Skip navigation

lowered suspension

Back to the top

lowered suspension

Does anyone know anything about caravan rubbers? Iv never heard of them before ? Apparently they will stop the banging?

Back to the top
I think they are a rubber insert that can be slipped in between coils.

Dunno if they will stop banging. Bangs are usually caused by something hitting something it shouldn't

I would say that these will cure a symptom rather than the cause. What suspension are you actually running?

Projekt Frustration :

White 1991 Clipper. Lowered over polished zender rims, Single 40 dellorto on lynx manifold, kent cam, full stainless 'zorst / manifold, powerflex bushed and braced. Not the fastest car, but sounds super nice!

Still going after 12 years… never said it was a quick fix! Time is not my friend.

Back to the top
Everything is completely standard exept the 40 mm spaxx springs, could it be something to do with the triangulation ? Now that it's running 40mm lower?

Back to the top
I would have thought that if you use lowered spax springs, then you would need the shocks to match

Back to the top
Just got my golf back after having coilovers fitted. The difference is unbelievable. Very pleased!

Back to the top

adroy said

I would have thought that if you use lowered spax springs, then you would need the shocks to match

Normally anything up to 40mm is fine on standard shocks.

Back to the top
Think I'm going to give these rubber spring assistors I try, for 10 quid why not, does anyone know where I can get the correct ones? Because they would have to fit non standard springs?

Back to the top
Also how do u get a picture up like you guys?

Back to the top

Harvard said

Think I'm going to give these rubber spring assistors I try, for 10 quid why not, does anyone know where I can get the correct ones? Because they would have to fit non standard springs?

Are these the things designed to fit caravan suspension, or for the tow car towing a caravan? If they're caravan ones, I'd imagine they won't fit a Mk1 Golf because its suspension is a significantly different design. If you're hitting the bump stops harshly, then the car is underdamped, and needs firmer dampers. I believe Fiat Panda (slightly shorter) ones are able to be used or adapted for the front. Coilovers get around this problem because they replace the whole strut, bump stop and all etc.

Back to the top
They are meant to go on the car, and they make them to measure if you ask, iv looked into it.
Where would I get these dampers from?
Roughfly how much are the coilovers?
Sorry to ask so many questions
Jake

Back to the top
The way I'd approach it is to do a search around and look at others' recommendations on good dampers, then go to eBay and a number of tuning/accessory parts places to compare prices, and select either the cheapest, or the one who you seem happiest with (maybe they have a branch close by, etc).

Its a similar situation for coilovers. Too many people simply buy on price, and off eBay, and are disappointed though. So do some researching and read reviews, to make sure you are happy.

Coilovers are anything from £150 to £1000+, its very much a case of "you get what you pay for". I can't recommend any particular brand except the ones on my car, which have performed very well over the past 3-4 years - Weitec.

Back to the top
Weitec coilovers are fantastic.

Made by KW who are one of the best out there.

Back to the top
Hi, i wouldn't recommend cheap coilovers. They are dangerously stiff and the ride is shocking. They are only any good for a nice smooth track.

I'm having some problems with my new golf. It has been lowered by the previous owner but i'm not sure how much it's been lowered by. I had it on the ramps at work the other day and i could push the suspension right up to compress it and i could push the spring up and down and twist it around.

I've replaced them with some other shocks and used the same springs to keep the same ride hight but on driving it doesn't feel safe. It feels just like a boat and the car starts to go out of control. I can still push the shocks up with no effort and the springs are loose.

I have just order a shorter Apex shock absorber kit as i fear the springs on it are too short for the shocks previously fitted. I'm hoping this will sort the handling issue and make the ride much better. I'll let you know what the quality is like when i fit them,

Back to the top
Bodged comes to mind…. Have you got lowered springs or cut springs??

I think you are being overdramatic on your opinion of "cheap" coils.

Most people have problems with coil overs when the are wound down and then try to compare the ride to unlowerd golf. Low running and great comfort dont exist unless your hve a 2k airbag set!!

Projekt Frustration :

White 1991 Clipper. Lowered over polished zender rims, Single 40 dellorto on lynx manifold, kent cam, full stainless 'zorst / manifold, powerflex bushed and braced. Not the fastest car, but sounds super nice!

Still going after 12 years… never said it was a quick fix! Time is not my friend.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.