Skip navigation

Daily Driver Help!

Back to the top

Daily Driver Help!

Right then!

First of all dont laugh!!

I have own my daily for around 6 year and it has been amazingly good to me, never let me down at all in 90k

it's a Pug 307 HDI in Gold :lmao:

these cars are selling for 1k or less so pritty worthless

now my dilemma is this:

It is getting on a bit now 51 plate 120k and its getting very rough, the clutch is on it's way out, the cat is held together with a bean tin, an abs sensor has gone, needs a service, MOT in April :(

so do a spend abit of money on it to last another year, i reckon around 500 to 1k to fix all

do i fix the abs and sell it for cheap money and get another motor

or break it

also i'm flat out stink atm

what you lot reckon! :dontknow:

Banner

Back to the top
If it was me I would prob fix the things, especially as its been so reliable for you.

But it also depends on how much you think it will set you back in the near future.

Back to the top
it's getting old so i will start costing more and more

Banner

Back to the top
Would it just be a case of now thou that you fix one thing then another will go, always been my luck Matt. Personally would try and recoup some money and get a new daily
Just me though  :dontknow:

Back to the top
i do want a new daily but with no money it's tricky

it has been a good car to me but how much longer will it last, i dont want another money pit on the drive like the 2 mk1's

Banner

Back to the top
Could you put the money into your fixing up the mk1 and use that daily ?

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
If the pugs worth sub 1K and you need to spend £500-1K to get it fixed then its a no brainer? Sell the pug as spares/repair buy new motor. you could get a ok mk4 gti for 1K

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
the mk1 diesel is used most days but the mrs wont drive that so need something both could drive

funk you have a point :) i shall have alook into that one

Banner

Back to the top
I think swapping it for a £1k 10+ year old MK4 GTI would be out of frying pan into fire  :dontknow: with extra insurance and less mpg.

As your original post, its either stick with it or start again with something a lot newer. If moneys tight is it a good idea to be spending £4000+ on a newish motor?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
not really a good idea to spend that sort of money atm but to keep spending money on the pug seems pointless

Banner

Back to the top
If it was me I'd get what I could for the Pug in its current state instead of spending that sort of money on it when it's 10-11 years old. Then use the Mk1 until you have more money to get a newer daily. Don't know the ins and outs, but can't your wife get used to driving the mk1…'like it or lump when times are tight' sort of thing (anything's better than walking everywhere)? :dontknow: Then technically, you'll have saved up to 1k on repairs, will maybe have one less insurance to pay, one less road tax to pay and will have some dosh from the sale…a few steps closer to buying a newer car later on?

Back to the top
Run the Pug until April (or until clutch dies) then see if finances have eased for you.  Buying any second hand car at the sub £1000 is probably going to be hiding a can of worms, at least you know the ills of the Pug and and I'm guessing you have no finance etc owing on it, so technically what one person pays in loan repayments for driving a new vehicle you pay less on repairs.
Cross your fingers the Pug keeps running and drive the mk1 diesel as much as you can for now.

Back to the top
i think your right gammy run the pug till it actually dies

the other issue is i thought you have to have another insurance policy to be able to have a classic? am i wrong

also how long do you no claims last if there not being used?

have be driving the MK1 diesel as much as i can and loving it tho :)

my mrs has only just passed her test so the mk1 is a big "NO"!!!! as she can't get insured on it

Banner

Back to the top
well today the pug kinda died

think the water pump has gone :(

it broke as i pull in to work so all was not lost, got it recovered home and pick the golf diesel up :)

theres a golf mk3 gti for sale down the road for £1600 would love it but the mrs wouldn't get insured on it

Banner

Back to the top
Normally if you cancel an insurance policy or let it run out, you can re-use your NCB up to 2 years after then it goes back to 0.

Back to the top
What about sticking with Peugeot, since they're pretty reliable? A Mk3 GTI will be a nightmare, how old are they now?

Back to the top
Will be selling a mk2gtd soon , makes a great daily

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
jim i'm interested in that

let me know

Banner

Back to the top
sell me the the one then buy that of jim for daily job done :)

Back to the top
do you really want my diesel that much mate?

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.