Skip navigation

Won't accelerate!

Back to the top

Won't accelerate!

Hm. Today I checked the fuel supply, which was good. And the fuel system pressure was also good.
So, as far as I can  understand, my fuel pump is OK.
Any tip on what I should do next?

The car runs on all four sylinders. If i push down the throttle a bit while starting, the rpm runs smoothly up like everything was OK, but then it dies. Unless I take my foot of the throttle. Then it runs like on its usuall idle.

I cant push down the throttle while its running, it just cuts out , loosing all power…. :dontknow:
This is really frustrating! :banghead:

Golf California Cabriolet 1.8 GL 1988

Back to the top
unless you have a set of pressure gauges you wont be able to check pressure is good! could be its ok at idle, but wont supply enough under load. could be wur is faulty, or the pressure reg in metering head is setting system pressure wrong which will throw everything else out.

http://clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=81658

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Ooookey, so I think I have located my problem!

Checked control pressure regulator today. My gauge jumped immidiately up to about 4.5 bar. ShouldŽnt it rise slowly to about 1,5 bar?
Thing is, when I started testing, the engine was working perfectly! Hmm.
I had a fuel leak on my gauge, and a small stream of fuel was leaking out. But when I sealed it, the enginge immediately lost its power again.
So maybe its getting to much pressure.

I tried to clean my Control Pressure Regulator, it was some dirt and rust in it. But it didnt help.
Also I checked the terminals on it, and they had no resistance….

Does this mean I need a new CPR? ( or is it called WUR?)
AND, any tip on where I could get a used one? Do i have to find a Golf with the exact same engine, or not?

Thanks so much for helping me out here.
Thanks for the thread too. Also been reading this one a lot
The Bad Habit Rabbit - Volkswagen Rabbit Page - Fuel Pressure Gauge

Best regards

Back to the top
yup that definitely isnt right! new wur is required. you coudl try stripping it down and cleaning it, maybe the mesh filter is clogged up. dont remove it though that makes em run weird too!

k-jetfactorymanual.pdf - Google Drive
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_V9-6xfgGlIY2M3M2I2OTctOWExOS00YWJlLWJlMzctZmNkMzI1NDJkYmNj/edit

Back to the top
Cool!

May I ask,
is it supposed to be a vacuum line attached on the WUR? (If my picture works, its where IŽm pointing)

The terminals has no resitance. Can a good electrician fix it, or is it a lost case?

Thanks again for sharing your knowlege, rubjonny!

Back to the top
that is just an atmospheric pressure input, normally it has a black dust cap over it but it should be open like that.

repairing the heater inside the WUR wont help much as the pressure will still be all wrong, all the plug does is heat the wur up a bit in addition to the engine heat. it wont make it instantly open to 4.5bar.

if you open it up though you might find something obvious that is fixable, but personaly i would just get another one

Back to the top
Got another WUR today, that was supposed to be working. It has restistance between the terminals too.
But still, the pressure is about 5,5 /6 bar. Which is the same as the system pressure. Could there be something other than the WUR that is blocking the return fuel and making the pressure that high?

Might also mention after turning the engine off, my controll pressure drops from 5,5 to 3,5 and then it uses , IŽd say hours, before going to 0 bar.

Back to the top
hmm. maybe look at the wur fuel lines next, and the return back to the tank if they're ok then id say it'll be the metering head

Back to the top
Thanks for quick awnsering! :)

IŽve taken the fuel lines to the WUR and cleaned them. When I checked the fuel delivery, I got ALOT of fuel out from the return line to tank. (My 0.8litre cup was full in 20 seconds).

Metrering head. Thats worse, isnŽit ?

The car has always had a hot start problem and also it has had some poor acceleration…

Back to the top
metering head isnt so bad to change, its just a case of can you find a good one! oh and is your system pressure ok?

Back to the top
Can I fix the one I have, somehow?
Some usual problems? I only know the sensor plate moves smoothly…

Back to the top
you can open them up but they can be bad even if they look perfect inside. you have to be very carefull and make sure no dirt gets in they're very sensitive. you wont loose anything i guess! just as long as you are 100% positive this new wur was working! also was it stored properly if its been off the car for a long time?

Back to the top
I see.

I dont have much knowlege about my new WUR. Only the word from its seller. I will open it now and clean it…

Can I test the WUR by taking the return fuel line to metering head off and check its delivery rate? Would that give any awnsers?

Again, thanks so much for your help! :)

Back to the top
HURRAY!
It works! :D

The WUR I bought was full of dirt. Cleaned it very good and then I got my 1.5 bar fuel pressure.

I noticed that there where a diffrent kind terminal on my two WURs. The old one has a restistance of 12 ohm and my new one has 24ohm. The old one has two "resistors" inside, one with 20ohm and one with 30ohm. They are wired in parallel, so 12ohm is the correct value. However, is it ok to use the 24ohm WUR?

Cheers  :wink:

Back to the top
it should be 20-20ohm resistance, god knows what those resistors were in there for!

Back to the top
Cool

Thanks so much Rubjonny. You saved my car from the scrapyard!

Best Regards
Aasmund

Back to the top
no problem at all, glad you got to the bottom of it! now you can charge for k-jet troubleshooting and make back the money spent on them gauges ;)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.