Skip navigation

2.0 ABF bottom end and 16V KR head rebuild Pic heavy

Back to the top

2.0 ABF bottom end and 16V KR head rebuild Pic heavy

The gearbox I'm using is an original 1.8 8v gti box which I've had reconned recently. I'm sure the code is 02a.

Back to the top
no it'll be an 020. 02a is cable shift :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

ya but 02a flywheel cant be used with 020 gerarbox. if you want 02a gearbox you have no choice but to use an 02a flywheel. so as i say, its not a weight choice, its becasue you have to match it to the box!

Not in my case as I had the two different gearboxes, the one from the KR and the one from the 9A, in my case it was a weight choice   :)

Back to the top

Grond said

rubjonny said

ya but 02a flywheel cant be used with 020 gerarbox. if you want 02a gearbox you have no choice but to use an 02a flywheel. so as i say, its not a weight choice, its becasue you have to match it to the box!

Not in my case as I had the two different gearboxes, the one from the KR and the one from the 9A, in my case it was a weight choice   :)

Yes but did you choose the flywheel you fancied, based on its weight, then that dictated which gearbox you'd use, or the other way round? Its worth mentioning that the 020 box is about half as heavy as an 02A box anyway, and you don't have all the hassles with adapting a hydraulic clutch and cable change linkage. But an 02A box is likely to be newer and better condition, and doesn't possess a couple of design weaknesses that the 020 has.

Back to the top

paul_c said

Grond said

rubjonny said

Yes but did you choose the flywheel you fancied, based on its weight, then that dictated which gearbox you'd use, or the other way round? Its worth mentioning that the 020 box is about half as heavy as an 02A box anyway, and you don't have all the hassles with adapting a hydraulic clutch and cable change linkage. But an 02A box is likely to be newer and better condition, and doesn't possess a couple of design weaknesses that the 020 has.

Honestly chose the lighter flywheel as this is critical to have a "happy" engine, the 9A is too heavy for any performance car with 140HP, now if you have 250HP you'd better go for the heavy one.
The hydraulic system is not so difficult to swap, there are already some pieces designed for it on ebay…

Back to the top

Flywheel

Sorry typo. Mine is 020 and has all new modified syncro hubs and modified diff bolts. It's a great box with no crunches. It was only done a couple of months ago. I am just using the same flywheel from my 1.8 8v and 16v engine, this has been lightened and balanced already.

Back to the top

Parts

Does anyone know the best place to get new engine bearings and piston rings for
The ABF lump?
GSF don't do them and the dealer charges the earth.
Thanks

Back to the top
What chip did u use on your ABF?

Back to the top
I've been towing with the idea of using the ABF inlet manifold on the KR head so that I can use the electric injection, ABF ECU and loom.

What is your opinion?

Back to the top
thats what i would do, though you will need to buy/make an ecu loom for it. i can help you or make it for you, though im not goign to haver the time till next year as i have 11 already booked in :lol:

Back to the top

Loom ECU

So what's wrong with the ABF ECU and loom that I got with the engine? There is a chip available for the ABL ECU it is reasonably priced and gains great results. It did say 171bhp 210nm torque increase which I think is a little but extreme for a superchip.

Back to the top
its for a mk3 is all, so the routing and lengths are wrong for a mk1 plus tyhe fusebox is different.

yeah ignore any figures stated by the seller, usually the very best case scenario and 'special' rollers that lie.

my own abf got +6 bhp and +5 torques with a chip, dyno proven back to back

Back to the top

Loom

Well that was an obvious answer and I didn't even think about that haha.

I've just got some bits together from GSF today and they have sent me a ABF head gasket/top end kit. I wanted a KR top end kit and a separate ABF head gasket kit or is the abf stem seals, exhaust gasket and inlet gasket etc the same as the KR .

Don't worry, I'm nearly at the build thread stage ;-)

I could do with one of these looms matey. Could you pm me some details? I could do with getting it done ASAP as it's stored in my parents garage and I need to get it out of his way before Xmas ;-)

Back to the top
most of the bits are the same, except the upper inlet gasket and the rocker cover gaskets, you'll see what i mean anyway.

with the loom xmas isnt going to be doable i have 13 looms in now :(

as i say though if you need it quicksmart i can take you through it all :)

Back to the top

Wiring loom

That would be absolutely fantastic if you could guide me in the right direction matey. I'll be getting stuck into it as of next week as I've got a few days off work.

I've had a read on other threads about this and it does seem a little bit more than I can chew but I'm up for a challenge.

I trust it's just a case of extending the leng of the wires and figuring out which pin on the fuse box is to which pin on the mk3 loom plug then cutting the mk3 plug off and replace the mk2 plug.

Is the mk1 fuel pump ok for the ABF fuel pressure.

I don't have an airbox or air pipe so is their an airflow meter that I'll need?

It may be easier just to use the mk2 KR fuelling until you have time to make a loom up?

Back to the top
you might find you have to shrten it more than extend! the 1st step is to strip the mk3 and mk1 looms down then remove all trhe non-engine bits from the abf loom, and bin the engine bits off the mk1 loom. then start to lay the 2 looms together till you have the abf engine plug where you want it. then when you're happy start soldering bits together.  luckily there arnt a great deal of wires to solder as most of the ab=f wiring goes between the engine and the ecu, not so many to the fusebox.

finally i splice mk1/2 TCI & coil wiring to the abf ecu so the mk3 coil can be binned as its so unreliable. plus the rev counter will work without any fuss too.

you will need a mk3 inlet pipe plus an aftermarket cone filter, try to get an abf specific one so it has a hole for the inlet temp sensor.

kjet main pump is fine for the abf, but you can bin the accumulator. i would convert the k-jet pump to take push fit fuel lines, you can buy barbed adaptor off ebay for £5, you want an m12x1.5 fitting.

even if you go kr you will still need to make a loom for it, though it is a bit easier than doing an abf one.

Back to the top

ABF - kr

Thanks for that. Seems pretty daunting but when I get going I guess it will all make sense.

The engine that I have removed is a 1.8 16v KR.

It might be easier for me to just swap the bottom ends over and use the original fuel system and KR head.?

Is there a big difference in power between these two engines?

Back to the top
I.e ABF bottom end and KR head vs ABF complete engine.

Back to the top
if you decide to do that just use the complete abf lump, all the kr stuff will fit the abf head :)

Back to the top
I would but it's just taken me about a month to port the head and I can't be bothered to do it all again :-(
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.