Ok, so… I'm having a look at the ignition wiring and straight away I've run into trouble. The black wire from my mk3 coil is no more, I thought i had to chop this and just save the red/green. I have 2 wire from my mk1 loom which are spliced together. They are black and the other is yellow/brown (bit faded) they are in the position of the coil so a perfect fit and it is switched live too so will this be ok for the + coil.

My TCI plug has 4 wires 1. black (battery earth), 2. green/white (coil?), black (the one joined to the white/black which ive chopped off and a brown/blue (this went to the KR ECU plug, chopped!)

So do I put the mk1 switched live plug to the coil +, green/white spliced with my red/green mk3 wire and black to the - coil, other black to battery earth?

Back to the top

Back to the top
looks like the mk1 loom may have a resistor wire for the coil, if so this is no good. can you run a wire from G1/4 to the coil? you could cut the wire out of the old kr loom for this.

check the wires to the tci:
1 - green - coil -ve
2 - battery -ve
4 - black - coil +ve
6 - brown/blue - mk3 coil red/green wire

Back to the top
I've checked the wires to the TCI, sorry you was correct, theyre just really discoloured.

I'll have to have a look at the coil power wire again then.

Back to the top

Is this right?

Back to the top
" trace the brown wire from the tci this runs back to the coil -ve. then you need to tci pin 7 with a good length of wire"

What do you mean by this mate? I don't have any wire in pin 7 of the TCI plug so do I add one and route it to the - ve on the coil?

Back to the top
duh all wrong there sorry! the brown wire goes to battery negative, and the mk3 ecu trigger is to tci pin 6

Back to the top
Like my little wiring diagram drawing or is this wrong also?
Cheers bud

Back to the top
your diagram is spot on :)

Back to the top
I thought it was ok after I read what you'd said and had a look at the wiring it kinda made a little more sense. Yippee! ;-)

My relay turned up today but no idle air seal, that should be here tomorrow :-)

Back to the top

DX to abf

Hi again, just been thinking.. Could I not slice I wire into the black/white wire of pin 38 of the ECU plug and put that to the + ve side of the coil? Isn't that joined to G1/4?

Back to the top
ecu 38 is g2/4 but in theory it should be ok. the only thing id be worried about is if the coil might put too much drain on that wire but you could always give it a try to see how it is :)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.