Skip navigation

1980 Yellow Golf LS Turbo

Back to the top

1980 Yellow Golf LS Turbo

hey man,

got a few oil coolers of various sizes knocking around so tried them all, i think ive plumped for my setrab 9 row i think cooler, it previously cooled this engine when it was in my mk3 and mk2 poloes, and I can leave the bigger ones for the turboe'd lumps.

Space is at a premium by the charger, as the boost piping is in the way of mounting the oil cooler just behind the grill, I've decided to mount it on the radiator, just next to the slimline fan, will keep an eye on temps and think about moving it once I get the ally piping and my lovely friend mr Arun Phataz to tig weld them up for me :)

Azbar - I checked the part numbers and it turns out the G40 part no is different from the Mk2's so I'll use the cambelt thats in your car on my GF engine. Sorry I've not called round and got it, I'm just struggling without a motor at the minute :(

Back to the top

grungeisdead said

But now thinking of just using the polo mount, as we have a cut up mk3 polo and even if I run a non supercharged mk1 lump I'll still be able to use the original polo mount.

Definitely your best option.  I was gonna suggest this to you but you had already commited and cut the polo engine bracket up  I've seen a G40 bracket modded to fit the golf bush/chassis before and it looked the weakest, p*ss thin way of supporting the heaviest side of the engine I've ever seen.  Keeping the G40 engine bracket as is and making a matching chassis leg mount is by far the easier option.

p.s. I'll just drop round the cambelt then, I didn't realise you still were immobile

Back to the top
Cheers d00d :) yeah bus train and legs ATM. Über ghey!

A couple of mates mentioned cast iron being something a diy'er can't do in a garage for various reasons, So cracked on this evening spurred on by last nights research

So I set about with this

Which lead me to this

Then I got bored and set out for destruction

About 20 smacks with a mini sledgehammer saw it crack

Back on the Golf - chopped chassis leg and trialling/measuring

Here's where I finished up tonight

I shifted the engine the furthest to the left as he mounts would allow so plenty of room to move the engine to the right if necessary, but I'm pretty happy so far.

Back to the top
Nice work dude :)

Back to the top
Engine out again, only needed driveshafts off, gear linkage and engine mounts so quick job

Cleaned up the mount and surrounding area, tack welded in a couple of places before I took the engine out and started to plate it up using 1.5mm zintec sheet

Only got a couple of hours on it an my lift came , Got the day off tomorrow so should hopefully be productive :)

Back to the top
You don't hang around do you mate. Nice work.

Back to the top
Nah mate haha. I don't see my misses till the weekend so I get to spend all week in the mancave =D

Decided to tax the Beemer and throw in some steel seal stuff to prolong it for a week or two as I've got errands to run that need a car!

Did some more on the mount today but ran out of gas no long after I started, knew I was running low so the Beemer will take my ass and das gas bottle to work tomorrow for an exchange.

Nowt worse than no gas on a weekend/days off next week!

Planning on a late one tomorrow night, I wanna get it finished up and in a coat of epoxy mastic, while I've got some mixed i'll give the comets newly welded panels a coat too, ready for the outer sill to go on :) bust out the seam sealer on Saturday and drop the engine back in.

Back to the top
charger mount done - far better

4 branch extended and lambda bosses welded in

rad, oil cooler, lines and fan fitted

finished up most of little jobs off this evening

few minor jobs tomorrow

swap ecu/chip
wiring - fan / thermoswitch / alternator / starter
exhaust rubbers

and hopefully all being well it'll fire up and I can rejoice and take it into work on Tuesday :)

then theres a few jobs in the near future i wanna do, tidy up some of the wiring, get a load of grommets to replace the missing ones on the bulkhead, refit the front cage door bars, replace the centre box for a straight through

Back to the top
Nice work mate. She's almost there.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
well highs and lows in the golf saga since my last update.

that monday night I smashed it out to get the car ready to crank over and found a leak or two. one from the oil pump alloy cover and another from the block to rear water pipe, and another from various points on the sump.

turns out the previous owner decided to negate the need for gaskets in certain parts of his rebuild =/ amongst other things *sigh*

anyway oil pump cover off

turns out the gasket is obsolete and the jebends at elring wont reply to my query as i found their respective part number to see if they supply it, so i just used some black silicone gasket maker and sealed it that way - refitted it all

and left it at that for the day.

then we saw bye bye to another unit friend

removed the inlet manifold to get decent access to the water pipe, glad i did, as one of the bolts had been hero tightened and mangled so was a mare to get out. anyway refitted with a gasket and some sealant for good measure

left that to cure and then took a sabbatical from the cars whilst me and a few friends went on an epic 1400 man paintball battle.

got back on it tonight, soldered up the fan and thermo switch, and proper vw plug for the starter motor/alternator harness, tightened up the hubnuts, topped up the fluids and cranked the engine to build up oil pressure.

all good, no leaks, went to fire it up - no go.

fuel check
air - DOH - reattached boost pipe that was removed when i was fitting new copper washers

went to fire it up - no go

fuel - still check
air - check
spark - ok from the coil, no go to the plugs. scratch head - take off dizzy cap - no rotor arm - deuchebag i am!

went to fire it up - it liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiives! so good to hear that supercharger whine again.

then sorted out the headlight wiring and went for a kfc with the boys and called it a night.

going to mess with the exhaust tomo and make this straight thru

also got these coming for the golf, as its done its time on 14 inch alloys and I've now sold the borbets

just need to get hold of some 195/45s now

Back to the top
Must've been a great feeling to hear the old girl live again. Congrats mate. Those rims are going to look great when fitted. :)

Back to the top

Straight thru done, needs some tweaking to maintain an idle long enough while I time it up, fingers crossed for tomorrows session

bobbed over to unit tonight with a few jobs in mind.

Redo earthing point to charger
Replace hosing to aav
check spark plugs
Swapped out dizzy and coil
Reset co pot to 650ohms and idle screw all the way in then 2 1/2 turns out.

Refused to idle still argh.

just stuck on a spare ecu that had a ko3 chip in and that idled fine, so swapped the chips over and it seems to have solved it.

Cold and hungry by then I gave up. So tomorrow gonna swap over some wheels, run it up to temp, set timing, co on the gas analyser and the idle and take it for a spin :)

its lives, it drives =D

poly engine bushes - bad idea - my roof vibrates now haha
belts have slackened off slightly in my drive, think the engine mount bolts may be slightly loose =/ safffronnnnnnnn!
BTS didnt seem to make any difference when i unplugged it while it was warming up, so probably not a good sign! need to get my multimeter out tomorrow.

so 50 mile round trip to work tomorrow, bit of a tweak in the evening and then I will give the cars a full wash, polish and wax on friday ready for all types.

then its time to crack on with the comet blue as theres only a couple of weeks worth left on it. If i could get by the first week in June i would be very happy, and being half way through the year my target of getting every car working and drivable will be half way complete, with two cars left to go.

good times

Back to the top
Lovely car mate. Exhaust looking good. Whats the plan with the BMW??

Back to the top
E21's - nice  :cool:

Nice Golf too!  :)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I poly bushed my cabby once ……..

OMG, I couldn't see out of the rear view mirror!!!!

It was satisfying ripping them out though ;)

Back to the top
dunno ive had it since october now, i have to hand it to bmw, they do know how to build a car to last and still feel solid.

shame the same cant be said for all the bushings haha! its my daily, just chopped a coil or two (and a half) off the front, stuck on a set of compos, sub/amp in boot, set of recaros and a momo team and i was a happy boy.

thinking of parting with it so I actually have one modern 'reliable' yawnbox - if you have a tdi drop me a pm.

on the other hand if you have anything retro and reliable/interesting etc drop me a line

golfies all good did 350 miles on it, its in the garage - the exhausts blowing from the joints so need to whip it off and paste it all up
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.