Skip navigation

Wide-arched 1983 Golf Gti-G60 with Digifiz!

Back to the top

Wide-arched 1983 Golf Gti-G60 & Digifiz!

Right update time…
I added another mini relay and connected it to the aux on the alarm and to the boot solenoid so it now pops remotely! Pretty sweet, but again wonder why this wasn't how it was wired originally..

I have done both front and rear door cards and took apart the digifiz to check the mileage can be reset, which it can, so will be sending it away to get tested and reset (once I get a reply from the people I messaged to get it done). The engine mileage was 50,000miles so will be having the km set to 80,000km to keep a track on servicing etc.

I also added the lower dash panels only to find the drivers side wont fit due to the relocation of the fusebox, I will have to cut and remould it to fit.

I have also sourced a Blaupunkt Duisburg radio to keep the retro look im going for, even if its just there for show..

On another note I fitted the steels to take measurements today. The fronts will be banded 1.5inches and the rears will 2.5inches and while I had the wheels off I took some pictures of the backs of the alloys for those who are interested.

Back to the top
Update!
Front carpet is now in, bit involved to fit but looks good. I have also now fitted the front seats, worked out the indicators and fitted the centre console and new pedal rubbers.

I still need to send the Digifiz away, once I get it back I can put everything in the dash and fit the steering wheel.
I also need to wire the hazard light switch. I assume all the wires have to be run to the corresponding colour for the indicators on the steering column which is a pain but should be able to do that tomorrow.

Also on the to-do list
Wire in all the gauges (I hope the existing oil temp and pressure sensors will work with the gauges)
Adapt the drivers side lower dash to fit in front of the fusebox and also enlarge the hole left from a previous switch to fit new charge cooler switch.
Fit new T sections for boost hose to digifiz and digital boost gauge.
Fit ductwork in drivers side footwell for right vent (The standard plastic duct work no longer fits due to the new location of the steering column from G60 conversion)
MOT
Tax
Get back on the road!

Back to the top
Update time!
Gauges required new senders which are now attached to the engine and I have also installed all of the gauges, just need to wire them in.
Digifiz mileage/km has been reset to show the correct mileage of the engine, for some reason still wont turn on though so need to check the loom…
G60 steels have been sent off for banding and powder coating! I have decided to go for a gun metal grey as after some photoshopping the gold looked too garish.
Other than that its just about ready for the MOT in time for the crappy winter weather, think I may invest in a good outdoor cover as theres no room in the garage..

Back to the top
Another update..

Just finished my badge-less original grill (How-to write up here http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=725401#725401)

Fitted it today with my new smoked crosshair headlights, let me know what you reckon

Before with aftermarket grill:

After:

Back to the top
Looking absolutely stunning man!

Back to the top
Hey man, love the car, really like the corado interior though, have you sold that yet? I'd be interested otherwise…

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top
Thanks Dan!

Alfie, the interior was the first to go im afraid, sorry

Back to the top
front end looks great  :D

Back to the top
Liking the grille, nice job chap ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks for the front end love!

Update time:
Car passed its MOT yesterday and is now taxed and back on the road! Still have some teething issues with the digifiz and will be fitting the radio later today but other than that the interior is basically finished. (MOT highlighted some slightly loose rear wheel bearings and my mate broke one side of the handbrake cable so need to sort that)
Wired the Cig lighter last night which also isn't in the picture below.

My banded G60 steels should be winging their way back to me next week to get wrapped in tyres and fitted (meaning the alloys will soon be for sale!) and then its exterior, suspension and engine time.

I have ordered up a filter, oil and magnetic sump plug to give the car an oil change this weekend, had a slight oil leak from one of the new senders which wasn't tightened enough and don't know what oil was used before so cant top it up. More pictures to follow soon..

Oh, also forgot to mention the digifiz is now an 8k version.. After reading online how to renew the finish which was flaking I decided to give it a go (600 wet and dry and some plastic spray), it did not go well and so I ended up asking for an early xmas present of a brand new 8k digifiz front which does look the nuts compared to the old one.

Back to the top
The bikes not bad either !

Back to the top
So much win in here!

Mk1'83 G60
Mk1'82 2.0L 8v
Mk1'93 GTI
Sportline

Back to the top
Thanks guys.
Jinsta, just read through your post.. wish my old man could spray like yours! Though I think im going to keep the metallic blue and just get the stone chips and other bits touched up.

Just to update I changed the oil (Synta Silver) Saturday and i've been giving the car a good drive and it goes just as well if not beter than I remember! (which putting it on a diet probably helped)
Just keeping my fingers crossed that the steels come soon as it just will not put the power down onto tarmac (and thats without the charge cooler on..) Im considering sourcing a CTN gearbox next year to try and sort out the ratios before anymore engine work but defiantly need to get some adjustable coilovers first.

Back to the top
Some pictures today after a wash and wax as promised:

Back to the top
Very nice I must say, makes me want a digifiz so bad! Just cant find any  :(  for my soon to be G60. The grill you've done really sets it off a lot better than the old one  8)

Adam.

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'02 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
Cheers Adam,

There were a few digifiz floating around on ebay a few weeks ago.. Have you tried ebay.de as they normally have a couple.

I do like the digifiz, also I think the digital gauges match it pretty well and give it that knight rider/back to the future 80's vibe inside. When the sun next shines I will get my digital camera out and take some better shots of it.

Also just as an update.. After 5 long weeks my banded steels are finally winging their way back to me! Should have them at the latest early next week which gives me a couple of days before Christmas to get them wrapped and fitted.
Unsure whether to give them a little stretch or not though?

Back to the top
Update:

Banded steels still havent arrived.. Apparently the couriers couldn't deliver as no-one was home which is a pain in the arse, but having them delivered to work now and hopefully will be with me next week.

I bought a full set of chrome side and waist trim and fitted it all just before christmas which looks good. Havent had a chance to take any pictures with it on other than the one below that dosent really show it much.

Also, the Powerflow back box has decided to spit out all its packing (3 carrier bags worth so far). After contacting the guy I got the car from I found out he dosen't have the warranty for the system so I will be getting a new one made. After a lot of looking around I will be having one made up that looks more OEM but with the angled pipe as per some examples below.
I am of the opinion it will look pretty mean once I have my small bumpers and have dumped the car on its arse and have the banded steels on!

Back to the top
Love this car, been reading the updates as they happen.

Mk1GTi
Rallye Golf
Mk5 GTi
Mk7 GTD

Back to the top
sweet ride mate do you know the make of them wheels after?

Back to the top
Cheers smokey, cherry I have no idea what make the wheels are im afraid. They had Wolfsburg centre caps stuck on but came unstuck so I removed them all and very much doubt they were Wolfsburg.. Anyway, they will be up for grabs soon once my steels are done and would look mint polished up but they arent to my taste.

Also a little update: Just sourced a chrome rocker cover, gold oil filler cap and gold nuts to start tarting up the engine bay.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.