Skip navigation

Help please - Good camera £200 or there abouts

Back to the top

Help please - Good camera £200 or there abouts

Hiya,

Can anyone recommend a good camera for around £200?  We need good quality pics, video would be a bonus but not essential.  It's for photo's of our wedding, events, car shows etc so good, clear pics are essential…

anyone who knows theor stuff and can help at all we would really appreciate it….

Back to the top
Compact or dslr?

Back to the top
I'd seriously recommend saving up slightly more and getting a DSLR, or finding a second hand one at that price.  They'll seem daunting but just stick it on an auto mode n it's exactly the same.  The quality difference is huge, plus you allow yourself to 'expand' in the future with filters and different lenses as your photography advances.  If you get a little compact and start taking photos and loving it you'll regret it ;)  But if that is 100% the route you want to go I always swore by the Canon Ixus range.

Back to the top

Raul said

Compact or dslr?

I don't bud lol  :redfaced:  :mrgreen: …. I'm not going to be a photographer and change lenses etc but I'm also not too fussed how it looks… good zoom, good clarity and definition….  :dontknow: …. I know it's probably like blood out of a stone but can answer more questions if it helps to advise me  :dontknow:

Back to the top
Something like this…http://www.mpbphotogra…cameras/canon-eos-450d-9/
and then you'd need to buy a lens which you can get what's called the kit lens (cheap n cheerful…but more than does the job) or 18-55mm (I think it is) for about £70 secondhand

Back to the top
i've had a pansonic TZ-5 for years and it is a brilliant camera, so easy to use and the interlligent auto mean just point and shoot

little bit more that your budget tho mate, but worth it imo

Not found - Jessops

i've now moved on the a dslr but still use this when i can be arse to take my dslr out

Banner

Back to the top
So the DSLR camera seems the best… what would you recommend for around £300 then?

Back to the top
or mate a slightly older model

Not found - Jessops

still good and it have HD movies :)

Banner

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

So the DSLR camera seems the best… what would you recommend for around £300 then?

DSLR are the best but in all honest for £300 gets you nothing really. unless you want to take it really serious and get other lenses and other bits like filter it's not worth it mate

a good compact will deliver the same results

Banner

Back to the top
Well if you want something small and compact I'd get the Canon Ixus…something like the Ixus 220 HS.  They're really well built as my old one used to get dropped all the time and be fine.  
If you want something a bit more substantial (but I would suggest if you aren't looking to go too advanced you will notice little difference) then go Canon Powershot SX130.  I think the zoom will be bigger which may be a factor to you.  Other than that it pretty much depends on what you want it to look like in your hands :)

Back to the top
Generally though if you spend £200 these days you won't be disappointed.  I'd just always go for a recognised camera manufacturer…or sony!lol.

Back to the top
If you just want a point and shoot then DONT buy a dslr.

Its just going to be a waste of money.

The whole idea of a dslr is to run it manually to achieve the best picture.

If you just want to point and shoot then buy a good compact digital camera.

You could spend say £300+ on a dslr, use it as a point and shoot and only achieve the same result as using a compact digital camera.

Back to the top

BigNormRivage said

You could spend say £300+ on a dslr, use it as a point and shoot and only achieve the same result as using a compact digital camera.

Bet you wouldn't ;)  You will generally get things like a far shallower depth of field  (blurred background in layman's terms) on a DSLR, even using it as a point and shoot.  I'd also hasten to bet that it'd handle low light better too.  And a really shallow & sad thing to consider…if you have a DSLR and someone else is also taking a pic with a compact camera…I can bet which lens the subject will be looking into  :lol:

Back to the top
The whole idea of a DSLR is 2 things: 1. the image you see in the viewfinder, is the exact same image as the one which will be taken - no parralax error. 2. lenses are changeable (I'm aware there's some SLRs out there with fixed lenses, but most have changeable ones).

Any DECENT digital camera should offer a manual mode, frustratingly many don't. Manual mode is handy for a number of situations, not just the technical stuff, but eg taking pictures into the sun, taking pictures in dark or fast moving action shots, etc etc but obviously you'll need a little more time to compose the shot than auto mode.

Apart from the above vague advice, can't really offer a specific recommendation. I have a Sony, but its about 10 years old now (and still working fine and can outshoot many newer cameras).

Back to the top

paul_c said

Apart from the above vague advice, can't really offer a specific recommendation. I have a Sony, but its about 10 years old now (and still working fine and can outshoot many newer cameras).

Bit insulted there in all honesty Paul

EDIT!!

SORRY PAUL!!!l  I read that as the advice we'd all given was vague!!!  No longer insulted :banghead: lol

Back to the top

geejah said

BigNormRivage said

Bet you wouldn't ;)  You will generally get things like a far shallower depth of field  (blurred background in layman's terms) on a DSLR, even using it as a point and shoot.  I'd also hasten to bet that it'd handle low light better too.  And a really shallow & sad thing to consider…if you have a DSLR and someone else is also taking a pic with a compact camera…I can bet which lens the subject will be looking into  :lol:

Yeah but to benifit from changing the depth of field the camera needs to be taken out of auto mode so you can change the apeture and shutter speed.

Where as if its in auto the camera doesnt know if you want a smaller or greater depth of field

Back to the top
Ignore the price as they are both £250 on another site but what about one of these two (comparison)

Camera Comparison

Back to the top

geejah said

paul_c said

Bit insulted there in all honesty Paul

EDIT!!

SORRY PAUL!!!l  I read that as the advice we'd all given was vague!!!  No longer insulted :banghead: lol

No, just my advice is vague because I've not bought a camera for a LONG time! Not needed to!!!! I spent £1000 on a camera 10 years ago and its still working nicely etc. Just could do with a bigger memory card now.

Back to the top
Out of them 2 spud I like the one on the left

Back to the top
TZ20 mate

small, compact does most this the bigger one can but fits in your pocket

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.