Skip navigation

My 1983 GTI - progress to be made.

Back to the top

MY Golf GTI Slower and Slower

Laughingboy said

Looks a great wee project, keep up the good work.

I started mucking about with cars when I was your age with an old 1200cc Vauxhall chevette, kept me out of trouble!

Yeah i think that is why me dad doesn't mind me spending my money on cars so that I don't get in trouble

Mk1 golf GTI 1.8 - bargain buy
Suzuki Samurai - 4WD 1.7 TD Conversion - Off roader

Back to the top
Hello Harry! Well I used to live in Bishop Auckland for 2 years up until 2011, you may of seen my cutting about in my old mk1…

Looks like a nice cheap project you got yourself there mate!

Back to the top
Today I finished painting where my grille sits so I don't damage my new one when I put it on. I also painted my front wipers till I buy some new ones and completely removed my rear one including the motor. I also tried some back to black on the arches but I will have to drill them off and paint them so that they match the bumpers. Also give my floor mats a clean to see what condition they were in.

Car as it looks now

Mats before

Mats after

New metering head

Back to the top

Lee_dub said

Hello Harry! Well I used to live in Bishop Auckland for 2 years up until 2011, you may of seen my cutting about in my old mk1…

Looks like a nice cheap project you got yourself there mate!

Yeah it was cheap but never seen the car before

Back to the top
A few weeks ago i eventually got the car running with a fuel pump and metering head, and then a turn of the fuel / air mixture screw to get it running properley.
inmy opinion the heart of any car is the engine amd engine bay so i stripped it down so that i can respray it.

Plans are;
  1. Finish off cleaning and sanding engine bay
  2. Repair and tidy the bay
  3. Spray it black again
  4. Strip and clean the engine
  5. Spray and rebuild the engine
  6. Refit the engine (quite fancy a wire tuck)

As i stripped the engine we noticed that when it was rebuilt it was done properley with new pistons, cam, oil pump etc.

I'll let the pics show what ive done sorry but i only have my phone for pics.

i just seemed to like this photo for some reason

hopingto have it back together and running by august.

Back to the top
Took the car out of the bay today so that i could tidy up and decided this is how i want the car to sit.

Back to the top
over the past few weeks i have got to this

after closer inspection we noticed that the front panel was a repro so instead of trying to repair it this arrived yesterday

this is how it stands at the moment

i hope to have it finished and running again by september for when i start college.

Back to the top
thought id put these on here hope no one minds
pair of recaro fishnet bucketseats might suit a mk1 golf. i just need the money.
Web Page Name

Back to the top
This is what the car looked like at 10 this morning

Then after a bit more prep and some primer it looked like this.

As im sure many people know black shows up avery little mark but in this case the engine bay still looked mint even parts that were no good the paint still didnnt show up the marks. so im dead happy with my dads painting skills and cant wait for it to be finished. but the tiringf prep work does show on the end no matter how bored or how sick you are of it.

This is what the car looked like when we finished and went home at 2 o clock

Nice and shiny.

Back to the top
I have been really lazy recently due to finishing exams and coursework but i finished school on thursday so decided i would do some work this weekend.
So i stripped the interior out ready for welding and to stop oversprsay from painting the engine bay
And i have eventually sanded down my new front panel ready to be welded on and the paint the engine bay again.

I have decided what i want do with my car now and that is keep it 90% original.
The only changes im doing is porsche tombstones and full retrim in leather / alacantra , coilovers and alloys.
Now ive got some saving to do.

Time for pics

interior out

front panel sanded down. (temporary workbench)

excuse the pics i dont have a camera only photos i can take is on my iphone .

Thanks for looking Hazza
comments welcome (:

Back to the top
work on this has been really slow recently but none the less im still working on it :banghead: . i have been working on my other toy which has slowed this project down but mainly i have been stripping and painting parts from the glf e.g. front ARB, brake bias bar, an dhave sanblasted the follwing ready for chroming cam cover, timing belt cover and some other little bits i have no photos but i hope to have finished pics of the paint done by end of august but well see. i hope no one minds but thought id put this up as this is what has slowed the golf downdue to y brother blowing the engine and being too lazy to help it was left to me so hee it is my 1.7TURBO DIESEL 4WD SUZUKI SJ410
its a bit rough but once its in the mud its ok as long as the intercooler pipe is fastened on when going through a puddle :banghead:

Back to the top
have finished sanding the engine bay down and have sandbalsted the battery tray so that it looks good aswell and will either be getting painted tomorrow or next weekend.
Thanks for looking comments welcome

Back to the top
i was going to post pictures but its not coming up as pics just the image codes i will try tomorrow

anyway yesdterday the car had been sanded down again as the first time round it wasnt prepped properley so a lot of rough point were left and needed to be sorted

but went up today to have a look and the shine is awesome the back of the front panel got a nice thick coat of paint while still accesible before i get it welded on.

really happy with the finish but will spend time on it next week checking for any marks and then will wetflat it all off so dont think im too far off.

i just cant wait for it to be a rolling shell as its in the way at the moment and me dad needs to be able push it in and out of the bay incase of a blocked ramp

will try pics tomorrow
Thanks for looking Harry

Back to the top
Again its been ages since i last updated but oh well made some real progress over the last couple of weeks. I have finished sanding and wet flatting off. My dad has welded one of the metal bracket clip thingy back on welded up the battery tray where it had gone a bit rotten and he has most importantly welded the front panel back on yey. :D
Also it has now had another coat of black, But thanks to some idiot AKA. me i missed a bit of water which has caused me a bit more work.
However it does shine like a s**t house door (never really understand that saying but its all i can think of),
i have tried posting the pics up but it wont work so Ginner is going to have a go for me so thanks for that again.
All comments welcome,    Harry

Back to the top
thanks to help from club members i am now able to upload photos

The engine bay flatted off and primer in places

The front panel all in primer

Engine bay no front panel all sprayed up

engine bay flatted down again

Front panel welded in

All painted up looks stunning.

what do you think??? Comments welcome thanks for looking,
Harry

Back to the top
Looks very nice! :D

I'm enjoying reading your build, your doing a spot on job, esp' for your age :wink:

Coilovers and wheels and thats it I reckon 8)

Back to the top
What did you paint the bay with mate looks too nice to be aerosol cans?

Back to the top

redpetemk1 said

Looks very nice! :D

I'm enjoying reading your build, your doing a spot on job, esp' for your age :wink:

Coilovers and wheels and thats it I reckon 8)

Thanks mate plans are, wheels, coilovers, and few engine mods.
Can't wait to be done

Back to the top

"utterly-dubberly" said

What did you paint the bay with mate looks too nice to be aerosol  :dontknow: cans?

Thanks mate It's supposed be the original paint and me dad sprays it for me. He's a bit of a paint perfectionist to be honest. :D

Back to the top
Great work so far m atey! I would have loved to have the opportunity to build a MK1 as my first car like you have!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.