Skip navigation

Am I about to make a big mistake?

Back to the top

Am I about to make a big mistake?

On wednesday I'm going to look at a mk2 vr6 golf and if I like the looks of it and buy it it means I'll have to sell my mk1! Today's the first day its hit me that I'm not sure if I could do that, reason for selling are I want something quicker and a 3 door, as a 1.1 mk1 as much as I love my mk1 lets be honest its pretty dam slow! I've looked around at everything old scirrroccos, corrados, mk2s and mk1s. And well i cant afford a tidy mk1 gti unfortunately. And this mk2 vr6 ive come across for the money he wants is such a bargin, obviously i'd be wary of this when I go to look at it and have a proper look over it.

But yeah just chatting to the guy that owns the garage round the corner from me today n he was just like you cant sell your mk1 and that has just got me thinking really :( just felt I would share my dilemma with everyone haha

Back to the top
A mk2 with an engine conversion will be cheap for only 1 reason…. It's not like with a standard car where someone could own it and not know what they have got hence it being cheap.

Stick with your mk1, you will be gutted if you sell it

Back to the top
I think you've answered your own question in the title…

Back to the top
hmm yeah you could be right guys, well its not a cheap mk2 but for the money thts bin spent on it its good value should i say then

Back to the top
Dont sell it mate! Next time your back home I can sort you out with a nice 1.8 16v engine to plop in yours lol

Back to the top
I'll send you a pm ross that could be a option…

Back to the top
just replied to your other post too lol

Back to the top
yeah cheers dude just saw that :)

Back to the top
mk2 VR6's are amazing btw.

Is it a 2.8 or 2.9, got a link?

Back to the top
Hiya bud
            You say you can't afford a decent Mk 1 GTI but you can get a modded Mk 2 golf VR6. I take it you will inform your insurance company that the car is modded cos if you dont you might as well drive round with no insurance as they wont pay out if you have a bump, that said if you weigh up how much more you would spend on insurance then the cost of buying the new untested in your ownership car, you could be buying a can of worms and lets face it the MK 1 is a classic like the unmolested MK 2, if it was me mate it would be the MK1 all day long. you know it makes sense, like people have said why not stick a GTI engine in yours or even a 16V.
Daz

mk1 gti mars red /deep blue pearl r32

Back to the top
Dazr I see where your coming from yeah its not the insurance that is the problem its the £3000-4000 people are asking for gti's I dont have that much cash readily available to me, insurance can be paid monthly. Yeah the engine change in mine is something i'm considering now too.

Raul its a 2.8 ODB2 engine with the wide track so everything out of a mk3 used basically, full stainless and induction kit already matched up to the engine.

Back to the top

Sedge said

Raul its a 2.8 ODB2 engine with the wide track so everything out of a mk3 used basically, full stainless and induction kit already matched up to the engine.

Nearly the same setup as mine but mine isn't wide track.

If it's a good conversion, it will not dissapoint. Their not amazingly quick but fast enough and the noise will have you hooked!  :wink:

Back to the top
Yeah i'm going to have a look at it tomorrow anyway can't do any harm! in ur sig it says urs is your daily. what sort of mpg do you get from it? I guess if your gentle on the throttle its not too bad?

Back to the top

Sedge said

Yeah i'm going to have a look at it tomorrow anyway can't do any harm! in ur sig it says urs is your daily. what sort of mpg do you get from it? I guess if your gentle on the throttle its not too bad?

It's perfectly good on fuel but then I dont do many daily miles.

Go steady and it'll return 32ish.

But try and go steady when/if you first get it, It's not possible!  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
haha i can imagine  :lol: To be honest I dont do all that many miles a week so unless its horrific on petrol I cant see it being much of a problem. Have you got any tips on key things to look out for? Ive bin told to look at the timing chains in case theres any play that could mean the water pumps on its way out right?

Back to the top

Sedge said

haha i can imagine  :lol: To be honest I dont do all that many miles a week so unless its horrific on petrol I cant see it being much of a problem. Have you got any tips on key things to look out for? Ive bin told to look at the timing chains in case theres any play that could mean the water pumps on its way out right?

How many miles has the engine done? Is there any history? You'll hear the chains if they've got play in them.

I've been told by various people that chains should be changed at 100k, others disagree.

When I bought mine it had a new water pump and belt and engine was quiet with proven 89,000 on it.

Get yourself onto mk2vr6 owners club, it's got loads of info on there dude.  :wink:

Back to the top
got some history yes and the engines done 115k cheers I'll head over there and take a look!

Back to the top
So did you get it then?

You can always buy mine if not!  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
With out wanting to upset too many people I'll say it quietly yes  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Good fun ain't they? Looks nice man!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.