Skip navigation

Now rebuild 2. going ABF, wheels and interior changes+++++more pics inside

Back to the top

Now rebuild 2. going ABF, wheels and interior changes+++++more pics inside

you could cut the slot in the mk2 airbox too, i just found it easier to have the whole bottom off. sounds much better if you do that ;)

bulbous could be another word for 'more air flow' :P

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

more pics added.....slow progress due to work and funds!

few more pics. have flushed out the cooling system (omg the c*** that came out!) Not gonna bother with engine flush, oil filter etc until I got the airbox sorted. will also tidy up the fule lines/injector lines at the same time.
Still not managed to MFA working and to be honest i cannot be ar**ed now. removed the badly wired in vdo guages as ive no interest in them. Got the tints removed, got front suspension out ready for the coilovers…..painting the calipers & carrier back to black again!

Its slowly getting there. got a few bits n bobs on the way and once paid again gett some more bits, mainly interior items.

no tints……better already!

yellow brakes??? really? lol

no black again…..good old hammerite  :D

not gonna bother with these

more soon….ish lol

Back to the top

quick update

Not got many pics to show but have been a busy boy.
Managed to get everything electrical working!!!! Head lights, rears, fog, reverse, number plate lights, indicators….you name it got fixed  :D  Biggest pain was the horn…..broken wire tucked in tight behind fuse box. :banghead:

got the coilies on today, not height adjuted but on. Changed the stealths for my bbs ra's and got rear brakes all stripped down ready for new evreything. drums, shoes, cylinders, handbrake cables. Old ones were proper fubbed!

Getting a full interior tomorrow and intend on swapping round all the seat foams and covers onto proper mk1 bases. Therefore I get tilting and freely moving leather recaro's.  :D

anyways see pics and plenty more to follow.

the new but used coilies:

front stripped ready for coilover. chuffed at the solid inner arches and wings

anyone know what the green bits for? it has a hose connected that runs to the dizzy/pipe from dizzy

cpmpletely ruined rear brakes.

thats all for a week or.

Back to the top
That green bit will be a map sensor. Needs to connected to a vacuum off the inlet manifold after the throttle body. Same for the Dizzy. That needs a vacuum.

Mk1 Golf Gti Abf conversion Project
Mk2 Golf Gti 16v
Mini Cooper S R53 (Daily)

Back to the top
hang on, you have a vacuum pipe to your dizzy? if so its a weights/vacuum advance unit. but you also have a kr spark controller (thats what you have in your hand there) you dont need both a weights advance dizzy AND a kr ign controller you need 1 or the other. best bet is fit kr dizzy

Back to the top
lol…..your losing me guys! Johhny I shall take a pic today to where the actual pipe goes to.
Will take lots of pics of engine set-up today also. As ive bought it with the conversion done I dont know how well its been done. If i was starting from scratch then I would pay someone in the know to do it. But if the engine conversion is anything like the rest of the mods thats been over the years……it wont be that good! lol. Still it gives me more experience rectifying other peoples shoddy work and doing it properly myself. :-)

Back to the top
see my cabby build thread for how it should be done :P

Back to the top
Ignore what I said (I think). I forgot that you don't have EFI.

Mk1 Golf Gti Abf conversion Project
Mk2 Golf Gti 16v
Mini Cooper S R53 (Daily)

Back to the top
no you're right thats a vacuum sensor on the ecu, im pretty sure its a map :)

Back to the top
Hey,
So me and my mate had 3 days in a row to work on car. I had decided to fit my bike carbs to it as I love the sound. This is going to be my daily so I wasnt too worried about what it all looks like under the hood. Just that it works. I will eventualy have a mint interior and exterior though. Had to midufy the top rad mounts a little and some clever braketry and pipework for the fuel pump. Once all was in I filled it with petrol……and there a damn hole in the tank!!  :banghead:  :banghead: However poured a little petrol straight to the carbs and it fired straight up! Good sign  :D  :D
Heres the pics:
The carbs;

The top fill rad all cleaned, sprayed and ready to rock:

Before during and after  :D

Thats all for now. Will have questions no doubt with wiring……soon! lol

Back to the top
Got to spend some more time on her this weekend. Stripped interior ready for sound deadening and re carpeting. Removed the horrible Mk2 big bumpers and of course uncovered a multitude of sins!  :banghead:

Made up my rear door cards. Will do fronts when I get chance. Just plain old black carpet. Smart and easy IMO.

As you can see the car is 3 different colours!! Boot and insides of doors are a blue colour….anyone know what it is??
Front floor and some of engine bay is green……but which green?? Lhasa?? No paint code sticker anywhere and v5 says blue. Maybe it was re-sprayed blue and changed on the v5 but surely that front floor is the original colour??

Outside is the hideous purple  :sick:

Going back to original black bumpers and single light grill. Already got the clear headlights and a HID kit to fit….so will be able to see at night  :D

Back to the top
yeah looks liek original colour was lhasa green, shame really its a nicer colour than that blue/purple!

Back to the top
cheers rubjohnny, I thought it was Lhasa green. Im half tempted to respray that colour completely now I know. Is Lhasa a relatively rare colour?

The outside colour is imperial blue with a lilac tint and large metal flake (thats whats on the tin anyway) However the blue inside the car is a different blue and actually really nice. Do you or anyone else reading know what blue this could be? I know its not Helios as its to light/bright. Were there any other mid tone metalic blues?

Back to the top
dont think lhasa is that rare, but it is one of the nicer colours i think.

hard to say really from the pics, could be bright blue metallic. i know cabs had a similar colour to this if not the same one?

my cab was a similar colour by the looks of it and i was a fan, i never did find out the exact shade but mk2 golf bright blue metalic is a close match if not the same:
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=61862

Back to the top
got some bits done at last. Brand new front and rear bumpers…not bad quality, not perfect but hey they were £28.50+vat each…..and I can get them regularly(might be able to do a deal for club members watch this space)  :D

Some rear lights. Not mint but will do til I buy a brand new set. Clear fronts, new grill, led indicators, 8kHid and led sides.

Brakes all done, rear beam bushes, arb bushes, wishbone bushes etc etc…..just need to get stance right now. Gonna run this year with the wheels in current state. Full repaint and wheel refurb early next year as just wont have the £££ this year.

Few bits to do around the body, full interior to go in once ive completely sound deadened it   floor, doors, rear quarts and roof!

Pics of how shes coming along  :D  :D

Normal side light compared to LED side light…..massive difference

HID on with Led sides

Even in the daytime pics above they are bright!

Back to the top
sorry crap vid and only see car for a few seconds………and thats not until 18 secnds in. lol. my mate just cut me off saying no brakes at all. lol.

luckily its a private road and very quiet. re-bled the brakes and all good now.

Back to the top
looking good now mate  , big improvement
j

1991 1.8 clipper :)

Back to the top
Thanks fella.

Back to the top

new ptrol tank and filler neck. Easier job than I thought.

Hey all. Not done much tot he old girl recently due to work and weather. Somuch for aa 2 month lead time to get on the road….its now 5! lol

The petrol tank was shagged so I finally got my butt into gear and changed it. Really wasnt as big as job as I thought. Filler neck was a piece of cake. Instead of screwing the new one in I used pop rivets and its so much better fit now.

Apart from that just little jobs here and there, fed an ariel cable from the beesting as it didnt have one, fitted some resistors to get the indicators flashing right, greased up all window regs so they now open and close with ease……..little but important bits.

Pics of tank change:

Get car nice and High!  :D

Then just do it!

Old and new:

Old tank is still here so if someone wants it for free to repair let me know.

This weekend in new front discs and pads. Need to source some nice floor sound deadening that is cheap. Was going to 3-m the whole thing but the stuffs heavy and expensive so thats just gonna be for the door panels and bulk head. Think I'll find a fibre/foam type for the floor.

It will be road worthy by summer…..i hope. lol

Back to the top

Big Update and now just 2 jobs for MOT !

Hey all,
I am terrible at taking pics all the time and keeping this thread up to date. So this is a fairly big update. The list of new parts has gone through the roof! To much to remember. But shes back together, looks great (imo lol) and now just needs a passenger door handle and boot lock fitting to pass the MOT.  These rules changed in Jan 2012 and I dont mind to be fair as the "de-handled" look isnt really me.

The rest of it is 100% so the MOT tester reckoned. Brakes are great, emmissions, etc etc. he even said what a good beam pattern I got with the HID's?? which I was sure it would fail on and have to revert to standard bulbs. Any ways here she is:

Used 50mm celotex to make boot floor level. worked a treat.

New sound deadening throughout. Has worked really well and given nice undercarpet feel.

My mate tinkering with the front drivers seat.

Cleaned up and looking good. Mot was booked and car insured so took it the long way to MOT station. Drove great, carbs made all the right noises and it turned heads like nobodies business. Finally a very happy man. lol

Once its Mot'ed and I have blown in the passenger side paint and stereo fitted I will get some more pics up. Amazing difference from what i started with though.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.