Skip navigation

MarsRed Cab 16v Conversion * NOW STARTED*

Back to the top

MarsRed Cab 16v Conversion * NOW STARTED*

no probs its got the spade already so no worries
and ive got connection ready for air inlet temp sensor
believe it or not the induction kit i have accommodates it.

ANYWAY GOT TO WORK TODAY ENGINES IN FIRST OF ALL
ABOUT TIME

HERE IT IS WITH THE INLET MANIFOLD ON
HAD TO FIT IT BEFORE I ASSESSED WHERE TO PUT THE ECU

NEXT TO PUT THIS SOMEWHERE

HERE SEEMS PRETTY GOOD

HAS SOME 1 INCH OR SO OF MANOEUVRE BUT IM PREPARED TO MOVE IT INCASE THE ENGINE
ROCKS TO MUCH ONCE ITS IN????????????
WE SHALL SEE

THIS IS HOW I LEFT IT TODAY
MOST ANCILLARIES CONNECTED LIKE THE NEW COIL AND SUCH

STILL NEED TO
FIT MY EXHAUST SYSTEM ON
FIT FUEL PUMP AND RESERVOIR
WIRE UP FUEL PUMPS
FIT NEW DISCS AND PADS
PAINT CALIPERS
FIT INDUCTION KIT

HERES SOME OF MY NEW STUFF

PRESSED PLATES

DISCS AND PADS

INDUCTION KIT

FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM
PUMP ACCUMULATOR AND RESERVOIR

SO CLOSE TO BEING FINISHED NOW

Back to the top
looking good so far, but i would make up some kind of heat shield for the ecu at  least, as it'll get pretty hot there!

preferably i would drill a hole in the bulkhead and run it up in the scuttle. use the size of hole for the main looms as a guide and get yourself a mk1/2 grommet to fit. cut this lengthways and tape it over the ecu loom.

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Can't find this e14 plug but no worries
I'll just get stuck in and do my own wiring.
Is it just run a positive from the lift pump and main pump onto plug n on the fusebox with an online fuse
Of how many amps
And an earth

Or is there more to it
Seems a bit too straight forward if you ask me?

Back to the top
Hot and toasty ECU  :)  Good work so far man, looks nice and clean.

Back to the top
E is the black one right in the middle, you cant miss it! pin 14 is the large round pin that is empty. Spade N is pump live but unfused so you'll need an inline fuse. whichever way you do it dont forget you need 2 wires to the pump power the 2nd one needs a female spade on it for the abf engine loom injector and lambda power :)

earth for pump just run to the earth claw above the fusebox.

Back to the top
That seems okay and within my skill range
Cheers for that
I like the diagram as well
Makes a world of difference to understand

Back to the top
Just wondering….
I know the abf engine has 150bhp standard
But wanted to know if anyone knew or had good comparison to estimate the power of the abf once
De catted
Exhaust manifold and system fitted
And induction kit applied
what would be the bhp of that?
Has anyone had this with similar mods and a dyno?
Give me a shout if you might know

Back to the top
Looking good dude, hope its all running soon. :-) .
Ref your question on bhp, a friend of mine had a mk2 16v we put an abf lump in it, we used the std mk2 kjet injection, a decat pipe and 4 branch manifold. It was rolling roaded at 172bhp and was a rocket! :-)
I would hope you would have similar results . . . .

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top
Well what can i say. Had 3 weeks away from the mk1 and got right back into it.
just need to confirm a few things now and thats it.

lets allow the pics to do the talking……………………

I REALLY LIKE THIS PIC..

TO SUMMARISE
IVE FITTED EVERYTHING ON NOW AND IVE ONLY GOT TO WIRE UP THE FUEL PUMP AND IN TANK PUMP
AS WELL AS CONFIRM THE WIRING FOR MY STARTER AND ALTERNATOR IS CORRECT

HERES WERE I NEED A BIT OF HELP….

THE WIRES IN MY HAND ARE THE ONLY 2 WHICH COME FROM THE ALTERNATOR
SO THERE IS ONLY 1 THIN BLUE WIRE AND A LARGER WIRE CONNECTING THE STARTER AND ALTERNATOR

IS THAT CORRECT????

I QUERY IT BECAUSE I WAS UNSURE HOW THE POWER FROM THE ALTERNATOR WILL CHARGE THE SYSTEM

1 FOR RUBJONNY…

IS THIS WIRE IN MY HAND THE 1 FOR THE FUEL PUMP. THE E13 PIN?
IF SO. IS THE PIN PLUGGING INTO SLOT E13 AND THE FREE END IS 1 OF THE 2 LIVES FOR THE FUEL PUMP

FUEL PIPING AND SUCH

IVE CONNECTED THE FUEL RESERVOIR AND PUMP IS ALSO FITTED AND ALL I NEED TO DO NOW IS FIT A PIPE FROM THE PUMP TO INJECTION RAIL AND A RETURN BACK TO THE RESERVOIR.
THE ISSUE IS WHERE CAN I GET A CONNECTOR FOR THE TYPE OF CONNECTION IN THE PIC???

SO CLOSE NOW…………..
SO CLOSE…..

Back to the top
Your Altenator connects to the battery via the starter… Ao you should have a thick cable from alt to starter as you have and then another thick red cable from the same point on the starter to the battery positive

Btw, car looks ace mate :-)

Back to the top

Lee_dub said

Your Altenator connects to the battery via the starter… Ao you should have a thick cable from alt to starter as you have and then another thick red cable from the same point on the starter to the battery positive

Btw, car looks ace mate :-)

Thanks a lot mate.
Really appreciate that

Just need to finish off the engine and then get the interior retrimmed in leather with matching headliner.

Back to the top
1. looks like you are missing the wire from the starter to the battery +ve ;)
the blue wire is the charge light on dash, this plugs into blue wire on the engine or lighting loom. basically on alt is d+ wire which is a 2 pin plug, blue wire runs from this to near the starter/battery depending if you use mk1/2 or mk3 alternator wire. mk1/2 goes to spade near battery +, mk3 goes to a small clippy waterproof plug.

2. yes pop that pin into E/14, its the only hole it will fit into on plug E so you cant go wrong. E is the smallish black plug for the rear wiring loom, easy peasy. then 1 wire to a spade for the abf fuel injector and lamda power, other wire run to your fuel pump(s)
that red wire on the relay needs to go to a permanent live spade on the back of the fusebox. if you look there are 2 groups of spades, the live side is where the 2 massive chunky red wires go

3. if you can find old mk1/2 k-jet metering head feed/return lines, you can cut the plastic/rubber pipe off the fitting. then you end up with a barbed end with thread that goes right into the old k-jet feed/return lines, and you push your abf hoses right over the barbed end and secure with proper fuel pipe clip

Back to the top
Will this type of thing work for point 3. The fuel hose issue I raised?
 http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/fuel-hose-fittings/fse-1-4-bsp-push-on-pipe-union

Cheers for the advice. I know exactly what I need to do with the fuel pumps now with the exception of the order of the in tank pump connections.

I've heard you can use a 3 pin plug from a mk2 headlamp fitting for the polo g40 lift pump connection.
See pic in posts
Is this right and if it is can this be purchased from main dealer still?

Back to the top
thats the kind of thing yeah, but the thread is metric not bsp. i cant remember if its m10 or m12.

yeah the mk2 golf headlight leveller plugs will work, or pre-90 mk2 golf lift pump plug. its all over older dubs really. no need to buy new as you can easily take the pins out and put fresh ones in they're std latched female spades 2.8mm, Ref: 3-2921-2/10:
http://polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/2.8mm_Terminals.html

need a good crimp tool though as they're small!

311 906 231 B - plug, 3 pin - 1.80+VAT
867 972 525 - protective cap - 3.2+VAT

Back to the top
Thanks rubjonny

I think I may very well have it started on Saturday. Fingers crossed I can establish the order of the pins on the sender/intank pump.

Can I confirm does the vacuum from the servo connect to the connection on the rear of the inlet manifold.
Does it need any 1 way valve? I can remember if it had 1 with the carb engine connections.

Cant believe how close it is to being finished now.  Thanks for all the help from everyone so far.
Couldn't have done it without you

Cheers

Back to the top
with the tank sender its quite easy to figure it out once its removed, 1 of the pins will go direct to the lift pump, thats obv pump power. 1 wire goes direct to the level sender, thats the purple/black wire. 1 wire is shared between the pump and the sender, thats the earth :)

the big connection on rear of inlet is for the servo, and ya you should have a 1 way valve on that pipe. it holds vacuum in the servo after the car is switched off, any mk1, 2 or 3 valve will do you fine. just make sure that any rubber tubing you have holds its shape under vacuum, oh and that you put it on the right way round ;)

Back to the top
With the vacuum does that mean the valve will open towards the inlet manifold. So air will get sucked out the servo.

Back to the top
yeah, you'll know if you get it wrong as you wont have any brake assistance! found that out the hard way :lol:

Back to the top
Which end of the fuel pump is outlet???

The end with the electrical connections or the other.

Back to the top
Which end of the fuel pump is outlet???

The end with the electrical connections or the other.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.