Skip navigation

2.0 ABF bottom end and 16V KR head rebuild Pic heavy

Back to the top

2.0 ABF bottom end and 16V KR head rebuild Pic heavy

Will I need a mk3 ABF belt kit with tensioner or will I need to use the mk2 KR tensioner. I just planned on swapping the stud in the head for the tensioner

Back to the top
you can use the abf or the kr tensioner, but the belt must be abf. as you say you can convert either way by swapping the stud over.

the thinner stud is for the late abf self-tensioning tensioner, the thicker stud is for early abf and kr solid tensioner

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

Engine

Thanks for your sharp responses mate. Can't believe how helpful your being.

Back to the top
not a problem :)

Back to the top

Engine

Back to the top

Engine.

Hi again.

I managed to get a timing belt that seems to fit ok, the tensioner that came with it is the same as the KR tensioner with the slightly wider stud hole through the middle. I went for the ABL kit instead of the ABL belt and KR pulley even tho they seem to be the same. I wanted to get it fitted tonight but I've lost the bloody nut for the tensioner :-(

I put a new rocker cover gasket on this morning and the D shaped bunges (blue rubber things on the rocker, see pic)that i was on about came with the rocker cover kit. I mached the ports up on the inlet manifold to the inlet ports as there was a big lip, hopefully this will smooth the airflow out a little. I noticed the gasket between the two sections of inlet manifold (round ones) where alot smaller than the actual inlet. Would it be wise to trim these out to match the inlet diameter? I've put the new spark plugs in that GSF provided but i'm worried they're the wrong type of plug. The plugs that have been removed have 3 prongs and the new ones have one. I've not looked into what temp they are yet.

I'm going to steam clean the alternator brackets, auxiliary pulleys and timing belt cover tomorrow before I fit them as it would be madness to fit greasy parts to a nice clean engine.

While I was at GSF I picked up some new injector seals and a new thermostat too. May aswell do the job right.

I even drilled the airbox a little more ;-)

Hopefully I'll have the old KR engine out in the next day or too and my nice new one in.

Back to the top
Started stripping the old one down for parts

Back to the top
ah you have a 42mm inlet gasket, you need a 50mm one. not easy to come by now! gsf i think sold them for a bit but it was deleted at vw a while ago, though worth a call to see if they're re-stocking.

abf does indeed use single prong spark plugs, it makes no difference as long as they're the correct spec, the 3 prog ones just last a bit longer is all!

8v tensioner nut will fit :)

Back to the top
oh! i would refit the knock sensors before you put the engien in if you plan to go digi later. saves cleaning the holes up! i made the same error. oh and put the metal bracket back on which holds the abf engine loom it has 3 slots to hold the crank/knock sensor plugs in palce so they wont fall down and get damaged, then just put a load of tape over the ends to keep the pins clean.

Back to the top

Engine

Good idea! Will do!

Does the timing belt tensioner turn clockwise to add tension?

Thanks?

Back to the top
i ought to watch this carefully as i may build one someday too

Back to the top

Engine

Timing belt on.

KR engine.

KR engine on it's way out.

KR engine now out.

Next job is to get the engine mount on the ABF block and all the belt covers, alt brackets and alt and the aux belt. Then i'll get my upgraded clutch, lighter fly and new box off the KR engine and swap them onto my ABF.

I'm deffo going to put the knock sensors and brackets on as I may swap to the ABF fuel system later in life.

Back to the top

Engine bay

Seems I have a bit of tidying to do before the new engine goes in. It looks like there's alot of broken wires or damaged connectors. The previous owner has siliconed the connectors and damaged wires rather than replacing things  :-s

Back to the top
good progress so far! the tensioner is correct, you'll soon know if you got it wrong when you try to fit the lower timing belt :)

Back to the top

Engine build

Engine mount, timing belt, back cover and alt bracket in place

Back to the top

Engine

Knock sensors, bracket and alt fitted

New thermostat and pipe work

Back to the top

Engine

Today I decided to buy a new sump gasket as there's alot of brackets around the sump meaning it would be difficult to remove incase of a leak. May aswel do this while the engine is still out.

I was looking on my auto data software and it suggests that 20nm is the torque setting for the sump bolts. Is this correct as they kept snapping at 20nm unless my torque wrench has packed up.

Back to the top
says 25nm for abf sump bolts in my vw abf engien manual. tbh these i wouldnt worry about torquing up just nip them up! the only bolts i bother with a torque wrench for are head bolts and clutch/fly

Back to the top

Engine

I'm gonna go and get some new bolts this weekend and fit the new sump gasket. Hopefully it won't leak that way. She should be ready to drop in and away she goes. I'm just hoping the exhaust reaches and the bonnet closes :-/

Back to the top

Engine

Hi all.

This evening i fitted a new sump gasket, timing belt cover, flywheel, clutch, gearbox, pulleys, belt and started.

Plan for tomorrow night is to drop the engine into the car.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.