Skip navigation

original mk1 gtd info

Back to the top

original mk1 gtd info

mk1jim said

Engine bay pic will be a big help if I ever decide to go ahead …….yep the steering wheel would be a nice finishing touch ..

Here is a bay pic of my car…
Not the best looking…

3 1975 Swallowtail rabbits

1 1977 Rabbit Diesel 58,9xx og miles

1 1979 Rabbit Turbo Diesel

Back to the top
I thought you could use the the mk2 offside mount but you needed to change the gearbox mounts to mk1 ,  also would the mk1 gearbox bolt straight up to the mk2 block/ clutch ?   I guess all the parts needed are there already , just a case of mix n match ?

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
The cast part on the trans is the same. Have to change the mounting bracket.
Gearbox will bolt up and work fine.

3 1975 Swallowtail rabbits

1 1977 Rabbit Diesel 58,9xx og miles

1 1979 Rabbit Turbo Diesel

Back to the top
Whats the plan then Jim :wink:

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
:dontknow:  heart says don't pull apart two good golfs , mind says put the gtd into the mk1 , will make a fantastic car ,  but bank says no to running 3 cars …….sell 1 ?

Back to the top
Man dont pull aprt 2 good Golfs

later in life you might regret it  :banghead:

Bank balance is a issue these days hopefully temporary.

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Yes but who would I sell a very solid, original diesel to ? ;-)

Back to the top

Even rarer  :D

Back to the top

mk1jim said

Yes but who would I sell a very solid, original diesel to ? ;-)

Correct

It could be me :wink: … would love to but :mrgreen: … Finance at present need sorting…. Couple of months hopefully….. :banghead:

Your bay looks clean Baller

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
sorry to bring this topic back up  :D  I just "love" mk1 GTD's; In fact i run one daily.
they were only produced between '82 and '83 (9 months!). Mines from december 1982.

engine code CY (70cv), gearbox is a FF(5 speed)
they came fitted with a few "gtd" things (very similar to the GTI) and then some options were possible.
the GTD things: 4 branch steering wheel with a "turbo diesel insert, 5 speed "golf ball" knob, GTD badge on front grill, "Golf GTD" badge on the back, all trim was black as in no chrome, specific seat cloth (choice of 2 styles) but on standard golf seats, 2 or 4 door cars, door pockets with speaker holders, cab dash. Black side line strips (the big ones like the cab but with black insert and not chrome), thick black floor mat, black door cards with the GTI arm rests, wheel arches covered by the GTI plastics, GTI windscreen side strips (name?) GTI side graphic strips. Engine wise, the diesel filter is behind the engine, specific airbox, very thought after exhaut downpipe (from the turbo) (enables a good fitting around the 5 speed gearbox linkages).
options were: 4 headlights and grill, aloy wheels (most came with the tarantulas), possibly the GTI dash console, sunroof.

14D & 17CY

Back to the top
Good bit of info there., would love to have a turbo diesel steering wheel centre .. I can't see the pics ,

Back to the top
Thanks or the info buddy

where are you located. I assume your car is a LHD car.

:dontknow:

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
LHD  :D  don't believe there ever was a RHD (at least officially), located in France but brit all th way through :lol:

can't seem to get the pictures to come on. I'll try a different way but they're on my other computer so a little patience

14D & 17CY
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.