Skip navigation

Lower bonnet catch

Back to the top

Lower bonnet catch

Can anyone tell me if the mk2 golf lower bonnet catch is the same as the mk1?

They only seem to have them listed for the mk2 on vw heritage..

Cheers :)

Drive like you mean it!

Back to the top
Yes they are the same

On eBay, type in Vw golf mk1 bonnet and chubnut99 is selling one

I would have put up the link but on my iPhone and can't get it to work on the iPhone eBay app

Cheers chris

Back to the top
Nice one cheers Chris :)
Tom

Drive like you mean it!

Back to the top
no they arnt the same, tintop mk1 has bonnet cable on the other side!
edit: post 83 cab does use the mk2 LHD bonnet catch though, so it might possibly fit the tintop/early cab

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Ah ok! I ordered the G2 one through vw heritage yesterday! Just had another look on the website and they now have the mk2 LHD one on there too.. I geuss thats the one i want!

Drive like you mean it!

Back to the top
first compare the mk2 one you ordered to the hole in your slam panel to make sure it'll fit, if it will then the lhd mk2 one may do you fine.

looking at it though the upper catch on the bonnet is different pre/post 84 cabby too so im thinking if you want the lhd mk2 lower catch you also need the upper catch to match it! and lhd/rhd upper catch is different too for some reason

Back to the top
Tom

Im sorry if thats my fault  :redfaced:

I got that one I said for my cab but my prob was that I never realised that the upper catch was a mk2 one and bought 2 mk1 uppers before I realised there was 2 different ones.

The upper on my cab has the spring on the right and the earlier mk1 had the spring on the left, so I found out it was a mk2 upper that I needed.

I dont know why there are so many permatations   :dontknow:

Chris

Back to the top
Its ok no worrys :)
I've compared my old catch to the pic on the vw heritage website and they look the same..
I guess ill just wait and see what turns up!
Yeah you would have thought they'd all be the same!
Thanks for your help,
Tom

Drive like you mean it!

Back to the top
upper catch, note post-84 RHD cab and LHD mk2:
http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Bonnet-catch-upper-Mk2-LHD-Cabrio-RHD-84_act_shop.product_pID_48416341_lang_EN_country_GB.htm

lower catch, again note post-84 RHD cab and LHD mk2:
http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Bonnet-catch-lower-MK2-LHD-Cabrio-84-RHD_act_shop.product_pID_48416497_lang_EN_country_GB.htm

RHD MK2:
http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Bonnet-catch-lower-G2_act_shop.product_pID_45367_lang_EN_country_GB.htm

plus note the part numbers. 191 = LHD or non side specific part, 192 = RHD specific part. But I'm pretty sure if you buy the late cab/mk2 lhd upper catch as well the lhd mk2/late cab lower catch will work with it :)

Back to the top
Ok think i may be alright!?
I've ordered the RHD lower catch and the new upper catch i have has the spring on the right, opposite to the one in the link..

Drive like you mean it!

Back to the top
no its not going to work, the difference between mk2 lhd and rhd is the side the cable comes out on. unlike the mk1 the mk2 has the cable on the driver side on the rhd cars. you'll see what i mean anyway!

Back to the top
Not sure how I've managed it but they are pretty much the same!

Only difference is the old one has a pinch bolt there the cable goes in but the new one needs a bit attached to the cable itself..

Sure i have something off my old bmx brake setup that will do the job :)

Drive like you mean it!

Back to the top
hmm, i wonder if you could just use a later mk1 cab bonnet release cable

Back to the top
I guess they would be the same length? Any idea how the late cad cables are adjusted? Would it be from handle inside or are they non adjustable?

Drive like you mean it!

Back to the top
non adjustable on the mk2/late cab cables, just has a ball on de end

Back to the top
I take back what i said.. It wont fit!

Although it looks the same, the 4 holes in the catch itself wont line up with the slam panel unless its in the wrong way round! Ya can see in the pics.. :dontknow:

So i need to swap them for these..?

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Bonnet-catch-lower-MK2-LHD-Cabrio-84-RHD_act_shop.product_pID_48416497_lang_EN_country_GB.htm

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Bonnet-catch-upper-Mk2-LHD-Cabrio-RHD-84_act_shop.product_pID_48416341_lang_EN_country_GB.htm

Cheers :)

Drive like you mean it!

Back to the top
cool good to know! those 2 parts should fit just fine together, assuming no other changes were made in 1984 im not aware of.

you'll probably need the later bonnet release cable too, funnily enough its the same as a mk2 golf RHD cable so thats handy.
the post-84 handle is same as a MK2 Golf RHD one too. Karman been raiding the MK2 parts bins :lol:

edit: actually, that could be a problem. i cant see how the rhd  mk2 bonnet handle could fit on the passenger side so im guessing from 1984 the handle is on the driver side in RHD cars? if so hmm not sure if the later cab parts will work unless you also get LHD post-84 cab cable n handle… unless the old cable is easily modified to work with the mk2 catch or the mk2 cable fits the old mk1 release handle?

Back to the top
Why after making all these engine parts so compatible do they make the bonnet release so complicated!

So those parts will be fine? It just depends on the handle and cable?

Will the catch be for a non adjustable cable like the one i have already got? I should be able to mod that pretty easy

Drive like you mean it!

Back to the top
im not 100% sure unfortunately, I assume they will be because the late cab slam panels still fit the early cars, and I haven't heard anyone say the late bonnets dont fit the early cars unless you change the catch!

the mk2 bonnet cables just have liek a ball on the end of the cable that slots into the catch, so its just worst case you need to change the cable end to make it fit. something like a bike brake cable end crimped on should do

Back to the top
This is an extremely useful thread chaps!

Have you by any chance found out how to easily mod the cable end? I have the early tintop golf with the cable running along the passenger side of the car and the cable ends without a ball…

from your investigations, could you please clarify which lower bonnet catch has the crimp bolt and which requires the ball at the end of the cable?

Thanks very much (sorry if this is a thread hijack)…. hope yours is sorted.

1980 Series 1 GTI (gone now .. what a mistake selling her!)
1979 Series 1 LD - the Mandarin Dragon … gone as well. oh dear.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.