Skip navigation

MarsRed Cab 16v Conversion * NOW STARTED*

Back to the top

MarsRed Cab 16v Conversion * NOW STARTED*

Hi everyone,

Ill be building my mk1 2.0L 16v conversion over the next 2 months.

I should be collecting the donor car, a mk3 golf gti tomorrow so let the fun commence.

Ill upload some pics every week with the progress but just thought Id let you all know who I am and what my car is all about.

Any suggestions on the build would be much appreciated.

Back to the top
Good luck bud, im on board!

Back to the top
Thanks for the support!!

I got the donor car today

Soon to be scrapped except everything ill be needing for the conversion.

Check the For Sale Sections as Ill be off loading lots of my current 8v parts and the not need 16v parts such as the gearbox etc.

Also I would like to note Im in the stage of gathering parts.
Especially in need of a manifold to fit the 16v Abf engine in my mk1 such as supersprint etc.

Ive found a manifold which was fitted to a mk1 with a Kr engine in it. Will this fit the ABf in my mk1?

Back to the top
Come across a bit of a grey area and need some help.

Trying to sort out the fuel delivery system for my conversion and sort the parts needed.
Thing is I thought I needed ACCUMULATOR, FUEL PUMP, IN TANK LIFT PUMP AND FUEL RESERVOIR all from mk1 Gti to run the 2L 16v

Is this right?

Any other ways people have done it.

Back to the top
Hi mate, good luck with the ABF conversion  :D

Ive just taken one out of my mk1 so if you have any qq's fire them my way  :P

Back to the top

denisotto said

Come across a bit of a grey area and need some help.

Trying to sort out the fuel delivery system for my conversion and sort the parts needed.
Thing is I thought I needed ACCUMULATOR, FUEL PUMP, IN TANK LIFT PUMP AND FUEL RESERVOIR all from mk1 Gti to run the 2L 16v

Is this right?

Any other ways people have done it.

Mine was on zx6r bike carbs when i got mine, and they used a fuel pump off a R1

Heres the link for more info on it. Bottom of page 2 and onto 3.

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=74783&start=30&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Back to the top
Update

Took the abf engine out the mk3 today. Took off the box and just tackling the wiring.

I'm planning on getting the inlet and rocker cover sandblasted and powder coated in mars red so it'll look nice and clean under the mk1 bonnet.

This is car its going into people.
My pride and joy.

Back to the top
Hi again,
Spent a long day at the garage today. Got really dirty.
 Stripped out all the needed wiring including the ecu, fusebox,diagnostics port and I did it all with no cuts.
To summarise it was really hard work. But all the wiring from the 16valver is out.
Wiring wise all there is left to do is remove the loom from my mk1, which I hope should be a world easier due to the fact is has minimal electrics, and then send it all to rubjonny to do some magic.
Here it all is.

The other thing I've been doing is stripping down the engine back to the head and block. I'm not removing the head as the car was running really well when I got so I'm.very happy that its all good inside.
I've been busy removing all the ancilaries from the engine and attempting to degrease it.

My plan is to clean and prepare the engine for some fresh new black paint so if anyone has any suggestions of any  engine preparation products which will really degrease and provide suitable surface for painting I would love to hear what's worked well for others. Also which engine paints are the best to use or should I just go hammerite?

Also sent the inlet manifold and alternator casing off to be sandblasted and powder coated in red/orange.
The rocker cover is going to be mirror polished and the additional ancillaries on the engine will be treated to a sandblast and silver paint.

Still searching for a manifold people so any suggestions would again be welcomed.

Cheers for looking. Any tips?

Back to the top
Hi mate.

I would check out Brad Moles Forum on cleaning products. He's doing a great job on his resto and its really inspring.

I used Gunk to degrease the block of grime and oil (the bottle and not the can type)  Also hammerite should be fine but there are plent of good heat resitant paints out there.

For the manifold, i have a very used one here, you are welcome to have but it probably advise trying to source one. Ill dig the VW number out today

Back to the top

GaryGTi83 said

Hi mate.

I would check out Brad Moles Forum on cleaning products. He's doing a great job on his resto and its really inspring.

I used Gunk to degrease the block of grime and oil (the bottle and not the can type)  Also hammerite should be fine but there are plent of good heat resitant paints out there.

For the manifold, i have a very used one here, you are welcome to have but it probably advise trying to source one. Ill dig the VW number out today

Gary is it?
Thanks for you support so far. This manifold you have is it possible to get any pics or which type is it.
I've seen a mk1 downpipe which has 6 connecting holes to link to the manifold and I think that may be the correct fitting for the abf manifold iirc. Let me know dude.
Going to get online tonight and research some good engine paint and preparation items.
Cheers. Denis

Back to the top
Hi everyone, just another monday, another day on the conversion.
Coming along nicely in my view and some visable progress.

Just painted the engine……

Have done it in Gloss Black VHT. Wanted a factory look finish hence I didnt go with Red or Orange for example.

Also been cleaning up and repainting some other items which are to go back onto the engine.
Have a look for yourself…..

Before

The difference a bit of cleaning can do.

Some parts in primer
Ready for alluminium silver

After

Some bolts being cleaned before they go back onto the engine

Just trying to make sure everything is as clean as possible before going back onto the engine.

It should be nice and clean to work with going into the mk1.

And this is how i left it.

The rocker cover needs to be chromed or polished.

The alternator casings and the inlet manifold are at the powder coaters place receiving a nice bit of colour……….

By next monday I should be ready for the final assembly

Back to the top
Things I could do with.

1 Fuel delivery system from a mk1 GTi
Tank and pumps would be fine.

2 Exhaust manifold to fit the ABF once its in my cab.
I would prefer not to cut and weld but will if I have to

Cash is waiting by the way…

Just thinkg about the setup under the bonnet as well.
Where to put things like ECU, Airbox or should I get an Induction kit to tidy up etc etc etc

Any suggestions people

Back to the top
go on dennis.

u have pm also….

mk1 golf - resto
mk3 polo breadie - daily banger

Back to the top
i extended all my wires for ecu and stuck in under my centre console :D

Back to the top
Hi people, just thought I'd add a brief update.
Not much left to he done to the 16v engine except bolt a few more things on and put it into the mk1.
So I've been busy removing some wiring from my mk1. Removed all the wiring from the engine to the fusebox but that's still in the car. I love wiring. Not.

Anyway I'm just waiting on confirmation of what wiring is needed then its just a case of getting them put together I guess.

I will most likely have the 16v fully assembled by next Monday ready to drop in. Then to change the fuel delivery system.

Back to the top
Hi again,
It's been a really long time. Had 3 months away and so never touched the car since end of august.
its good to be back though and ive made some reasonable progress

heres the engine with most the ancillaries removed

engine being hoisted out

bye bye crappy mk1 lump
now the engine is out i plan tto clean up the bay and possibly a bit of a touch up with paint if required.
ill be painting the engine mounts with the same black as the engine so theyre looking nice and tidy.

nice open space to await this……….

couldve had this shiny lump in by the end of the week, however, im going to get my box refurbed 1st because i might as well while its out and have it painted silver again.

nothing much left to add on to this abf lump except for
induction kit which ill be buying as i dont fancy fitting the rather large airbox in

still in the hunt for
a complete fuel delivery system from a mk1 gti
mk2 golf clutch
9" servo
16v conversion manifold

also received my wiring back from rubjonny and its looking very neat and easy to well….plug back in.

Back to the top
Things are coming along nicely.
Not that much more to do i think.

I removed all the mounts from the engine and gearbox.

Jusdt gave them a good bruch down on the wheel to remove any corrosion etc

And gave them a first coat in the same black as i did the block in.

Also Ive now found a flywheel and clutch and mk2 golf servo.

The gearbox is getting a full refurb and ill be painting it silver.

Back to the top
Ive had some time off again and so the mk1 edges that bit further to completion

My Work In Progress

I now have a mk2 gti clutch flywheel and brake servo and the rest of the car for that matter waiting for me courtesy of my father

Once clutch and flywheel are in hand the engine is going in so should be in by end of feb latest

Fitted the drivers side engine mount earlier
Had to make some new threads in the block and on the bolts i was using though

Managed to get it fitted in the end

Forget to include it in the photo but I had to cut the lower cover to fit around the mount

Mechanis are mostly sorted so Ive moved onto the wiring.

Im a bit apprehensive with the situation regarding the coil and which one to use

I still have the original mk1 coil wires and the plug to the amplifier on my revised loom.

However I also have the mk3 coil and its plugged into the wiring harness on the engine

So which should I use and what do I do with the other wires???????

Old Mk1 Wires

Mk3 Coil Plugged Into Abf Harness

I would have though it best to use the mk3 coil but this is my first time so I thought id get some advice before possibly getting rid of something i may later need.

If I do use the mk3 coil can I then scrap the amplifier that sits under the passenger side of the scuttle on the mk1??????

Back to the top
TIME FOR ANOTHER MONTHLY UPDATE

MANAGED TO ACQUIRE A FEW PARTS

SORTED OUT THE WIRING LOOM
TAPED IT UP NEATLY AND FITTED IT

AND THROUGH INTO THE DREADED FUSEBOX

ALSO CLEANED UP THE 16V SERVO I HAVE
GAVE IT A NICE BLACK FINISH

AND FITTED IT

I HAVE TWO 22MM MASTER CYLINDERS BUT BOTH HAVE 2 HOLES FOR BRAKE PIPES
SO LEFT THE OLD ONE ON FOR NOW UNTIL I GET ONE WITH 4 HOLES TO MAKE FOR EASIER FITTING

I ALSO GOT THIS FROM A MK2 GTI 16V
NEED TO CHECK IF IT WILL FIT MY TANK

I ALSO HAVE A POLO G40 ONE BRAND NEW SO ONE WILL BE FOR SALE

AT THIS POINT I MAKE REFERENCE TO THE GEARBOX IN THE PREVIOUS POST
AND NOW

A FEW BITS STILL NEED DETAILING IN BLACK BUT LOOKS GOOD I THINK

GOT THIS FROM A GUY ON HERE TOO

MY DAD KINDLY SANDBLASTED IT FOR ME
THEN I DID THIS TO IT

I ONLY NEED TO GET MY HANDS ON A PUMP AND RESERVOIR NOW

EVERYTHING IS COMING ALONG NICELY AT THE MOMENT

NEXT STEPS ARE TO BOLT GEARBOX AND MANIFOLD ONTO ENGINE AND MOUNT IN THE MK1
CANT WAIT

STILL UNSURE AS TO WHAT IGNITION SYSTEM WILL WORK

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO DRAW MASSIVE ATTENTION TO HOW I THOUGHT THIS WOULD TAKE ME 2 MONTHS
HA!!!!!!
THAT WAS AUGUST!!!

Back to the top
Cracking work matey, Keep it up :)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.