Skip navigation

Wide-arched 1983 Golf Gti-G60 with Digifiz!

Back to the top

Wide-arched 1983 Golf Gti-G60 & Digifiz!

Hi there , thanks for the pm regarding the wheels , sorry i didnt get back to you ive been off the mk1 forum for ages , your cars looking really good keep up the top work

Back to the top
Looking good man, Let me now how the moulds go. I think id be interested in a carbon version :D

Back to the top
Will do fez, just a couple of weeks and I will have my exams over and can make a start on them. One of my mates makes model plane bodies using fiberglass so can help me make a mold and knock out a fiberglass one and as far as I can tell carbon fiber isnt too far off it.

Theres a mk2 on ebay at the moment where the guy has made pretty much all the external panels himself out of carbon so it can't be that hard!

Back to the top
There is a tread on edition 38 about carbon stuff and that. It has some good tips on what starter kits to go for.

Back to the top
Cheers mate, yeah same definitely get the exams out of the way first.

Thats lucky having a mate who makes moulds, i did a bit of research into this before and they only way to keep the cost down if you want a carbon finish would be to make them in fibreglass and then skin/laminate it in carbon.

Have you got a link to the carbon mk2?

Back to the top
http://bit.ly/Js7AeS thats the best link I can get on my phone. Search mk2 golf carbon if it dosent work and its the first to pop up

Back to the top
Also thanks for the heads up on the carbon article on ed38. Will have a search for it.

Back to the top
Cheers mate, just had a look at the mk2 and it looks nuts. But yeah like you said its obviously possible to diy it :D

Back to the top
Update Time
Got the wiper arm back from the metal finishers who have made an awesome job of it and gave the car a wash and wax before fitting the new heavy duty cover I bought for it. Heres some fresh photos:

Also I have finally got the Porsche seat runners that my dads mate welded up for me, I only got one set done on Saturday as when cutting up a frame to make the second he almost cut his finger in half with an angle grinder miss-hap and refused hospital.. but to my surprise he woke up early the next morning to go and get the second set made! Top bloke!
Anyway I painted the mounts in some black hammerite and they fit like a glove, look awesome, have excellent hold and are much comfier than the originals!

Got my last exam for University Wednesday and as such will then begin work on the rear buckets, carbon spoiler (and carbon Kamei bonnet scoop which I have also got hold of!). The car is also booked in tomorrow afternoon with PowerFlow to get the new back box made… just in time for Prept!

Back to the top
Forgot to mention I also fitted an SWG Motorsport twin induction kit.. Need to trim up the heat shield to fit

Back to the top
Love it

Why did I start this

Back to the top
Cheers Birtymeek.

Another quick update

I picked up my car earlier from RSR Bromley who are Powerflow approved manufacturers. I must say they have done a tidy job and I would recommend them for their service.
I took the car down and spoke with Roy who is their fitter. He was quite knowledgeable and was able to point out why all the packing had decided to exit my last exhaust (inner cage was not welded into my backbox, also the mounting hanger was too long and rubbing on the rear frame…).
After a quick description of what I wanted and a printed set of the pictures posted previously on this thread he made and fitted what you see below. Sounds as it should, not as stupid as the old exhaust (though the baffling had all gone), nice raspy sound on the rev's and a deep burble when at low speed.
The tip is polished and they also painted the box and lower pipe in black as requested. He also pointed out that my existing pipe dosen't have a cat, just a middle box to silence it a little more.

Sorry about the poor quality pictures, I will get some better ones at some point but for the moment its back to revising for my test tomorrow.

Back to the top
Its looking really good mate you coming Stonor this weekend. love the exhaust i might give those guys a shout, where abouts in Bromley are they?

Back to the top
Cheers fez, nope have to work this weekend to pay for car bits…or the debt they cause anyway.

RSR Tyres
13-25 Hastings Road, Bickley, Bromley   , BR2 8NA

Back to the top
Damn, i was hoping id see you and the g60 there but as you said gotta offset the debt :P

Cheers man ill definitely look into it i think the back end of mine needs a more purposeful looking tailpipe

Back to the top
Heres are a couple of pictures taken of the car at the last Prept meeting at Brands Hatch the other week.
Lost my magnetic number plate on the way down there when a Fiesta ST tried racing me and although it flew off at speed I managed to pull over and collect it from the hard shoulder 2-3 days later and it just needs a clean!
Result!

Back to the top
Hope you left the F F F ord for dust!  :twisted: Result on the number plate too! :mrgreen: And your pics are sweeeeet!

Back to the top
Duuuuuude, whats this new steering wheel then? :D

Back to the top
Its not ready yet mate, got to make a custom hub so that it fits and retains the indicator cancel.. Theres also a theme matching gearknob, grill and other bits and pieces to do so I will post it all up in one go.. Will be putting the blue dash in this week aswell..

Doubt it will all be done in time to get to prept this month.

Back to the top
ohhhhhhhh, i thought youd forgotten to update so i thought id bug you about it  :P

Sounds really good though, im looking forward to seeing this. I dont think ill make Prept this month cause i failed one of my modules so ive got to start revising for a 3 hour retake in mid July  :banghead:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.