Skip navigation

91 Clipper Cab ABF 16v-twin 45s

Back to the top

91 Clipper Cab ABF 16v-twin 45s

Many years back i built a MK1 and loved it………

So after having a few years playing away with two seater sports cars I thought it was time to return to the flock.
The search began for a cabriolet with good shape body and good interior that i could carry out an engine swap on.

I came across this '91 Clipper.  A deal was done and she is mine:)

It looks as though the car was shiped out to Cyprus for two to three years and then obviously loved soo much that it was then shipped home.  This has helped as the body as is mint with the only repair required is the usual clutch-hole repair panel.  The interior doesnt look  as though its been sat in!  The engine though is not so good.  Leak from the bottom of the rad and a bit of a leak from fuel pump area. the 'poo'burg carb though is the first ive had that actually does what it should!!!  The sun has taken its toll on the roof but a new black vinyl on is in the boot ready to be fitted.  Not sure if ill sell this and go for a mohair, just have to see how things pan out.

These issues are not much of a worry as the plan is a 2.0L 16v on a pair of twin 45s so most will be changed.

Back to the top
Shipped over to Cyprus and back and still only 77K on clock:) That little holiday did the body a great favour.

Carbs turned up in the post yesterday

Back to the top
looks like a nice solid base that, look forward to seeing that, what that in the background of the pic ? your passat estate as well?

Good luck with build bud, and hope your glad to be back in a mk1 :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Yeah, thats the daily workhorse.

Very pleased to have a mk1 again, just want to get started on the engine swap.
Thanks

Back to the top
Most of the bits now gathered, just looking for a cheap 2.0 16v in golf or seat etc.

I was going to run as is for this year and then convert but I couldnt wait so had a spare hour and got cracking…

Picking up hoist tonight, so engine should be out tomorrow and then begins bay clean-up and de-wire……

Back to the top
Before……

After…

Back to the top
Moving fast lol. Love that blue one mate keeping an eye on this as I'm doing 16v pretty soon.

MK1 Cabby '90 R.I.P

'83 tin top gti

Back to the top
No messing around here! Best of luck with your engine search  :lol:

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks mate. Engine found. Doner mk3 golf 16v sat on the drive awaiting the axe!!! Been a busy few days :)

Back to the top
Days are numbered for this mk3……..3 to go

Back to the top
Been a bit of a busy week so progress has slowed a little.  

So a bit of an update:- Abf now removed from MK3 and cleaned up.  A long list of parts are about to be ordered, included cam belt, water pump cam cover and sump gaskets.  Also sorting out which parts are needed for the swap.  

Im going with all MK1 pulleys and alternator on the abf and, obviously, the mk1 mounts.  I had hoped to use abf ecu but have given up on this idea in favor of KR management, distributor and loom.  Huge thanks to DUBUnit for sorting these bits.  

Gearbox wise ill be running and MK3 rod change box (CHB code).  The long boring bit has started now though….Cleaning and painting.  Plan is to replace all hard to reach gaskets and belts whilst out of the car and then paint to maintain an oem looking.  If vw fitted a 2.0L 16v on twin 45 carbs into a cabriolet this how id expect it to look.  So clean is the order of the day, neat wiring and aluminium silver box and cam cover.

Whats left of the MK3 is off to the scrap yard, prob could have got more breaking but can work on mk1 until its off the drive.  

Gave it five minutes and it came up quite well.

Pic of loom to be used

Back to the top
After a day at ultimate dubs back home early and got cracking. Cleaned block and painted. Same with gearbox (dont worry, ive got rubbers) and also removed sump for cleaning and new gaskets.

Also found myself a nice leather wheel at the show. Ive never liked mk2 style wheel in cabbys so thought just this would give indication to noise under bonnet with all the rest hiding the fact;)

Back to the top
Also, whilst at Ultimate Dubs, I saw my cars twin………

Both on 77K, although mine has done 500 miles more.

Great to meet the owners and hope to catch them soon at next meet.

Back to the top
Yesterday degunk'd the bay.

And also fitted twin fans to new rad.

Back to the top
Been busy since last update doing the things dont look as though things are moving on.  De-greasing, cleaning and painting.  Replaced engine seals and prepared to fit engine.  New clutch fitted.

Now in, belt done!  Not long now hopefully…….

Back to the top
Quick update:

Gearbox issues caused the removal and refitting of 'box twice to then be removed and new one fitted!!!  Clutch release arm didnt seem to push far enough. So after removal and inspection saw that release arm didnt push as far as other box i had.  Readjusted and in again i still wasnt happy and then arm slip again.  Out it came and in went replacement.

New 8mm fuel lines and regulator fitted.  Custom bracket made to hold pump and filter in recess next to tank.  Wires ran to fuseboard.  Also fitted a crash cut out switch from a renault clio.  It simply cuts the power to the pump in a hard impact or if the car 'turns turtle'.

All of the cooling system complete.  Only jobs left are to bolt on carbs and fit exhaust manifold, which has just arrived from Dub Power Direct. Really helpful and good price as includes stainless flexi-link pipe.
Then get her running and set-up.  Ill get vids posted when I get around to starting.

Sneak pic of 3 piece split wheels……

Back to the top
Bloody hell, you don't hang around!  Looking very good, these projects usually span loads of pages - here's we are on page 2 and you're almost done, absolute top work!

Back to the top
looks nice what sort of money is the carb setup costing ? im thinking of ditching the injection on mine for carbs

Back to the top
This is as the car stands today.  Pics now up-todate.  Not much difference unless you are fiitting this engine and can see changes.
Price is down to what ever the carbs are found at.  Pump cost about £30 and the rest is down to you. No need for custom alternator brackets as 8v pulleys fit.

Back to the top
Up early this morning so outside I went. Carbs on and fuel system finished. Exhaust manifold on also. Just power for fuel pump and small hose rad to expasion tank to sort. Oh, also breather piping to make and fit.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.