Skip navigation

4 to 5 speed conversion

Back to the top

4 to 5 speed conversion

ok i've got a mk2 golf 1.8 gl engine and gear box ready to go in my mk1.
My question is do i have to change the drive shafts from 90mm to 100mm shafts? :dontknow:
cheers Darren.

1983 mk1 golf gti campaign

1988 mk1 caddy 1.8

1988 mk1 caddy 1.6

1991 mk2 golf gti

1996 mk3 golf gti

Back to the top
The simple answer to that is no.I would just change the flanges over on the gearbox and then you can keep the original shafts.The smaller joints are more than adaquate to do the job :D

Back to the top
The gearbox that's we took out is a 4 speed of a 1.6 diesel mk1 engine, so does your answer still apply baller? Cheers Darren.

1988 mk1 caddy 1.8

1988 mk1 caddy 1.6

1991 mk2 golf gti

1996 mk3 golf gti

Back to the top
depends on your engine! if its a pre-90- mk2 then the flanges will be 90mm and so you're sorted. if post-90 then they're 100mm so you either need to change the shafts for later cabby/rocco 1.8 100mm ones, or swap the flanges for 90mm ones. you'll need to find a later gearbox to get them from though as your old 4 speed ones wont work

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Cool it's out of 1988 mk2 golf gl so excellent news guys, thanks for replying :D

1988 mk1 caddy 1.8

1988 mk1 caddy 1.6

1991 mk2 golf gti

1996 mk3 golf gti

Back to the top
measure the flanges just to be sure, theres no telling what box the mk2 might have as they like to blow up :lol:

Back to the top
How would I go about converting to a 5 speed? how would i know which is the right gearbox to get, or will i need to get a new engine too?

Back to the top
what engine do you have now

Back to the top

rubjonny said

what engine do you have now

i believe it to be a 1.5 from a gl. any more information needed?

Back to the top
any 1.5-2.0 8v mk1/2/3 or 1.8 16v mk2 5 speed box will fit, linkage wise you need all the bits from a 1.5-1.8 mk1/cabby.

just the flange issue to worry about then, your car has 90mm shafts so ideally get a 5 speed box with 90mm flanges to maek your life easier. or swap flanges, or swap shafts as above.

only 1.5-1.8 8v gearboxes will swap on with your existing clutch, mk3 2.0 8v and mk2 1.8 16v require a mk2 16v clutch kit. if you go for a new clutch either keep your old flywheel and fit 1.5 clutch, or find a 210mm flywheel from 1.8 mk1/2 and fit a gti 1.8 8v 210mm clutch kit

HTH

Back to the top

rubjonny said

measure the flanges just to be sure, theres no telling what box the mk2 might have as they like to blow up :lol:

Measured them today and there the same size as the 4 speed one's luckily :D
Another question mate is do I just bolt on the rear mount (square bush) on the 5 speed box as it was on the 4 speed? And then cut off the the ally mk2 mount which is surples or unbolt it and bolt on a mk1 gear mech? Hope that makes sence :dontknow:
Cheers Darren.

1988 mk1 caddy 1.8

1988 mk1 caddy 1.6

1991 mk2 golf gti

1996 mk3 golf gti

Back to the top
the ally mount just unbolts, so no need to cut anything ;)

the bottom square mount is the same on the 4 speed, but you will need a 5 speed MK1 upper box mount though :)

Back to the top
Ok, I've unbolted the ally mount and fitted the new 5speed mount(rh side) and the lower mount off the 4speed, and have now fitted the smaller bracket/mechanism of the 4speed box where the mk2 bracket/mech ally mount was, Is this the correct thing to do rubjonny? It looks right but need to know your opinion on this before we fit the motor back in hopefully tomorrow night. Thanks in advance Darren.

1988 mk1 caddy 1.8

1988 mk1 caddy 1.6

1991 mk2 golf gti

1996 mk3 golf gti

Back to the top
yep you're getting there, some of the linkages in the bay differ as well though! the rods and the relay lever on the end of the shft need changing, plus iirc the box under the gearstick might need modifying so it lets you move to 5th?

Back to the top
A complete mk1 5 speed set up came in the post yesterday, from gear lever - linkages so i think ive covered everything now mate  8) gonna get involved tonight.
Cheers for all your reply rub, you've been a great help :D

1988 mk1 caddy 1.8

1988 mk1 caddy 1.6

1991 mk2 golf gti

1996 mk3 golf gti

Back to the top
Hi, got the gear selector etc fitted tonight, then went on to fit the motor and gear box back in and found that the rear gear box mount would not line up with the gear box,we decided to fit that part last as it gave us more room to manoeuvre, rubjonny,it looks like I need a mk1 cab 5 speed rear mount.Is this correct mate? I'm guessing the mount I have of a 4 speed diesel box is different to a petrol one  :dontknow: Anyway I'm getting there slowly :D

1988 mk1 caddy 1.8

1988 mk1 caddy 1.6

1991 mk2 golf gti

1996 mk3 golf gti

Back to the top
according to etka the brackets are the same 4-5 speed! diesel mounts are actually what you want as stronger, but they're the same shape as petrol.

can you take pictures of where you're at now?

Back to the top
Brilliant, cheers for checking 8) I bolted the mount one bolt hole to high I think because I bolted the top of the mount through the hole where the gear bracket goes and it should be one down,hence why it doesn't line up( does that sound like the problem here mate?) it was the last job we did last night and it was closing in on the midnight hour :? I did notice on the 4 speed box it had studs so will it be strong enough just nut and bolts to secure?
Cheers Darren.

1988 mk1 caddy 1.8

1988 mk1 caddy 1.6

1991 mk2 golf gti

1996 mk3 golf gti

Back to the top
ah could be, bolt the mount to the car and see what lines up then :)

yeah bolts will be fine, just make sure they dont bottom out before getting tight is all

Back to the top
God i wish i had a car ramp :?  i'm back down my shed thursday so will crack on with it again then.I had a quick look in day light yesterday and it looks like the top hole is threaded so i guess the others are,(hope) cheers for your help so far mate 8) Progress report soon.

1988 mk1 caddy 1.8

1988 mk1 caddy 1.6

1991 mk2 golf gti

1996 mk3 golf gti
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.