Skip navigation

COTM-why always tintop winners?

Back to the top

COTM-why always tintop winners?

how did i know this topic would end up in a 'whats a real mk1' debate.
but yeah, more people like the look of a tintop, which is why more people vote on them, resulting in them winning more

Back to the top
I think this thread was created to get some backs up.

It's only ever the floppy owners that get all limp wristed over this age old debate anyway.  :mrgreen:

THE BEST CAR WON.

Back to the top

Raul said

I think this thread was created to get some backs up.

It's only ever the floppy owners that get all limp wristed over this age old debate anyway.  :mrgreen:

THE BEST CAR WON.

You are wrong, I never created it to get backs up, I wanted a discussion on why they tend to win as I do not know the reasons why as I am not in the inner sanctum of the Vw world, I just got my car so I could take my wife and 2 kids out when the sun is shining in a head turning ,great driving 4 seat converible that I could also learn to do basic mechanics on.
There was no reason to get a tintop as I have 2  tintop cars at home for daily driving and wanted something my wee lads got excited about when they went for an open top drive in.

The best car did win and that was never in dispute or was the question asked and I dont give a toss if my car won or not as the exitement on my car daft 6 year old boys face seeing my car in the COTM is enough for me.

As for being limp wristed, you may be right  :wink:

Cheers

The hairy limp wristed scaffolder

Back to the top
There are LOADS of people on here that wont vote for a cabby as they dont reguard them as 'a proper mk1'

Threads like this always prove that.

However the mk1 GTI was an upgraded version of the ORIGINAL mk1 just like the cabby was an upgraded version.

So the people saying the cabby aint a real mk1 the same could be said for all you tintop GTI owners.

And I would just like to point out that I voted for a tintop.

Back to the top
I voted for the tintop as i liked it. Generally speaking i would always vote for a tintop as i prefer the look of them. It would have to be a special cab for me to vote for it, but there are a few members on here with them… It has nothing to do with proper mk1's.  I have owned many cabs and many tintops, but i like tintops.

Mk1GTi
Rallye Golf
Mk5 GTi
Mk7 GTD

Back to the top
I love both types of mk1 golf, I have a cabby as a daily drive and im currently restoring a gx tintop for the missus (no way she getting hands on the mighty gti cabby) to me there is no difference, as for the cotm, as said the best car won although i thought they were all great motors

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
i always vote for the tin top because they are always outnumbered and i think they look better than cabbys.  

mattjay50's golf is a little beast! proper sleeper.
deserved winner.
unlucky to the rest of the entrants though because they were all really nice!

as for the ''real mk1'' thing.
probably the swallowtails should be as they were the first type to be released but they are all still mk1s i my opinion.
be it a swallowtail, series1, series2, cabby, caddy, jetta, gti, citi or any other type of MK1.
they are all different varietys of a mk1 golf.

it is each to there own really when it comes to votes.
i dont think it has anything to do with being a ''proper mk1'' or not.

Back to the top

golf1980 said

i always vote for the tin top because they are always outnumbered

That answer sums it up really.

There obviously  outnumbered because tin top owners cant be bothered to enter.

People should pick the best car not pick something because its outnumbered.

There are people on here that dont class the cabby as a 'proper mk1' and will NOT vote for a cabby… FACT

Im not saying ALL tintop owners are like it but it does put the cabby at a disadvantage

Back to the top
Why does it need two pages of people trying to interpret, or explain away, how people vote? Its voted upon, couldn't be fairer, if you can't deal with the fact that people like hatchbacks more than cabbys, perhaps the cabby isn't the car for you and the hatchback is?

Back to the top
Are the votes FAIR tho paul_c?

I doubt it.

People are picking cars for the wrong reasons.

I pick the car that looks the best.

Back to the top

BigNormRivage said

I pick the car that looks the best.

Great, glad to see you've had your say and used your vote for whatever reasons you choose is the best car.

BigNormRivage said

Are the votes FAIR tho paul_c?

I doubt it.

People are picking cars for the wrong reasons.

How can a vote be right or wrong? A vote is a vote, for whatever underlying reason. Some people, for example, can appreciate the workmanship that goes into a restoration; or a particular achievement to save or rescue a previously poor condition car; or see its performance potential. Almost by default, a hatchback being older/rustier to start, will have had more history and potentially more work or time put into it; and if its not, then its a particularly good example already.

Back to the top
People picking tintops because there outnumbered.

People only picking tintops because a cabby aint a proper mk1.

Both the above statements are people picking cars for the wrong reason.

Back to the top
tintops, caddys and even 2 door jettas have more man points than cabbies..  i would let my misses drive a cabby as she's a hairdresser, so it suits her, even better with it wearing a clipper kit as they are really feminine.

Back to the top

litlekris said

tintops, caddys and even 2 door jettas have more man points than cabbies..  i would let my misses drive a cabby as she's a hairdresser, so it suits her, even better with it wearing a clipper kit as they are really feminine.

With a reply like that you must be at least 12 years old.

Back to the top

BigNormRivage said

litlekris said

With a reply like that you must be at least 12 years old.

I take it thats why hes called litlekris  :lol:

No chance he cant be that old surely, puberty is still a while away for him  :wink:

Back to the top
Yawn, this debate is getting old now, who cares anyway. But for the record, our car won 1st place best paint at the AGM and it is a cabby. If more folk prefer the tintop surely they would have voted for a tintop to win not us. Cabby's are for women, tintops are for meathead jocks and diesels are for farmers, they whole argument is rubbish. They are all mk1 golfs regardless of the variants, except a jetta which is, well a jetta. Deisels are still for farmers though.

Back to the top
^ha ha ha! farmers.
 well done for winning best paint!

norm, i think you have gotten hung up on the fact that i vote for the outnumbered. i usually side with the underdog. it is just how i am.
it is not a wrong reason to vote for it.
i dont remember a list of right or wrong reasons to vote for the car of the month.
if you remember, i said;

i always vote for the tin top because they are always outnumbered AND i think they look better than cabbys

if they were all standard ride height tintops with halfords wheels up against one nice cabby, i'd vote for the cabby probably.
but it would have to be something special for me to think it looks better than a  tintop!

Back to the top
golf1980 - yeah you are proberly right that I only really stuck on part of your reason.

For that I withdraw my statement :-)

To be fair if you prefer the look of a tintop then I fully expect you to pick a tintop (unless like the example you gave above)

I think they both look just as good.

Back to the top
Look at what my little comment has started :lol: I was only messing, I love cabbies! 8)

I also love mk1 jettas, caddys, polos etc. They are all amazing 8)

Back to the top
I wish I had never asked but I now have the answer so thanks to everyone for solving it!

I now hope that at next years AGM disco that either a meathead jock or a farmer will ask a woman like me to dance?

I will be the one at the bar with a red carnation on my frock and a bald head  :wink:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.