Skip navigation

My new ride...... 16500 original miles.... a lucky find....

Back to the top

My new ride...... 16500 original miles.... a lucky find....

that car is amazing best wishes for it ,

Back to the top
I love it when old cars in original, non restored states like this turn up. Very jealous!!!!  :lol:

Back to the top
Cheers guys, appreciate the comments.

I guess most people prefer 3 doors but I'm not overly bothered. Maybe I should claim 5 doors are rarer?  :wink:

Back to the top
I prefer the lower spec, non GTI models because there are less of them about. At the time they didn't have the same appeal as the GTI and as such probably got scrapped more.

Nice to see a preserved example like that pop up.

What's the full story behind it???

Back to the top

Dano said

I prefer the lower spec, non GTI models because there are less of them about. At the time they didn't have the same appeal as the GTI and as such probably got scrapped more.

Nice to see a preserved example like that pop up.

What's the full story behind it???

Ok, well the car was purchased by a nice fella from Surrey back in October 1976. Judging by the service book, he used it a fair bit for the first few years and he told me it once took a trip down to Cornwall this being it's longest journey.
He seems to have a bit of a thing for German cars as he had 3 nice Merc's and these must of been his pride and joy as the Golf sat right at the back of the garage. He told me it came out for the occasional trip around the estate just to keep it ticking over but in the last 20 years or so it certainly didn't do many miles.
Apparently the big plan was to pass the car down to his daughter on her 18th but when the big day came she wasn't interested in old cars and they bought her a new mini instead. Oh well, her loss is my gain I guess?  :wink:
A nice footnote to the story is that the guy clearly has a nice lifestyle living in a lovely gated comunity in leafy suburban Surrey. He obviosly loved the Golf though and the condition is clearly a result of that. When it came to letting it go, he'd been advised that the condition warranted a reasonable sum but he decided in the end to sell it for the same as what he'd originally paid for it, all those 35 years ago  :)

Back to the top
Stunning  8O ! I hope you preserve it and plan to keep it a long time.

What did you make of GTI Fest? I think this would go down really well at Stanford Hall/Tatton Park VW show.  :D

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
Wow! :o amazing 8) For a mk1 as perfect as this you can't really expect a 'bargain'.  The fact you found one in this condition at all should be considered a bargain in itself! :D

Did I see this at GTI Festival on the weekend?

Back to the top

GavB95 said

Stunning  8O ! I hope you preserve it and plan to keep it a long time.

What did you make of GTI Fest? I think this would go down really well at Stanford Hall/Tatton Park VW show.  :D

GTi Fest was cool thanks. It wasn't quite as big as I was expecting as I'm used to massive aircooled shows. There were some top cars there though.

Back to the top

Phataz1 said

Wow! :o amazing 8) For a mk1 as perfect as this you can't really expect a 'bargain'.  The fact you found one in this condition at all should be considered a bargain in itself! :D

Did I see this at GTI Festival on the weekend?

Yes, I took it along to the Pod on Sunday.

It is quite amazing really. Friends like to stick their heads in it as it even smells old inside  :lol:

Back to the top
Could be a future NEC Classis Car Show club stand contender for next year if you're interested in showing it??

Back to the top

Dano said

Could be a future NEC Classis Car Show club stand contender for next year if you're interested in showing it??

I'd be flattered mate  :)

Back to the top
what a gem! well done on a great find and enjoy it, look forward to seeing this beaty in the flesh !

Rich

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
i had a look round this at santa pod at the weekend, lovely motor... total timewarp car..

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top
oooo yeah!!!!……….that`s fantastic car :)

Remember, VW made the last car in 1992. After that they started making vehicles.

Back to the top
Stunning golf 8)  I used to own a 1989 zxr750H1 aswell :lol:  red/grey/black tho'

Back to the top
WOW.

I'd be scared to put any miles on it!

Here's to another 35 years!

Currently:

2003 Audi S3 (BAM) - Custom-Code Phase 1, Pipercross panel, Autobahn88 TIP, Forge 007p, Bilstein B8s & H&R springs, Brembo Max Grooved discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads and much more…FOR SALE!

1975 MG Midget 1500 - Stage Two+

Back to the top
that is just amazing

Back to the top

brad_mole said

that is just amazing

Thanks mate.

It's the kinda car you wouldn't really notice, especially amongst some of the cool custom cars on fat rims etc, but it has had an extraordinarily easy life ;oD

Back to the top

vw-man said

oooo yeah!!!!……….that`s fantastic car :)

Many thanks for the kind words  :)

Back to the top

JS1500 said

WOW.

I'd be scared to put any miles on it!

Here's to another 35 years!

Thankyou  :)

It is a dimlemma  :wink:  I really love cruising around in it and being immersed in it's 70's-ness , but at the same time I'm aware that heavy useage will devalue it??? I reckon it'll be just for best hey mate?  :)  Fortunately I have a custom split screen and a 'daily' Fox so I don't have to abuse the Golf  :)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.