Skip navigation

Looking for a car

Back to the top

Looking for a car

paul_c said

I don't know why arf333 has suggested a Mk1 Golf is slower than a 1.4 Mk3 Golf.

I never  :|

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top

arf333 said

if you want somethig to keep up with modern cars i wouldnt buy a 30 year old golf. why not get a mk3 1.4 ?

Back to the top
Yea I never said it was slower. I just wouldn't push something 30 years old to keep up with the twingo that's factory fresh because out of the 2 yours is gonna break first, that's why I suggested getting a newer model. 0-60 mk1 probs is quicker than a mk3 1.4 agreed

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
rather push a 30 year old car to the limit, then a mondern one, as paul said power to wieght will be much better, and no 1.1 car could leave another 1.1 sized car for dust let alone a jogger,

the only real factor when it comes to small engines is car wieght as paul already pointed out, and before you go out and buy air filters and alloys and white paint for the bonnet, becuase the box says its them go faster, put your money in ares where it will count more, oil change, filters plugs leads caps rotor arm  etc these in new condition will have more effect then a air filter and alloy wheels will have and probly cheaper

Back to the top
Not to sound harsh or anything here, but yes i am 16, and yes that means im a child but im not retarded, ino somthing about cars, i understand that paint will do nothing and most alloys look stupid, but what i dont know is much about the costs of such a car. But again thanks for the replys guys!

Back to the top

fordyce said

Not to sound harsh or anything here, but yes i am 16, and yes that means im a child but im not retarded, ino somthing about cars, i understand that paint will do nothing and most alloys look stupid, but what i dont know is much about the costs of such a car. But again thanks for the replys guys!

i could so easily name a load off well loved wheels that look stupid but i fear i would upset a ton off people

Back to the top
Does anyone know what engine sizes are available for the caddy?

Back to the top
Which caddy? mk1?

I think it was 1.1 petrol, 1.6 diesel, 1.8 95bhp petrol (sport caddy) for the mk1 ones but could be wrong here. Loads of them have engine conversions though, and they're really easy to do with it being golf-based.

Back to the top

paul_c said

Which caddy? mk1?

I think it was 1.1 petrol, 1.6 diesel, 1.8 95bhp petrol (sport caddy) for the mk1 ones but could be wrong here. Loads of them have engine conversions though, and they're really easy to do with it being golf-based.

i have one which is a 1.6 petrol :wink:

1983(Y) VW GOLF GTi

Banner

Back to the top
Do you know if the others are right?

Back to the top

paul_c said

Do you know if the others are right?

1.6 petrol
1.6 diesel
1.8 sport-caddy

but not sure about the 1.1 :dontknow:

1983(Y) VW GOLF GTi

Banner

Back to the top
Me neither, but at the end of the day, its a Caddy.

Back to the top
Im thinking about going to see a mk1 caddy, in blue tomorow, 1.6 petrol, juast had a full engine rebuild and the wheels  are 8.5 and 9 banded steels. but it says only very little surface rust behind the back window and the whole things need polishing, like the paint needs a bit of work. hes asking £950, i can afford it, shoud i go for it?

Back to the top
seems a fairish price for one with bands

Back to the top
do a dummy test on insurance, as i dont know how true it is as i've never owned one but viechles like pick up mini vans are considered commercial and bumps insurance up, but i dont know the truth behind that one worth finding out 1st

Back to the top
i had a polo 1.0 and a caddy mk1 1.6d and the caddy was cheaper LOL

I agree with the above tho get a quote
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.