Skip navigation

1983 5 door 1.1 formel E resto and engine swap!

Back to the top

1983 5 door 1.1 formel E resto and engine swap!

pictures didnt work for some reason, try now

Back to the top
well ive just got back from the third 12 hour day on it and its finally all painted!!!!! im absolutely destroyed but am definately pleased with the way it turned out. but seriously thats it, never agin lol

Anyways there some pics here, need to get it put back together as a 1.1 and tested in next two week as ive got to drive down to snetterton in it a week on friday! should be fun with 1.1 powers

now time for ten of these before i call it a night then back to work tomorow

mat

Back to the top
managed to knock off work a couple hour early tonight so got on with it for a bit. managed to get quite a bit done inbetween rescuing my g/f from a spider lol. also got a couple of mates to help with refitiing the heavy bits as not to damage the paint  :smiley:
anyhows heres how it now stands

all coming back together nicely only thing is non of my back lights work which is odd??

anyways thoughts welcomed

mat

Back to the top
Mate you're unbelievably fast at working! :P
Look absolutely divine!

Jack.

1983 Driver.

Back to the top
Awesome!

Back to the top
thanks, im wanting to get this on the road asap, likewise i like stuff to be right so its hard to be quick and quality

well since this is turning out to be one of the fastest turn arounds ever thought i best get a few hours in again today :grin:. Got all the glass in all 4 doors, all handles on and workin, indicators custom fitted in front bumper holes and finished slipping the grill on (this will be replaced with a badgeless) also slipped mirrors on.

windscreen place is coming tomorrow to fit a new screen and also to refit back window, then its nearly ready to get tested (assuming i get the back lights working)

also test fitted the 15x8 alloys that will be going on for time bein

also sold the front end off the mk4 so thats some money back in pot

mat

Back to the top
what you doing with the old wheels?

golf mk1 driver project

non sunroof

Back to the top
old wheels are scrap mate there square

Back to the top
well since this hasnt been updated in a day or two i ought to get it updated and stop being lazy lol

Managed to get an hour yesterday but that was all  got new wheels on along with the arch trims, also figured out why back lights weren't working (stupid dodgy earth)

Windscreen place also came and fitted new screen matand refitted back one. Just need to put wipers on then it's ready to test!!

mat

Back to the top
well heres an update ive been waiting for, managed to get a few hour in after finishing uni and before starting work so thought i know il work on the golf lol  

managed to get the last few finishing bits on to make it legal, so got it mot'd…. And it PASSED!!! only advisory was pitted front discs and as there destined for the bin it doesnt matter

first impressions are its slow, like i need to get the 20v in now slow lol. but seriously drives lovely, definately needs beeting with the low stick now tho. Also ignore the front number plate, i just stuck it there to get it tested as it will be going on the front splitter but i need to do a bracket first. Needs a good polish and the interior putting back in (im on the lookout for a full mk1 gti interior if you have one). Oh and the alternator died just for laugh on way home

anyways here it is now, thoughts welcomed as ever
mat

and as it stood three weeks ago

Back to the top
Drove past this on saturday on my way to the parkway , Great turn around mate  :clap:

Back to the top
cheers mate, makes it seem worth it now seeing it looking like it does

mat

Back to the top
well few more finishing off bits done but since im working 2 jobs and in my final year at uni ive literally got no time at the minute :( but hey ho who needs sleep

Got some more interior bits back in, got the black strip on down the sides and stuck the gti splitter back on. Also refitted the pressed plate on the old bracket (this will be getting replaced)

Had some MAJOR grief with alternators, mine packed up so went all way to other side of penistone for one, this was wrog as it had terminals not a multiplug, so went to lincoln and bought one with the correct multiplug only to realise when i got back it had different mounting points!!! So split both alternators made a frankenstienanator and now all is well and were charging properly lol

Also sourced some BIG brakes so just waiting for these to come

Pics as it stands at minute

mat

Back to the top
i did a quick search on "alternator repairs in Sheffield" there's loads of places near you that could of refurbed yours mate. DOH………lol

Back to the top
I didn't want to spend much on a refurbed one as the engine will be coming out ASAP, I just needed the car to drive down to snetterton in this Friday. I probably ended up spending more on petrol than I could have bought a new one for lol.

Mat

Back to the top
well this hasnt had an update in a week or two and im ashamed lol  :(

since starting back at uni and doing the last race of the season on the race bike ive had the some total of zero time (and money for that matter) plus still working two jobs to keep a roof over my head so the mk1 has been neglected

So finally got an hour and got most of the interior back in, sorted out a few niggly jobs and realised from driving it just how desperately i need the 20vt in it (hoping to take the engine out of the mk4 tuesday).

Also got hold of my new big brakes, adaptor mounts and braided hoses, just need to get some 280mm discs then these can go on

Also managed to give it a bit of a polish although didnt get it all done as im going back to work now

mat

Back to the top
Blimey, what a cracking turn around on this, fair play, looking great :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
well this is overdue an update, since ive literally got no time at minute. had to go and drop my bike engine off at the builders aswell (thats not gonna be cheap)

got a day on it friday and since i may be moving house thought i best crack on and get rid of the mk4, so had to get engine out first and what a ball ache that turned out to be

need to know what other bits i may need  before it goes tho?? ive got engine box wiring clocks ignition and gear shift out but what else might i need?

thanks

mat

Back to the top
well heres a long over due update, to the doubters who thought id got rid, no its still sat here lol.

wasnt doing anything with it so half heartadly advertised it, had a bit of interest but didnt really want to sell it. Finally made the decision to pay someone to fit the engine as i literally have zero time at the minute, then atleast i could either enjoy it or flog it finished.

me and a couple mates whipped the old 1.1 out thursday night at midnight when i finished work, to reveal 30 years of grime. i managed to get an hour or two on friday inbeteween finshing one job and starting another so set too with the degreaser and a brush. needless to say it looks loads better (still wont win me many "scene points") but atleast its nicer to work on. also ripped all the interior out to make wiring it easier, carpets seats dash the lot

monday its going into the garage for the swap doing, im expecting it to take about a month as there doing it around other jobs.Also got a few trick bits on way so watch this space

plan is to have around the 230-240bhp mark when its done so in 800kg it should be ok.

mat

Back to the top
well my front mount turned up yesterday morning and the cars gone into the garage for the swap doing, so watch this space. just need a fuel pump solution and im away

boost anyone

mat
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.