Skip navigation

2.0 ABF bottom end and 16V KR head rebuild Pic heavy

Back to the top

Wiring

2.0 ABF bottom end and 16V KR head rebuild Pic heavy

How different is the 1.8 16v KR loom to the ABF loom? I.e I already have a 16v KR loom in the car now as I've just taken the KR engine out. I have the mk3 ABF loom with the engine but as I said this is from the mk3.

As you said, most of the loom left from the mk3 should be mainly for the ECU control. Would it not be possible to cut out the ECU plug and wires which I would need for the sensors, ignition and fuelling etc and shorten/make long to fit the mk1 then cut out the KR ECU part of the loom?

How long does this usually take you?

As I say, I'm going to have a good look at it this week coming so what your saying should make more sense soon. Any pics? I've been reading up on this and I think there's a thread on her which you are commenting on alot with your advice but the pics dont work and there doesn't seem to be many. How about a diagram?

Cheers.

Back to the top
oh i see sorry, im loosing track :lol:
yeah that'll be fine. if you only have standard cams though use the abf ones they're better. the basic routing of the mk2 and mk3 looms are the same, but apart from that they're very different.

converting mk2/3 to mk1 is basically the same process though just a case of laying the new loom how you need it then cut, solder and rewrap once done.

the method you describe is pretty much what I do, i leave in the wiper and coil, reverse switch, etc wires then splice in the mk3 engine wires. i also use the mk3 sensor wires since they run to the big round plug on the engine. A mk1/2 -> mk3 conversion loom will take me around 5-8 hours depending on the amount of solder/repair work I have to do, but then I've done so many its almost like a production line. though one that has to stop most of the time so I can do decorating :lol:

If you can find the thread i might be able to re-link the pictures to it, but there isnt a lot you can show with pics its all about getting the old wiring diagrams out and figuring out which wires go where! the fusebox faq on clubgti is really helpful too as it covers pre/post 90 mk2, plus mk3. In my sig see jetta89.pdf, and g3abf.pdf, plus see the faq on how to read vw wiring diagrams on here so you can try to work out the mk3 loom.

any questions you have I'm happy to help, but once you strip the mk3 loom down it will start to become easier. theres a lot of the mk3 loom that can just be binned off, then its only a few wires to splice to the fusebox

as you say, throw the engine in and run it on kr management then the conversion will only take you a couple days. find yourself another late mk1 engien loom to splice into the mk3 loom, then you can do the loom conversion at your leisure! and if you really cant do it you can send it my way and I'll sort it out next year for you :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

wiring

I think i'll be able to figure this one out.
However, your help would be appreciated if i need it ;)

I have bought a set of newman 288 camshafts for the kr head. Hopefully get a few more ponies out of her :D

Back to the top
chop chop then ;)

Back to the top

engine

I stripped the ABF engine right down to the block this evening.

I'm trying to find somewhere that sells a bearing kit and piston rings for the ABF. Any ideas. I've tried most car spares places and no joy. GSF dont do them.

The strip down begins.

I took the belts off and alt.

Then the timing belt and pulley etc

Water pump and oil cooler off

Bell housing cover and cyl head off

Piston crowns

The previous own has rounded of the sump plug.

Pile of bits

I'll get some pics of my trick bits tomorrow.
I'm going to drain the oil next, whip the sump off and internals then steam clean the hell out of the block before it gets painted and , balanced and rebuilt (if i can get the parts that is)

I've already got the full gasket kit and seals, new water pump, oil pump, timing belt kit and service parts.

Back to the top

engine

I stripped the ABF engine right down to the block this evening.

I'm trying to find somewhere that sells a bearing kit and piston rings for the ABF. Any ideas. I've tried most car spares places and no joy. GSF dont do them.

The strip down begins.

I took the belts off and alt.

Then the timing belt and pulley etc

Water pump and oil cooler off

Bell housing cover and cyl head off

Piston crowns

The previous own has rounded of the sump plug.

Pile of bits

I'll get some pics of my trick bits tomorrow.
I'm going to drain the oil next, whip the sump off and internals then steam clean the hell out of the block before it gets painted and , balanced and rebuilt (if i can get the parts that is)

I've already got the full gasket kit and seals, new water pump, oil pump, timing belt kit and service parts.

Back to the top

Ooops

Ffs, this sump plug will not budge. I decided to call it a night till I can get some nut and bolt extractors from work and POW. My engine stand hit the back of my gorgeous paint work :-(

Back to the top
if you have a bucket/container big enough you can tip the block forward to drain all the oil out the top, then remove sump and bin it. can use a std mk2 tin metal sump if you dont fancy putting another alloy one on :)

Back to the top
If you do it really carefully, you could remove the sump while keeping the oil in it....

Back to the top
Or extract it through the dipstick using a hand pump (as found on boats etc)

Back to the top
or run the intermediate shaft on a hand drill and make spray out the top of the block everywhere :lol:

Back to the top

engine rebuild

Sorted

Steam Clean

I've just called Rotherham Engine Supplies for a price on a full shell kit and some new rings. Just waiting to hear back from them.

Back to the top

Engine

Wow, £185 for the shells and rings :-( Won't be investing in
all of them at this time. Just new conrod shells.

Back to the top

Engine

First coat

Ports mached up and cleaned a bit

Back to the top

Engine rebuild

Valve stem seals changed and valves back in.

New big end bearings.

Pistons in.

Bottom end torqued up

New oil pump.

New water pump

Oil cooler, sump and head on

Newman 288 cam shafts

New hydraulic tappets

Newman cams fitted

Piper Vernier Pulley

Back to the top

Project

Just thought you might like to see what else I've been up to since I
bought the car.
Bought it like this.

So I stripped it down and put some clear cross headlights and a new lighting loom
in.

Bit of jig work ;-)

A new arch and filled.

New door and wing then resprayed in black magic.

Cleaned all of the dust off my seats

New chrome trim

Silver gti stripes stuck in place

Spax adjustable suspension fitted to all 4 corners.

Upgraded discs and green stuff pads front and rear.

Nice red grill trim thanks to Chudd. (whoops, finger got in the way)

Back to the top

golf

Since I've put on new plastic bumpers, plastic wing mirrors and the plastic wheel arches.

I fitter 5mm wheel spacers to the front and 7mm to the rear.

I have a power roar pipe and some 80mm lowering springs. It has already been lowered 60mm but not sure how low to go before the arches need rolling and it becomes mega uncomfortable.?

Back to the top

Timing belt.

Just had a thought. if the ABF engine is a taller block won't the timing belt be longer than the KR belt? GSF say theyre the same. I've looked and I'm not convinced. I need to take it back anyway as the tensioner pulley is smashed to bits :-(

Back to the top
I also noticed the little rubber bungs for the rocker cover are missing out of the top end gasket kit :-(

Back to the top
the timing belt is longer on the abf, so tell gsf to stop talkin shite. by the bungs, do you mean the ones that pop into the holes where the nuts are? if not they arnt supposed to be in the kit. only there to stop crud getting on the nuts, you'll have to get some from the scrappy!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.