Skip navigation

Elvis - My 1.8T Build - No more time wasting!!!

Back to the top

Back to the top
Thanks guys :)

Ade, Yes definately up for some head to heads at the pod and yes you're right, its the second time you've challenged me haha!! Let me know if you manage to get hold of Richard too!

It sure is about time i got some work done on this Foxy, now the wedding is out of the way i can.

Finally finished the r/disc conversion today woohooooo!!! Such a pita that the car is 20miles away from where i live but unfortunately the husband is hogging the garage with his project lol

Gonna get back up there next weekend and clean all the underside and then either paint it green or just waxoyl it, we'll see. Better get my wire brush and thinners out haha!

I saw a crinkly peanut tomorrow

Back to the top
Well Elvis is coming home on friday woohoooooo!!! only while the husbands car goes for paintwork though, you can certainly tell who wears the trousers in this house.   :roll:

I'm planning on getting alot of the bits n bobs finished off while its here such as putting the clutch and flywheel in and getting the driveshafts and cv joints all together, we just wanted to get the engine in and get the wiring done and then we could concentrate on all this building up :)

I'll also be finishing off the brakes nd starting on the cooling and fuelling systems!

Had a pressie from Burton Power in the week too….

More pics to follow next week   :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Reading this makes me want to get my MK1 already. Some exceptional work there. I'd be too scared to pull my engine apart like that. Can't wait to see more pictures.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Back to the top
Me neither pal :)

Been let down yet again!!! Was supposed to be getting Elvis recovered home last night but miraculously half an hour before being picked up the recovery truck broke down :( lol!!

Its sorted now though, getting one of my reliable guys from work to pick it up next weekend for me.

Its a p.i.t.a but never mind :(

Steff x

Back to the top
anymore news on this?

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
Yep!

Elvis is at home now :D Got him back on saturday afternoon thanks to one of our wonderful guys from work and his trusty wagon!

Started to make up all the copper brake pipes on sunday, which we'll then take off and re-make in the green factory stuff (£7per metre from Ford) as i think the copper looks a bit poop.

Also started looking into mounting the fluid reservoirs in the engine bay, in the scuttle panel/tray thingy. Made a template, just need to find some suitable metal now then i can get all the brake stuff done.

Ordered some more bits and bobs from Burton Power on monday so just waiting for those to turn up

Oh yeah, Also fitted the goodridge stainless flexi hoses too

Will update when I can :)

Steff

Back to the top
Glad to hear of progress Steff !!

Use knufer instead of copper (it's a copper/nickel alloy). The factory stuff is steel with a plastic coat, so always the chance of corrosion !!!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
love that steering colom mod - epic!!!

Back to the top
Thansk guys :)

My brake fittings turned up today so hoping to get out in the garage tomorrow night and over the weekend to get more stuff done.

Thanks for the info Ade!

Back to the top
moooore updates..

how's this getting on?

Back to the top
Loving the picture of the rocker and engine, looks smart. How do you get the crackle black effect? Is there a spray or....

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver
MK1 Golf - 1.8 GTI (Build Thread - Here)

Back to the top
All brake pipes are now finished :) I'll get some pics later on!!

Engine has been back out and we've put the clutch and flywheel back in, and chopped down the alternator bracket as i wont be needing most of it.

Got my wheel bearings to put in and build the driveshafts up and get it all put back in the engine bay.

One thing i've noticed though is that my manifold is no good. doh!!! the way the turbo is sitting means that theres a massive strut top in the way of any air intake so luckily a friend of mine is going to fabricate me a new manifold from scratch, He's coming tomorrow to measure up for it :)

Engine has just gone back in this evening!

As for the rocker cover, its not crackle, its B&Q 'Stone Effect' spray paint with satin black over the top of it!  :mrgreen:

Wound the coilovers down at the front aswell, its on its bottom and looking goooooood!  :mrgreen:

Pics will follow….

Back to the top
looking forward to pics

Back to the top
Come on Steff, mine is so very close to running again !!

Glad to see that you are making progress though :-)

Mine today:

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Looking good Ade :D

Quick question, what did you use to mount your fluid reservoirs?

Steff :)

Back to the top
Cheers Steff !!

Well I originally bought a floor mounted pedal box from OBP.
Tried to fit it and didn't like the pedal positions, so sold it on, accept for the reservoirs and mounting bracket. It is stainless steel and you can buy it on its own.

http://www.obpltd.com/…/3-hole-reservoir-bracket

I made up a wedge and then bolted it to the scuttle.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks for the info Ade, think I'm gonna get some made by a friend (mentioned below who made my manifold lol)

Anyway, think its time for an update

After looking at this….  

And having an 'oh s**t' moment! I realised that the turbo on that manifold wasn't going to work because theres nowhere for the air intake to go as there's a big strut top in the way, or even if I was to turn the turbo it would be near impossible to route an exhaust down the back of there! So I called in a friend of mine who's handy with a tig welder to possibly make up a new manifold for me in stainless which would move the flange more towards the n/s of the engine, that way I could turn the turbo back around, move it over and have plenty of room to route the exhaust…..

So it began!

I bought 2 90degree bends from JP Exhausts in Macclesfield and my friend got the plate cut to match the manifold gasket, then the welding began

The finished manifold…

I bought all the studs and nuts this week so gave it a trial fit today…

Cut all the studs down to fit and got it on the engine…

Plenty of room to route the exhaust now….

Pain in the arse water/heater pipes need to be re-routed! (I've now taken them off!)

And then it came back off to turn the core of the turbo and get the compressor housing in the position I want it and took the actuator off the bracket that's been welded to the housing and repositioned that.

Its back off to Dave's tomorrow as he needs to level the manifold flange as it seems its distorted when it was welded so isn't fitting flush with the turbo.

And then on Tuesday its off to CR Turbo's for them to sort out a bracket for the actuator and clean up the weld off the compressor housing.

And one last pic for today….

Bought this shallow sump from PSI Tuning :) Will be getting that fitted next while the Turbo is away!

That's all for now!

Back to the top
looking good !!!
started about the same time as mine i think !!!
amazing how long they take, but your is looking awesome :)

Back to the top
Yeah tell me about it, Mine's been off the road 5 years in June :(

But thanks for the comment, really appreciate it :) makes it worthwhile lol

Steff

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.