Skip navigation

Of interest to us all! Please read! Tax Exemption.

Back to the top

Re: OF INTEREST TO US ALL! PLEASE READ! TAX EXEMPTION.

Of interest to us all! Please read! Tax Exemption.

paul_c said

andybury said

paul_c said

pudgeylee said

………..These are not cars which are driven everyday but rather on sunny weekends, to attend enthusiast shows etc.. ……….

Be careful what you wish for. One of the suggestions put forwards was 'free' classic car road tax, but with the restriction that you can only use it to travel to-from official shows and events.
I realise where your coming from with this pre jan 1973 vehicles are already exempt with no restriction.Exempt Yes! restritions not wanted.Cant see it happening myself,we live in hope.

So logically, the thing to do would be ditch the pre 1973 historic exemption from paying tax, or impose restrictions on the use of the cars. Because simply defining a year which a car becomes 'classic' and is entitled to free tax, is unfair in principle. Making that year a bit sooner, or allowing it to roll forwards, isn't that much less unfair.
This was a 25 year exemption when introduce some years back,when the new Labour government was elected with Tony Blair they put a cap on it and the roll on was ended leaving it at pre January 73.Scrap the rund fund Licence and put it on the fuel (already 75% tax) and V.A.T. but thats how it is here I,am afraid.We are taxed to death literally!

Back to the top
Speak for yourself! I've gotten the tax I pay down to quite a low level.

Back to the top
They came up with a better way of apportioning tax costs to motorists (road pricing) but 1 million people objected to it, despite it being revenue neutral. NW Tonight did a feature/analysis of it choosing 3 typical motorists. 2 private motorists came out better, the only one worse off was a company rep who did something like 20,000 miles a year, at busy periods. And his company would have paid for it, not him.

Road pricing makes sense - the main factor which makes motoring inefficient is congestion, so they could price road usage according to time of day/date, as well as miles covered, whether its rural/urban, etc etc. But with that many people objecting, it was ditched and unlikely ever to be resurrected.

Back to the top
Done as well :-)

2007 Passat 2.0 Sport Estate TDI 170PS (The Bus) 2004 Golf FSI 1.6 (The Wifes) 1988 MK1 Golf Gti Cabriolet (The FUN!)

Back to the top
signed.

Back to the top
signed :)

Back to the top
signed..Andy

Back to the top
I have signed up

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
All done :-)

Back to the top
I've got a 33 year old mk1 signed all day long
Got the family to as well lol now put it on Facebook
Only need 80k more :D

Back to the top
signed up;
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.