Skip navigation

1Z Cabby TDi, on the road

Back to the top

1Z Cabby TDi, on the road

I picked up a new project yesterday, a 1988 Cabby Gti thats been stood since 2007  :|

Haven't had much time to play with it this weekend as the weather turned a bit white as soon as I got it off the trailer, but did manage to get it going today after adjusting the fuel mixture on the metering head and not that it matters but there is a bit of bottom end rattle when first fired up.

The roofs got a rip in it, so sourcing a replacement sooner rather than later as it will be sat outside for a week or so while I determine whether to strip the TDI lump out of the 5 door Mk1 or find a cheap mk3 to do it all again.

Got a couple of photos from the sellers advert, will load some better ones up when i eventually find/buy a new lead for the camera……………

Back to the top
looks like you will be having some fun,

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
Ah the sweet smell of diesel with the roof down :-)

Never thought I see Woz in a floppy !!

Doesn't look a bad buy mate, did you get it for peanuts ?

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Sir gammy in a cabby  8O  8O  8O

Nice colour. :wink:

1983(Y) VW GOLF GTi

Banner

Back to the top

ans4r said

Sir gammy in a cabby  8O  8O  8O

Nice colour. :wink:

The mrs will be using it if she ends up commuting further for work, thus doing the TDi conversion……power and economy  :wink:

Picked it up from a guy in Measham, he bought it as a project a few months ago but didn't have the time or know how to do anything to it and he bought it from someone who didn't do anything to it since 2007  8O

Ade, price was £425  :wink:

Back to the top
Bargain, plenty of room to spend some cash on it then.

See cabbys really are for girls, no dark side for Woz, similar to me just a maintainer !!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Good color, nice cab good luck

Back to the top
looks nice, good luck with conversion, if you get it done will you do the germany trip in the cabby ?

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
will keep an eye on this - lloks like a good base. will make a sweet car

Back to the top

richyhill said

…….. good luck with conversion, if you get it done will you do the germany trip in the cabby ?

No question of "if I get it done", I'll be taking the TDI conversion out of the other Mk1 I did and dropping it into this one  :wink:  :mrgreen:

Yes, this will be going Germany  8)  8)

Back to the top
so whats the plans with the tintop mate?

Banner

Back to the top

jellybelly said

so whats the plans with the tintop mate?
Probably going to sell it, either as a project (with no engine/gearbox etc as taking the TDI out) or put another engine in it later on.

Went a purchased a new lead for the camera, so here is 4 photos from Saturday when I got it back home………….

Snow started falling while I offloaded it from the trailer, so here's a Winter type shot  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
this was not to far from me, i wondered who would buy it

shame about the tintop mate, why have you change you mind to stick the engine in a cabby?

Banner

Back to the top
Spent a few hours during the evenings working on the Cabby and managed to make progress  :)

Firstly it was make some room in the garage for the cabby and removed the ripped hood, just picked up a nice mohair one and will fit it in the nextweek or so and get photos of it fitted, but here's a photo of the cabby squeezed in the garage……

The old knackered GTi engine coming out…………..

This revealed the original colour of the Cabby 8O

So off to the local paint shop for a tin of paint

Note the extent people went to in the late 80's to stop their VW badge being nicked  :mrgreen:

Welcome to the TDI  lump  8)

And this afternoon, the TDi, went in  :wink:

Back to the top
you dont hang about good progress.

Back to the top
That car looks like my old 1 my very 1st mk1 did it make its way to you via sheffield.

It dunt fit

Back to the top
top marks gammy, no holding about then :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
whats the TDi from mate - having read the thread i take it the mk1 it cam out of was not where this engine was originally from. if that makes sense?!?

whats it like on fitment and wiring to put this engine in?

Back to the top

veedubjay said

whats the TDi from mate - having read the thread i take it the mk1 it cam out of was not where this engine was originally from. if that makes sense?!?

whats it like on fitment and wiring to put this engine in?

At work at the moment, so cant commit much time to answering, but I took the TDi out of my other Mk1 5 door tin top which I fitted the Tdi into last summer.  Prior to that, I'd bought a MK3 Golf TDi (1Z engine code) and used that as the donor vehicle, stripping out the engine ECU, loom, fly by wire accelarator and immobiliser and cut the loom down to its basics to run the engine.
When I get a bit more time at home later on, I'll find you the link to it,but feel free to use the search function of the forum to find it in the Projects page

Back to the top

BigandDaft said

That car looks like my old 1 my very 1st mk1 did it make its way to you via sheffield.

I got it from a bloke in Measham and I've just checked through your previous posts to reveal it was your old cabby  :P  :P
Every detail that you sold it as, is exactly the same….like a time warp……the roof had the same rip, the 2 wires hanging across the brake pedal are still there and even the carpet is still in the same position from when you lifted it  :D  :D

Check out the link below for your for sale advert back in 2009……….

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=413794&highlight=#413794

Did you ever take the wife out in it? I found a bottle of Tommy Girl perfume tucked behind the rear door pockets, my wife likes it a lot (perfume and cabby)  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.