Skip navigation

mk1 1.9 pd engine conversion and restoration finished.

Back to the top

pd240 project. Updated10/12/2012 daily updates

i forgot the pictures.

also could a moderator please move this to the build thread section please. save me having to start another.
danny

Back to the top

dany_sims said

also could a moderator please move this to the build thread section please. save me having to start another.
danny

Wish number 1 granted  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
wish number 2
please do the conversion for me haha
thanks

Back to the top
Nice project man! I've seen a lot worse bought for more :)

Back to the top
looks good mate,doesnt look too rusty,good luck with it  :wink:

Back to the top
Nice little project dude :)

Back to the top
had another few hours on the car today.
i may have found someone who can remove the immobiliser from the ecu and then also make me an engine loom to allow me to plug and play. (i may have a go at the loom myself)
does anyone have a wiring diagram for the model i have? 1.1 1982 has blade fuses and box relays.

here are a few pictures from today.
i got the rear drum stripped of and have decided that the easiest way to make the rear axle to 5 stud is to get the drum drilled and tapped out. i would prefer a disc conversion if anyone knows of a way to do this?
also whist doing this i discovered the rear arch is worse than i thought.

i also got half of the front arch cleaned up with the angle grinder and i have to say its much better than i first thought it would be.
i also removed the shocker and top mound to see how i would be able to fit the mk4 suspension.

here is my plan of action.

mk4 golf coilovers front (had these lying in the spare room
mk1 top mounts
mk1 wishbones
with mk4 bottom ball joint.
mk4 pd150 6 speed driveshafts shortened.
mk4 hub assembly with 312mm or 288mm front discs.
i am unsure on the track rod ends to use as i have not got everything lined up yet and that will be the last thing before the shafts are measured.
comments welcome guys and if anyone wants to point out anything i may have missed then get me told.

thanks fr reading

Back to the top
also what is the average size alloys that everyone fits to the mk1? as the 312mm brakes need 16's so i ight have to go with the 288mm brakes which means i can sell the 312mm brakes. to add funds to the mk1

Back to the top
how do i end the poll?
danny

Back to the top
To be honest Danny, i think(personal opinion thats all) that anything bigger than a 15" rim looks out of place on a Mk1 Golf. Its your car though mate.
Also, theres a great bloke on here, (i know of him from CGTI forum)that is an absolute genius where engine wiring conversions are concerned. He can take an engine loom from one car, and literally convert it to plug n play for a different car. You'd need to pm him to get better details mate.

Back to the top
if you can either post his username or pm it to me that would be great.
just give him both looms andget a perfect loom back would be spot on.
also been brainstorming again.
mk1 shaft with mk4 outer and inner cv's
anyone tried this or think it could work? if not im giving it a go.
i am goig to sell the 312mm brakes and just go with 288 to allow 15inch wheels. although my wheels will need to be 5 stud

Back to the top
Sorry mate, meant to put his username and then forgot.  :redfaced:
His name is rubjonny. He's on the ball and should be able to let you know whats possible. There's also a guy on cgti who's had great success chopping and re-welding driveshafts. He's called powernut on there….fabricating genius he is. Rubjonny is on this site as well mate.

Back to the top

dany_sims said

how do i end the poll?
danny

Wish no.2 granted……………………well removed it as it was an irrelevant poll at this stage of the work, better to continue with the engine/running gear work than what colour to spray it  :wink:

Feel free to add a new poll later on, if you wish.  To add a new poll, just go to your 1st post in the thread and click the edit button, it will allow you to alter the text and also add a new poll  :wink:

Back to the top

GAMMYGOLFGTI said

dany_sims said

how do i end the poll?
danny

Wish no.2 granted……………………well removed it as it was an irrelevant poll at this stage of the work, better to continue with the engine/running gear work than what colour to spray it  :wink:

Feel free to add a new poll later on, if you wish.  To add a new poll, just go to your 1st post in the thread and click the edit button, it will allow you to alter the text and also add a new poll  :wink:

how many wishes do i get?
the final colour choice is 2k solid gloss red.
thanks for voting guys

Back to the top
bit of an update.
i have only done a little bit of work on the o/s inner wing. no rust found and then re sealed and painted over with hamerite.

was welded from the outside so it seems good penetration.

Also here is a few pictures of the doner car, i found this picture on vwfest website last night and it seems as though someone caught me offguard haha

Back to the top
the previous post has missed a few pics of but it gives the idea of the bootlid and also the mk4 doner car.

would you break the mk4 up or buy another scrap one for a doner?

Back to the top
Today me and my girlfriend Lauren decided to strip down the drivers door, then we spent an hour prepping the outer skin of the door.  A little filler needed for a couple of dents but no holes.  Below are a few pics of todays efforts.  It will cost me a curry for the help from Lauren! - Thanks

Back to the top
the mk4 looks tidy mate, check the third party links section someone posted up a 1.8T for sale for £600 !

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
i think i am going to just use the mk4 pd i have as i know its problems and also whats not a problem if you get me. its just going to be such a shame when i break it as i have put 18months had work into her as i always do everything diy and the mk4 must only owe me around £2k.
MK1 should owe me around 4k max in a couple of years. well thats the plan anyway.

Back to the top
I was gonna buy this one but I didn't have the money in time for the auction ending :D

Look forward to seeing the progress fella 8) Got a fair amount to do but it will be more than worth it when its done 8)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.