Skip navigation

91 Clipper Cab ABF 16v-twin 45s

Back to the top

91 Clipper Cab ABF 16v-twin 45s

Just ht leads to sort as using saab 9000 dizzy cap, to achieve 90 degree exit, and abf leads have different ends. Not sure wether to make custom length leads using existing or use sierra cosworth ones and change coil? Ive ordered new ends so if here by tuesday ill get them on.

Ive refitted number plate in correct place as not a fan of low down ones.

Start and set up on wednesday.

Back to the top
New leads made up and fitted.  Attempted a start today but no spark so checked the ecu wiring and found id missed a wire to term 15 on coil from ecu.  Replaced but still no joy!!!  All other feeds seemed ok. Nothing at the coil so a shinny new bosch item fitted but still nothing!!! ECU seemed the only other culprit so one found locally at a breakers and ………..

Video of start up…..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKzHST7TeA8&feature=g-upl&context=G2420911AUAAAAAAAAAA

Set-up to carry out and then off for a custom stainless exhaust……..

Back to the top
now thats a quick turn around. love the work.

Back to the top
Thanks mate. Trying to get done for summer. But as im sure you're aware they are never finished!;)

Had an hour setting up. Now balanced and mixture seems ok at idle so hopefully be ok for exhaust fitting. Ended up having one of hubs off again as when i fitted new bearings, when tightened up jammed against circlip. The two bits that you grab with pliers were too deep when checked. So ground them down and now nice free spinning wheels.

Back to the top
that sounds fricking awesome, any chance you could put up a pik of how u mounted your fuel pump for us?

mk1 golf - resto
mk3 polo breadie - daily banger

Back to the top
Ill try and get a pic next time she goes on the jack. All that I did was to use a metal pre-bent metal plate that I had laying around. I measured the height to tank retaining bolt and made up to fit. The other mounting point is a factory fitted stud that is just infront of rear beam mount. This setup allows correction postion for pump and a filter but also is in recess so clear from any chance of damage.

Back to the top
Spent most of yesterday at ets tyres derby having stainless exhaust made and fitted. It looks great as they are a tight fit on low mk1s. Went for a slightly angled tailpipe to match original design which was the guys idea and was great to find someone happy to do a great job and be interested. Ill see how it is as i go.

Ill get a video and better pics of finished item when it stops raining.

Oh and as for the first drive with the abf……..it goes like hell!!!!!

Back to the top
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b0Gnfqe8n4

Above is link to a video with exhaust showing snorty carbs!!  Still a little setting up to do.  When the rain stops, ill get a better quality vid of exhaust and engine.

Back to the top
Just fitted a oil pressure gauge for peace of mind. Looks neat as well, I thinkk.

Also couldnt resist tag to remind me to start the fuel pump.

Ive also replaced air con water temp sensor for one that correctly operates dash gauge. New oil pressure switches fitted too.

I managed to find a bit of sun so gave her a leg stretch. Seems ok, but ill be rechecking timing and idle mixture now cars up and running.

Back to the top
Three piece split rims now fitted. Stainless lips and not bbs. Sock, horror.

Back to the top
Very nice and tastefully done.  8)  

How much did the exhaust set you back and did they fabricate the down pipe/manifold too? What profile tyres are on the splits?

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
Cheers mate. Just ordered a black mohair hood to go on.

Exhaust was £280, manifold was separate from dub power direct.

Tyres wise, i stuck with good old 195/50s. Looked at stretching 175 or 165s but i want to use it!

Back to the top
Bit of an update:  Pushing on to have her ready for AGM so booked in on the 8th June for a session on the rollers for set up and power run.  New mohair hood has turned up so just trying to get consumables together for swap.  

Also been in for tracking and in amongst Derby traffic seemed fine.

Back to the top
Morning all.  So the rolling road set up day has arrived and what fantastic weather for the trip there with a holed roof!!!!  Im looking forward to meeting up with top hood guru, chortle next week but kind off wish it was before now, looking at whats outside today.  Not to worry, so ive been out with the all weather tape and repaired for now.

Ill get a vid of the rolling road session and get it up later.

Wish me luck…………………………….. :D

Back to the top
Right, all ready for the off.

And arrived………….

A bit early as not open until 9, but seemed ok on the way over. Ill just see how she gets on……

Back to the top
Video of on the rollers…

http://youtu.be/umTxRnRqjt4

Back to the top
She made 188bhp…. :D . There was 207 at one point but the power curve was all over the place. Pulls like a train.

Following the horrible weather on rolling road day i thought it couldnt get any worse so made a trip out to see some friends out in their campervans. On this trip i only had to navigate a flooded road near uttoxeter! Engine wise its awesome, the induction noise does it for me everytime!!!! May change suspension next as a little firm for me.

Back to the top
Started a little job today.  I swapped from black plastic to chrome internal door pulls.

Oh…… and took the roof off!

Most have been original hood?

Can't wait to get mohair top on :D Gone for black but have a new grey cover so when topless will retain clipper originally (except for 2.0L 16v on twin carbs).

Back to the top
Awesome video mate! Sound sooooo nice

Click on the link below to see my mk1 16v project

http://vwgolfmk1.org.u…-16v-project#post_1081899

Back to the top
Cheers mate.

Hood now fitted and looks awesome.  Just allowing it to settle before fitting side trims and carring out any final adjustments.  Huge thanks to Carl (Chortle), hood guru.  Cheers mate.

Car looks transformed……….

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.