Skip navigation

1983 Mars Red 1.8 GTI - Change Of Shell

Back to the top

1983 Mars Red 1.8 GTI - Change Of Shell

JellyBelly/Yomp - If I am completely honest I wasn't aware of the make up of the roof, so had not given it a thought. The chap I bought the shell of (VWValver on here), was very particular, so i am sure this has been taken into consideration.

The car will not be a daily, and only used for shows when done as i have a VW Up! as a daily, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue, however when i see/speak to him i will ask as its quite interesting.

I will just have to hope my roof doesn't fly off in gale force winds down the motorway!

Smudger - Ha ha, I will try and refrain from pursuing a stunt career in it!!

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver
MK1 Golf - 1.8 GTI (Build Thread - Here)

Back to the top
I would try and get some photographic evidence of the work that should have been done that can't be seen.

If it's not available then I would seriously consider whether its worth spending any more time and money on it knowing not only the potential danger that it could be hiding but the fact it wouldn't handle like a MK1 should either.

Back to the top
Geez

He just said it will only be a show car,

If he was rallying in Finland then he should be worried about the roof. He isn't so crack on!

Keep at it may the engine looks spot on!

Cheers

Scott

Back to the top
The guy asked for opinions so he got mine.

He may only use it to take it to the odd show but the next owners might use it as a daily to take their kids to school.

Just my opinion……….

Back to the top

Yomp said

He may only use it to take it to the odd show but the next owners might use it as a daily to take their kids to school.

:thumbs:

:thumbs:

Back to the top
Eeek talk about a spanner in the works… I was a little worried about my roof as instead of re-skinning it, I got the sunroof welded and then skimmed.

It's quite possible that the welding was staggered so the inners were done then the outers a bit further up/done, however you would notice considerably more welds if that were the case.

Don't wan't to put a dampner on things but i'd definatelly ask the questions. Don't want the welds to split when giving it some right foot on a coutry lane.

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top
Wow, this thread has seen more attention and interest over the last week because of the roof then the whole build thread has over the last year!

Guys, i really appreciate everyones two pence worth, but i am confident it has been done to a standard i don't need to worry to much. I knew the chap, and know how particular he is. I would be a little more worried if i bought it off of a stranger, but thankfully i didn't.

I am going to carry on with the car, wrongly or rightly.

Again, i really appreciate the comments.

Thanks

D.

Last edit: by wannabemk1owner

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
So with the new garage in use it has meant i have been able to crack on a little, and with the warmer weather it has lent itself to a little bit of filling, mainly on the engine bay.

Bit of a pig to do, but up to the stage of primer stuff to look for imperfections. I will then get the filler back out, sort them and re-primer it.

First stages.

One of the turrets smoothed, filled and primed to look for the imperfections.

And the other…

And lastly the fire wall.

The plan at the moment is get the engine bay completely finished, including paid so i can get the engine back and out of my way. I'll then get on with the rest of the body work which is minimal.

Hope you like, regardless of the roof!

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
A lot of hard work so far mate👍engine and rear beem looking ace to! Keep up the good work😊

Back to the top
hello mate enjoying your thread, love the engine build up…….will also be doing the same starting in April….

just wanted to ask where you got the rear arch repair panels?

regards
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.