8v Standard rebuilt w/ CAM etc
16v 9A/KR/ABF
G60 16v 9A/KR/ABF
Live with the G60 8v
You do not have permission to vote

Back to the top

Helios Blue GTI

Helios Blue S2 GTI

Have been thinking 2.0 as they are cheap cheap at the moment…. but just want the thing on the road now  

Anyway, slight update… still, culminates in not much being done.

Have been busy on the interior, obviously the most important part, right?

So, few pics -

Any tips to re-colour this? Usual tactic of my heatgun didn't do anything.

New speedo cable… easier to fit than I imagined, and ignition switch…. found my original cracked… lost the damn little screw though!

Badly lit pictures but, Latvian special wheel on now, ebay adapter and momo boss

Also now have an Atiwe Ford boss if anyone needs one

Also centre console.. getting there, just need carpet

Moving on to another area, vaccum… browsing ebay.. nos vaccum thingy, disposed of eons ago when I didn't know what it was.. alas got lucky, £7 later

Now the biggy, yes biggy… wing mirrors

Again ebay browsing turned expensive… queue indecision, me, really… anyway

S2 Mirrors in decent nick

Flags from german ebay, again vgc condition

Undecided, like both…. I've agonised for days on them. Priorities right

Anyway, next plans… horn push ring for the steering wheel so it can blast said horn.

Exhaust manifold off to be modified.

Rack off to be re calibrated (too enthusiastic and messed about before fully setting it up)

Accelerator cable, and all other myriad of associated bits… peddle bush, cable clip, gaskets etc

Then we're onto the fun one… petrol tank and injector lines… I have to pick a colour for them…. anyone guess how that's going to go

As always any comments most welcome

…… and ideas on the mirrors will be appreciated

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'02 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
So yes, over a year has passed… but things are getting more regular on t'old Golf in terms of buying and fitting.

Where to begin…

Engine front, I've babbled on in the past about keeping it a GTI, and an 8v… as it feels right to me…. VR5 wobble being averted recently.

I bought a spare engine off MalC… in MK2 Digifant 8v flavour, idea being to use the digi injector positioning and a stand alone ECU…but in true fashion the plan moved on again since then.

I've wanted to send a head off for some work for a long time, but hadn't ever had the confidence to follow through with it… but now I have! Woo. So having spoken with a couple of tuners/ garages. I chose JMR Clubsport - Jason Moyle / MrHillclimber on other forums..

Spoke through my ideal spec, what I wanted and what would be nice to have… can't fault him, he's listened advised and taken on my silly ideas… saying no to *bling bits* where appropriate, on account of me being a magpie and it not adding anything to my spec (Down draft manifolds I'm firmly looking at you)

So new spec in time will be as follows;

> 1.8 8v standard rebuild bottom end
> JMR Road Sport head + Fast road cam & a Vernier
> JMR Front and Rear mounts
> ITB in DCOE fitment and the associated gubbins
> Distributor delete + coilpack/ trigger wheel ignition + timing
> Depending on ITB's either DTA or Omex Ecu

So this should go nicely with the Powersprint system I've had on the Golf for years, but it never being used…

A few other little bits done on the engine bay recently

> Upper strut brace… will eventually go to powder coat, black I think
> Heim jointed brace for the alternator bracket… I'm a magpie, no judging
> Swapped the oil cooler over the newer style/ water-oil cooler, however I'll be running a Thermostatic Mocal jobbie
> Black coolant cap… magpie
> Various little things like sensors and oil dipstick etc

> Also rebuilt my drive shafts… a 'reyt palava, seems with mine being a late 1983 model, I've got a strange mash of components…. Basically the splines/ retaining area on the shaft inner side would only accept a circlip instead of the thick clip/ ring … I understand the bigger CV's to be similar

I'll also add the metal clips for securing the boots from the 'kits' are utter pants and useless, bought some thicker branded clips, straight on with no problems.

Either way drive shafts in… makes it feel like were getting somewhere

You might notice something else in the last pic…. got carried away and bought something I've looked at for a long time… I'll get a pic of it in full next time I'm under but -

Basically a front brace from Go-Kraut in the USA, which also extends to the rear ARB + Wishbone mount… well made and very happy, should all go together nicely with the large ARB I installed many moons ago :)Otherwise, I've been tarting the old girl up… mainly to make me feel better and making it look like some progress has actually happened :ninja:

> New Heritage Bumpers (Bit miffed I had to drill my own holes for the number plate plinth :o)
> Powerflex exhaust hangers… powersprint and the cold destroyed the GSF jobbies
> CQ stainless numberplate plinth
> CQ GTI red stripe for the grille
> Heritage Duckbill spoiler
> Heritage Headlight rings… my OE 'rings were for a different spec model I surmise, had big blocks where part of the red trim lives
> Hella Indicator assemblies
> Motorsport Front Grille with Marchal fog lights, differs to the later Hella Grille in terms of the fog light mounting and associated trim

To continue the theme of tarting up the outside, I've been meaning to change the rear window rubber. Since I'd done the front, figured the rear could do with it… so, set off knowing there was a 'bubble' to investigate and the lower left side..

During

Sign of what I should know to expect …

Window and Rubber off

And the pièce de résistance…

The entire curve of the inner seam was recreated with filler, as was the hole.. sad really, as the rest of the tailgate is in decent paint and 'nick

Anyway… new tailgate needed, didn't fancy a SA/ Citi version as its a. Expensive, b. Missing badge holes and has a wiper on the wrong side. Fortunately eBay had a listing for one locally, which I won..

Full tailgate for less than half the Citi one… plus side being it's been stored in a Sheffield body shop for over 20 years so nice and straight, but in black, and a bit scratched… but, she's not beauty queen at the mo, so 'nay bother with paint yet

If your still here, almost at the end…:)So, I've got a few steering wheels for the old girl, an Atwie Indianoplis Colt, in a fetching 80's tastic red. And a Porsche Raid jobbie. However both in varying stages of usability..or lack of, therefore a recover would probably be about the £200 mark.. so I went on the hunt for another.. that didn't need work.

Criteria-

> Smaller than the Atwie, but similar to the Raid -330mm
> Momo fitment.. I have an Atwie > Momo adapter
> Period to the car

So browsing along, as you do on eBay, I saw something period (1982), smaller than the Atwie and similar to the Raid (320mm) and would fit the Momo boss… its a Momo.

A Momo Monte Carlo 320mm… first impressions, nice to hold and turn, and feels about right for me sat in the drivers seat. Also being a magpie, I liked the idea of a removable steering wheel, security etc blah, insert justification *here*

So I ended up with an NRG slim quick release, friction fit with spring loaded pin lock… seems ok for now, not sure how it'll go with usage..

Only other things are, I've finally done the gear linkage.. that's what 5 years or so, mine seems to like 10mm gap between the selector rod and base plate? Anyway, it selects all gears

And some more wheels… They are in similar to P-Slot dimensions 14” ET38x6J however they will need some spacers to run… spoke design is a little calliper unfriendly.. but that should give me the same with as the current 15" so should fill the arches without being silly

Anyway my Bulgarian sourced wheels are some OZ Route C's from 1981

Size and design I think will be more in-keeping with what I'm after. Refurb in silver, and red OZ caps I think…

Current to do list -

> Centre Steering rack ('cos I'm stupid and moved it before I connected it all up) and fit some heim jointed track rod's
> Fit adjsted manifold then send it off the JMR for port matching
> Buy oil cooler bits and fit
> Fit brake lines … and decide to go all flexy or metal and flexy … already buying the metal line kit ha
> Dismantle and rebuild the steering column with uprated bearings sourced from Chris in the US /usaygo
> Redo the 'rack boots, as I've now got some 'proper' clips and I like to make my self feel good with things I can do.

So steering and stiffness should be covered off soon O_oIn the future, past that above-

> Fit JMR mounts when I receive them
> Raid Newton Commercial for interior bits
> Send fuel tank off for blasting and plastic coating, almost 4x the price of the repro tanks, but feel I can just-about justify it, i think. Maybe.
> Fit new Bosch fuel pump and find a nice fuel filter and run some fuel lines
> Send a load of stuff off for powder coat
> Decide If I can justify ARP headstuds … probs can if I think for long enough
> Fit JMR head, ITB's and ECU

As always lemmie know what y'all think … and if I've done anything the wrong way around  

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top

adi3390 said

.. got carried away and bought something I've looked at for a long time… I'll get a pic of it in full next time I'm under but -

Basically a front brace from Go-Kraut in the USA, which also extends to the rear ARB + Wishbone mount… well made and very happy, should all go together nicely with the large ARB I installed many moons ago :)

That looks a very nice bit of kit. I assume you got this shipped to the UK from the US?

Back to the top

Re:

Lhasa2008 said

That looks a very nice bit of kit. I assume you got this shipped to the UK from the US?

Yeah ordered direct from them.

Not the cheapest once shipping and tax was added on, but from how it fits and I assume the extra benefits of the x brace should be worth the extra

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
Bit of an update, snow has been a bit of an annoyance… still, few bits done.. loads left

Mainly tarting the interior up, so I can think I'm getting somewhere … stupidly let most of the original stuff go for near enough free many years ago… :'(Anyway, gave me an excuse to buy new shiny bits… always good eh. Should've spent it on oily bits, but… this makes it feel like I'm over the hump.

So bits so far ;

> Seat belts (Mine had seized since being stored) … went for red (wanted a contrast and figured GTI… might swap them out at some point, still a bit undecided)
> Carpet set, fitted 'ok' never going to be factory, but looks nice enough
> Underlay for said carpet … I put it in the wrong way, black bit facing down…. job for another day
> Over Mats
> Door Cards / Inner sheeting

Nearly done piccy -

And then… little touch… as we know the terms 'rare' and large prices get stuck on bits quite often… often for no real reason

Well, I found a NOS bit… for maybe a bit much for a ciggy lighter, but, little 'tax' compared to normal… drum roll…

Yep, a car lighter with a zippo stylee lighter on.. instead of a cigarette … yep I'm sad I know..   :lol: … still bit nicer than the usual, not that I smoke come to think of it…

Onto oily bits. So little progress my end, snow, other medical problems that I'm using as an excuse… other car to fix yada yada..

Anyway I ordered some heim jointed track rods some time ago, likewise some extended ball-joints to try and reclaim some geometry to the front suspension, being a tad lower.

Fitted -

(New brakes are sat on a shelf waiting to be fitted… forgive the rusty bits)

I measured wrong and there's still a bit of an angle on the wishbone .. but not as much = good. However I'm thinking of raising t'old girl up a tad, as the front splitter is only about an inch from the floor at the mo… speed bumps and recent pot-holes/ uncharted volcanic craters would remove it for me around here

The track rod's are designed to be flipped… so require a pin to be made, enabling it to work closer to standard. So, mercifully, I can raise it and measure before their made… should make for a tight steering machine.. woo..

And the engine… Had some progress pics from Jason -

Can't wait to see it and what it does at the end now  :POther than that I've had my Powersprint manifold shortened, I think it was about 12mm on the header part in the end, takes it away from the steering knuckle/ rubber boot nicely.. hopefully no melty fire related goings on when it's used!

Cheers,
Adam

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.