Skip navigation

watch out for auto glym products on roofs- DONT USE!!

Back to the top

watch out for auto glym products on roofs- DONT USE!!

Okay,

First of all you need MSDS sheet that will list the ingredients in the product.
Ring and ask them to send it to you.

That way you will have a chance of knowing whether the product contains any coelessing solvents.

This may be a source to strip the white Vynil.

(they are stating that It contains no solvents, or aggressive components which will change the colour of vinyl surfaces. However doesn't state wether anything it contains would strip the vynil plasticiser)

It's doubtfull Red or pink would be used in the manufacture of the white plastisicser and would only change due to a chemical reaction.

Did you have actual white residue from the hood left on your cloth, after you used the product?

To stand any chance of a succsesful suit against them you would need an expert report from a Chemical Engineer, explaining how the effect has occured.

That will be expensive, probably around £500.00. and involve using expensive equipment such as a gascrytometer.
Even then it may prove inconclusive.

My other option would be to remove the hood and then produce the hood in court with the product and the cloth and ask the judge to use the product, if it happens again then it's massive evidence of a product failure.

Even if you win they have the argument in regards of costs if any were to be awarded against them as the hood is 24 years old and probably failing anyway.

Your argument would be that having to replace the Origional hood takes away the Origionality from the vehicle which is a classic car and thus has devalued the car.

Is the base cloth Grey in colour?
Just for my information.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Dear Stefan

I refer to your email of 24 January 2012 to Mark Prudden.

We attach a copy of the Safety Data Sheet relating to Autoglym's Vinyl and Rubber Care product.

We cannot provide you with details of the product ingredients as this information is confidential to Autoglym.

Regards

Nicky Morrison | Legal Assistant

stefan nicholls

Back to the top
I hope i'm wrong but I think Autoglym will fob you off due to the fact that their products have on the back 'Always test a small inconspicuous area first'

Back to the top
They should send some one out to take a look and test It themselves, there product ruined it they should sort it.

Back to the top
When I used this exact same product on my white hoodliner it did the something similar. The dirt was lifted but deposited into the grain of the vinyl and it looked horrible. I used sugar soap out of a DIY shop and it came up a treat.

Maybe worth a try as the sugar soap was dirt cheap.

Back to the top

sugar soap

well its worth a try as auto glym have basically told me to take them to court as its just tough and wont supply any details of whats in the product or acknowledge any questions now so im going to focus on getting a roof sorted for the spring and find someone close to help with finishing my engine off
thanks to everyone for their support and posts
keep them coming to help others

stefan nicholls

Back to the top
Void sent you a PM just.

Can you get back to me ASAP please.

Regards

Chortle

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.