Skip navigation

DX to ABF engine wiring loom conversion

Back to the top

DX to ABF engine wiring loom conversion

yep you got everything there so thats sorted. black wire to ign live, brown wire to earth, grey/white wire to ecu grey/white and grey to the vag-com jumper block. if the wires havent had the plugs chopped off they'll only fit where they need to go anyway though

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

DX to abf

Haha, you make me laugh mate. I bet your sat at your desk at work with no wiring diagrams in front of you just realign these off and ive never seen this before.I'm honestly impressed with what you know! :-) :-) :-)

Back to the top
almost, i had to double check which way round the grey and the grey/white were though on the immob box :lol:

Back to the top

DX to Abf

14. Red/yellow - grn/blk - brn/blu

15. Grn/red -blk - brn

Back to the top

DX to ABF

16. Purple/white - black/white - Grn/blk (Dash Switch ….. Bin?)

Back to the top
17. Single red wire with yellow connector.

Back to the top
would the light brown wire from the lambda probe connector go on a spade terminal and direct to a body earth or something as i cant trace a wire that it may have been on. i'm thinking it came off the load of earths that had been bonded together?
cheers

Back to the top
i've tried many times to access your wiring diagrams but i cant seem to get onto them :(

Back to the top

DX to ABF

Does this mk1 DX engine loom look ok and can you see anything that may be missing. I bought this from someone on here the other day. I'm ready to start cutting this loom up but I don't know what color wires/ connectors are for what as I have no diagrams :-(

Also, I stuck my head under my dash today to try and understand the other thread you posted up for me to read and for some reason I have two of the same fuse box's with the same wires etc.
One under the drivers side and the other in the usual place on the passenger side.??

Back to the top
14. coil -> see notes above on converting to mk1/2 coil
15. crank sensor -> keep

you got the pics for 14 and 15 mixed up ;)

16. yeah this is for the mk3 dash so bin, its left/right indicator on plus mpg signal

17. fuel injector power, put this wire and the white/red lambda heater feed into a spade connector. this then pops into a wire hanging off E/14 on the rear loom. look on your old engine loom and you'll see a coupel red/white wires running to a white spade behind the fusebox, copy this :)

lambda can earth anywhere really, on my looms i splice it to the chunky brown coming off the engine loom. the one which goes off to the wiper motor and has a chunky brown wire with a spade behind the fusebox. this brown spade connects to the main battery earth jumper on the lighting loom. you could just crimp sapdes on your earths and pop into the claw above the fusebox, just means you have more wires hanging about back there. on the abf loom this wire goes to F/8.

DX loom looks fine, you'll be using next to nothing from it anyway! you need the wiper motor, coil wires and starter motor thats it. keep that relay holder with the k-jet idle relay for your ecu relay (see the link i put up earlier) and keep the red/yel, blue/black and yellow wires for the oil/water sensors with a good length of wire as you'll be splicing to them later.

the green/black, red/black and brown/white wires with spades on leave in there for reference, as you'll be copying these later. green/black is the mfa oil temp wire, white/brown is the earth to the head for the dash and red/black is a starter live feed. abf wires for these are G2/1 for the oil temp, G1/5 for the head earth and F/5 for the starter feed. crimp spades on them same as the mk1 loom and copy the lengths so your old loom will plug in. same with the white/red wires spade i mentioned earlier, leave it in place till you have the abf loom taped in position then copy the length for your lambda & injector power wires. if you have proper non insulated spades you can nick the connector housings off the old wires for the full oem effect ;)
or you could splice to them same as the other sensor wires if you dont have the terminals or tools to crimp them

what are you using to access my documents? i hear apple devices dont work with the website

but the fact you have 2 fuseboxes has thrown a spanner in the works! can you see what the imposter fusebox has been wired to?

Back to the top

DX to ABF

Imposter fuse box! Haha. Mega!

Here are some images of the imposter fuse box all I'm the drivers foot well under the dash.

And the not so imposter fuse box in the usual place on the n/s

I will try and get them undone tomorrow so we can see what goes to what. But dark tonight ;-(

Back to the top

DX to ABF

How do,

I've stripped the DX loom of its protective cover now and taped it in places to keep the shape.

I have pictures of each connector with numbers at the side, I wondered if you could tell me which to keep and bin. I think I know after reading what you have put but just want to make sure I don't get it wrong.

Brake fluid?

Wiper motor and something else?

Ignition Coil, something and something.

Starter motor and something?

Water temp, oil temp?

What happens with this little pony then? Do I snip the plug off and then connect the white/red to the thick red (injector power lead?) with a spade like you said? Also, what happens with the green/white, black, yellow/blue wires etc.

How about this one? Where would these wires go?

Back to the top

DX to ABL

Managed to get onto you wiring diagrams just now. Yaaaaaay!

Must have been my iPhone (apple as you said)

I had a look at the spade terminals you said to keep aside. Take it these are them?
I trust I can bin number 19?

I've had a look in the engine bay and found the KR ECU, that looks easy to access.

Cheers for all you've done so far ;-)

Back to the top

Dx to ABF

Does the red wire and red/white lambda wire need to be in the same place as this one?

It would be handy to see a picture of a completed DX to ABF loom conversion.

Back to the top
ok! this might actuall be good news :lol:
the imposter fusebox is a 90spec mk2 golf one, so the abf loom will plug right into it. however, how is the engine loom routed thru the bulkhead?
if it was me i would remove the imposter fusebox and everythignthat goes to it, go back to the mk1 fusebox. at the very least have a damn good look at how they have made it work, as they could have done a right bodgeup of your car loom to get it running on 2 fuseboxes!

1. coolant level sender -> keep
2. cold throtle enrichment valve? -> bin
3. wiper motor -> keep
4. coil -ve -> keep
5. throttle switch? -> bin
6. coil +ve -> keep
7. starter trigger -> keep
8. 5th injector power -> bin
9/10/11 k-jet stuff -> bin
theres a yellow wire in there too, thats oil pressure so keep that

12. wur -> bin
13. coolant temp -> splice to abf loom at fusebox end
14. 5th inj thermoswitch -> bin
15. oil pressure -> splice to abf loom at fusebox end
16. mfa oil temp -> splice to abf loom at fusebox end

some o those wires above will be joined to a relay behind fusebox, cut that out as well. but keep the relay holder, you'll be using it for your ecu relay

yeah cut those 2 off and work out what all the wires do with my fusebox faq:
http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=219775

1st plug is engine feeds, 2nd is dash feeds (coolant/oil temp/pressure, mfa, plus an ign live for engine)

17. dash earth, either splice to abf loom or cut abf pin put spade on and nick the spade cover plug
18. starter feed as above
19. 5th inj feed -> bin
20. mfa oil temp as above

red/white for lambda and red for injectors need to be copied as per that last wire as above either splice that end to abf loom or cut abf wires and crimp into a single spade, then pop that plug onto it

Back to the top

DX to ABF

Well when I had a look around it all yesterday it seems they drilled through to the drivers side and connected the engine loom to the mk2 fuse box, the ECU is under the bulk head cover so it runs up through that also. Trouble is, I have cut most of the mk3 loom up now to re-use it.?

Back to the top
you will have needed to do this anyway, to get all the mk3 crap out of it. do what you are doing to the mk1 golf loom to the mk2 golf loom, then you should be sorted.

or continue what you are doing now and get rid of the mk2 stuff, your call!

no matter which way you go you could run into issues depending on what they did to make that 2nd fusebox work.

or, it might be incredibly easy, plug your mk3 loom in as is (with mk2 coil mod done) and thats it! as i say it depends what they did. for example, how are the mk1 wires and oil/temp sensors wired in right now? are they in with the mk2 loom then spliced to the mk1 dash, or left in the mk1 loom?

if everything is in the mk1 loom still except the engine management then in theory you could remove mk2 loom, fit mk3 loom and you'll be done. as i say you'll need to do the tci stuff as well. oh and you'll need a #30 mk3 golf gti ecu relay.

its hard to be exact without knowing exactly what is going on back there

Back to the top

DX to abf

It would probs be so much easier to get my mk2 KR loom out and start working on this one? Might save alot of head scratching in the future.

Shame I've just spent £35 on that mk1 loom :-(

I'll have to keep working on the mk3 ABF loom soldering and removing all the none needed wires and maybe labelling them all. I've already labeled the connectors.

Back to the top

DX to abf

When you say connect something to"G2/1, G1/5 and F/5" are all these reference places to the rear of the fusebox?

Back to the top
yeah fusebox pins, this should help:
http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219775

the mk1 loom you can just sell on again if you havent cut anything yet!

There are too many online users to list.