Skip navigation

Cutting out at 30mph, now not starting at all

Back to the top

Cutting out at 30mph, now not starting at all

HI folks,

Got a G plate Mk1 Golf GTI convertible with a mk2 1.8 16v engine.  Been off the road now for around 4 years.

Original problem, it wouldn't go above 30mph.  This put the car off the road and every garage and their dog had a go at fixing it.  If anything made the car worse.  I then decided to look on here and found out about changing the filler pipe and fuel pipe.  This has now been done, and fuel lines etc cleaned out.  Someone told me there's a black fuse/switch in the back of the dash that needs replaced to rectify this problem?

Now the car won't even turn over, new battery fitted and can hear fuel pump running when turning the key.  Could it be the starter?  It has a clifford and thatcham alarm/immobiliser, as it has been sitting a while, could this have packed in?  Stopping the car from doing anything!

Any help/knowledge would be greatly appreciated!  

Great looking wee car worth saving.  Even thought about a complete engine/wiring change but don't think this is called for just yet!?

Grant

Back to the top
Have you looked at the Fuel Pump itself or replaced it, it could be an intermittant fault or still be bunged up with the odd bit of gunge \ rust from tank etc??

Back to the top
Have you looked at the Fuel Pump itself or replaced it, it could be an intermittant fault or still be bunged up with the odd bit of gunge \ rust from tank etc??

Back to the top
What did the garages do, apart from take your money off you?

(What did the dog do?)

Back to the top
Fuel filter may be worth changing, not saying thats the fault but every little helps and all that

82 Golf Gti. The snail project (abf turbo one day)

Saab 93 diesel daily

Back to the top
Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Got the car turning over now, wires were on the starter motor in the wrong order!!!!  Sounds nice and powerful turning over.

No spark now, thinking it may be the alarm/imobiliser as they are Clifford/Cobra and not standard.  There's power to the distributor, earthing seems ok, fuel pump working (can smell the fuel when it's trying to start).

Going to strip the dash out this week and check wiring/connections.  Disconnect alarm first before imobiliser and fingers crossed.

If I can get it started and running then I can start to do filters, plugs, service, etc.

Will keep you posted.

Back to the top

paul_c said

(What did the dog do?)

I know the guy that owns the garage (not sure if that's good or not) so didn't take anything as they didn't fix it!

Back to the top
if it was me id have all the alarm out and start from there, theres not a lot you can do to immobilise a kjet gti though! quick n dirty test, run 12v from battery to the coil +ve and see if it fires up or at least you start to see a spark

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

thebigman81 said

paul_c said

(What did the dog do?)

I know the guy that owns the garage (not sure if that's good or not) so didn't take anything as they didn't fix it!

Other garages that looked at it locally were all when the previous owner had the car.  Not sure what they did or how much they charged him!!!!! Sure it wouldn't have been free.

Back to the top

rubjonny said

if it was me id have all the alarm out and start from there, theres not a lot you can do to immobilise a kjet gti though! quick n dirty test, run 12v from battery to the coil +ve and see if it fires up or at least you start to see a spark

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback.  I will be getting on to it at some point this week. Will keep you posted.  Think it's def a prob with alarm.  Will be glad to get it ripped out.  It also automatically locks the doors all the time as well which is a pain!

Back to the top
Got the car sparking now.

Disconnected alarm and imobiliser and found a multi plug just in front of the windscreen under the bonnet that had beeen disconnected.

Now seems to be massively over fueling, particularly from injector 4 (looking at the engine, one closest to cold start).  Also took the spark plugs out and turned it over, shoots fuel about 10 foot up in the air.  Need a metering head and injectors?

Fuel pump continually running, found out it's the wrong relay that's in the car.  Easy fixed

Earthing all fine.

Starter sounds really powerful then when you turn it again sounds like it's running at half power?

Thanks in advance.

Will try and get some pics up tonight.

Cheers
Grant

Back to the top

Back to the top

rubjonny said

Thanks very much, have pretty much done all that but will follow the steps again and see how we get on.

Would you have a link to a wiring diagram, just to make sure whoever has messed about with the car before has put things back in the right place etc.

Many thanks
Grant

Back to the top
cool, main thing to check is that the injectors dont spray unless the metering head flap is lifted. the 5th injector should only spray when cold and cranking :)

Back to the top
That's all working fine.

Just pushed the flap by hand from underneath and the injectors sprayed.

Cheers

Back to the top

This is a pic of the car from about 5 years ago, will post more current ones shortly.  Unfortunately not as tidy as this any more!

Back to the top
cool, probably just flooded from all the cranking. disconnect the 5th injector for now to stop it spraying and work from there. plus will probably be proper soaked if that much petrol came out so will want a good clean and leave for a while to dry out along with the bores

Back to the top
Do you know off hand if the injectors weren't spraying properly then I messed about with the sprung ends which seemed to clear them out (maybe had crap stuck in them from dirty fuel). Will they now be fine? Good even spray coming from them and putting out an equal amount

Back to the top
if they're spraying nice then they'll be fine dude, just make sure they dont spray when metering head flap is closed and that they dont drip for at least 5 minutes after you pull the relay bridge wire :)

Back to the top
Ok, so, turning over, got a great spark, getting plenty fuel with a good spray, timing set dead top centre, new starter fitted, battery plenty power, earthing all fine, ignition booster fine, cold start fine, plenty petrol, what next!? Still won't start.  Nightmare. Could it be the timing on the top of the metering head as described in the injection guide?

Oh yeah, fuel pressure over 4 bar

Thanks in advance
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.